Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reasonable hotels on Santorini and Rhodes City.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Ron

Looking for reasonably priced hotels(double or twin) in range of $40 to $60 U. S. on Santorini(in Fira or Oia) and Rhodes City for early October. Any recommendations??

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Thyra

Hi Ron, we are going to Santorini in early October also, and we booked at the Loucas hotel which was recommended in Frommer's and is mentioned on this site as being a nice hotel though the staff does not help with luggage. The rates we are getting are $77 USD but that includes transfers to and from airport and breakfast. I have contacted them several times via email and have found them very responsive. They also sent me a nice color brochure and a lot of info via snail mail. Obviously I can't say for sure how it is to stay there since we have not yet, but I don't think you will have trouble. The rates in Santorini seem to go down by at least a third after August. Check out www.greektravel.com. Who knows we may see you there!

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Paulo

You actually don't need to book for the 1st week in October in Santorini. There should be plenty of availability and you may check a couple of places in person and bargain the rates way down. <BR> <BR>In Rhodes we stayed at the Plaza Hotel (all ammentities of a 4-star; it doesn't have the Greek charm; no-nonsense type of hotel, very well located, affiliated to Best Western; you'd be very satisfied with the quality to price ratio). Publlished rates for early October are GDR 21,400 which at the exchange rates as of today (average for credit cards) translates to US$ 62. If you book directly with the hotel you should get a substantial discount and the rates will certainly fall below $60 (unless the dollar plunges). <BR>Bookings may be done on line at <BR>http://www.rodos.com/plaza/index.html <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 01:37 AM
Ron

Thanks Thyra and Paulo. I'll take your advice. Do you have the e-mail address for the Loucas Hotel, Thyra?

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Bobbie

I just returned from five days in Santorini and stayed at the Loucas Hotel. The staff helped with luggage both ways and could not have been nicer. They are building a pool which should be complted in a few weeks but in the meantime we used a pool a short walk away. The views are fabulous and the breakfast quite good. Can't bet the price! I highly recommend it.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Larry

Ron: I,ve been to Santorini a number of times. If I recall, prices drop substantially on Oct 1. If you are arriving by boat, you will be met by a number of hotel representatives trying to solicit their rooms. You will be avble to bargain a great rate. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>Larry

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Thyra

Hi Ron, <BR>Here you go, This is their website: http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...lucas/home.htm <BR> <BR>Here is their email: <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Bobby, thanks for the glowing review! It makes October seem that much further away!!! Maybe we will see you there Ron! <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Ron

Thanks to all. Will wait until we arrive by ship.