UK in 5 nights - Need itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below are a few activities we would like to do in UK. What else - and where - could we do in a 5-6 night itinerary?

London
Stonehenge
Cliffs of Dover
18 holes @ St Andrews Golf
Manchester United soccer match

Any and all itinerary ideas (along with lodging recommendations) are greatly appreciated.

Best,
DMiclat
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 07:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this a legitimate question? If so, that is impossible in 4 or 5 days/5 or 6 nights.

Even in Two weeks it would be tough since you'd have to win the daily lottery at St Andrews and that could take 3-5 days right there.

>>What else - and where - could we do in a 5-6 night itinerary?<<

What <B>ELSE</B> you could do (?) . . . you won't even manage the things you already listed. First top for you is buying a good map and seeing how far part these places are (again -- IF this is for real and not a troll)
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

This is not a troll. Obviously I'm not familiar with UK so any help would be helpful.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 07:45 AM

With 5-6 nights you can see London and do a day trip to Stonehenge/Salisbury.

Get a good guidebook to see what sites you want to see in London.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM

This forum works best if you have specific questions. If you haven't made the most minimal effort to find out where you can go and what you want to see in your short time in London, why should we take our time telling you?

The research opportunities are very immense these days: guidebooks from the book store or library -- or Amazon; all sorts of information on the Internet; travel classes offered at libraries and community colleges. Or take a tour where they make all the decisions for you.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 08:18 AM

And of course when you're going matters. ManU doesn't schedule around you. If you're going in June or July, no EPL football.

As Mimar said, however, you could have determined that from an internet search too.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 08:30 AM

>>Obviously I'm not familiar with UK so any help would be helpful<<

That is why I suggested you first look at a map. For instance Dover and St Andrews are nearly 600 miles /1000 kilometers apart. Dover to Stonehenge - 160 miles / 260 kilometers

(BTW - The likelihood of getting tickets to a ManU match are slim to none)

Get to a library or bookshop, look at a map, read a couple of guidebooks, come back and ask more focused questions.

W/ just 5 or 6 days you would have time for a brief look around London and maybe a day trip to either Stonehenge OR Dover.

Then - any suggestions re where you should stay depends on what your budget is. So how much do you want to spend per night?
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Concur with the above that London plus one of Stonehenge or Dover works. I'd do Stonehenge and Avebury and possibly some of the other interesting features in that area. You might find an archaeological-oriented tour company to take you around.

Presuming the soccer football match is very important to you, I'd plan your trip when United is playing one of the EPL London clubs (currently around five) in London while you're there and order tickets well in advance. That way, you won't have to travel to Manchester and back.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:43 AM

At least give us some basics:

Who and how many are you?

When are you going?

What kind of budget are you looking at for a hotel and what do you expect for that (specific amount in pounds)? Cheap and cheerful? Moderate and pleasant? Luxury and cost not an issue?

Most rooms have one double bed for two people. Will that work for you? Or are you more people? Do you need separate beds?
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Oh- and agree that you have time for a quick view of London and one day trip.

If you are determined to do St Andrews you will need to forget London and soccer and just do a Scotland trip.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM

You approach your vacation the same way I do - list all the things you're interested in, then put them together like a puzzle.

My list last summer included Cadbury World, Bath, Brighton, Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) and as many Welsh castles as possible.

It helped that I started in Wales, but the principle is the same. I even fit in Stonehenge on my way back to Wales from Brighton. (You will spend more time getting to Stonehenge than you will visiting it, so do try to combine that trip with another destination in the same direction.)

The suggestion of attending a ManU away game is a very good one - either at a London club as suggested, or study the ManU travel schedule and see if they are going anywhere near anything else you want to see.

London could easily fill your entire trip, but you may feel that a trip out of the city is more important to you than seeing ALL the historic sights, or experiencing EVERY tourist attraction. Choose your own priorities, because these will be your memories.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 11:14 AM

Do Stonehenge as a day trip from London and forget about the rest.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Everyone - Thank you for the kind and earnest replies. All of the information helps tremendously and it's clear we will be focusing our limited time in London with maybe a day excursion to either Dover or Stonehenge.

Also, looks like St Andrews is out this time over the pond. With that said, I'm hoping to play maybe 9 holes at a good course near London and/or on the way to/from Dover/Stonehenge.

Does anyone have any thoughts on good courses in those areas? I've looked some up on the internet but I've had my share of playing courses that looked fine on a display but turned out to be rundown fields with a hole at one end.

Thanks again! Much appreciated
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 03:57 PM

OK -- the logistics don't work. Dover Castle is a full day's trip from London and back - no time for a round of golf.

Just the train travel alone takes 1.5 to 2 hours to Dover (depending on which train/station you use) So 3 to 4 hours just for the trains - then the Castle takes at least 4 hours, and then cliffs . . . so a full day w/o getting to some golf course.

Almost the same w/ Salisbury/Stonehenge.To Salisbury - about 1.5 hours each way for the train. This local course <i>might</i> work http://www.salisburygolf.co.uk . . . but w/ the new visitors center, the local tour bus to Stonehenge and return will likely take a minimum of 3 hours. Do you really want to spend time playing a dinky local course?