Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Begging In Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/begging-in-europe-348043/)

brookwood Apr 22nd, 2008 12:36 PM

Begging In Europe

Now that the dollar has sunk to an all time low against the euro (it broke through $1.60 = €1.00) I need suggestions for effective ways to panhandle on the streets.

To date I have been approached by people who simply walked up and demanded money. Others were soliciting funds for Kosovo relief, while still others tried to pick my pocket.

Any suggestions for creative fund raising methods for poor Americans while in Europe?

I already have a paid for airline ticket, and I am reluctant not to use it because it is non refundable. That would be an even larger loss.

Perhaps we could make a deal with the Navajos and sell jewelry on the streets?? Wonder how many I can cram into my suitcase?

The other question is: Can I get enough clothes in my carry-on to do me until I come back if my checked luggage is full of trinkets??

G_Hopper Apr 22nd, 2008 01:05 PM

I had a hardcore musician friend in Seattle who would offer to hurl himself to the ground for a dollar. I think this method would go over well in Europe - but you should practice a lot before you go.

FainaAgain Apr 22nd, 2008 01:32 PM

I hope you are a female and can offer the world's oldest service job? ;)

Padraig Apr 22nd, 2008 01:57 PM

FainaAgain wrote: "I hope you are a female and can offer the world's oldest service job"

No need to be sexist! There are opportunities for men also. [Or so I am told.]

ComfyShoes Apr 22nd, 2008 02:25 PM

Funny post.

G_Hopper, A neighborhood mongolian restaurant used to have people who would hurl themselves on the floor for a buck. I had to stop going there after I saw a man hurl himself so hard that he actually started bleeding after accidentally hitting his face against a chair! Not good when you have your kids with you.

suec1 Apr 22nd, 2008 02:44 PM

Why beg? begin now to polish a street performance! Mime? metallic robot? oh I know! some kind of Bush mocking - that would go over big time! Good luck with your trip!

brookwood Apr 22nd, 2008 02:54 PM

In London I have heard musicians playing in the tube stations.

In Paris one trip, a guy suddenly popped on the Metro with a saxophone and started playing. He saw easily that I was an American and started playing Yankee Doodle.

So much for trying to look like a Parisian!! No I did not have on a Red Sox hat or a Notre Dame sweater.

In Salzburg I heard one of the best street recitals ever. We were window shopping in the Old Town when I heard the unmistakable sound of La Gazza Ladra. I followed my ears to the source and found 3 young virtuosos playing away on a most unusual set of instruments: an accordion, a mandolin, and a cello-sized balalaika. They were flying through Rossini overtures like the notes were programmed into their genes. Perhaps so.

I must admit that the kid on the accordion had a muscular build to squeeze that thing as vigorously as he did, particularly when he got to the finale of William Tell.

FainaAgain Apr 22nd, 2008 03:25 PM

Padraig, I apologize. Living in San Francisco, it was silly for me to be such a sexist. I will work on my attitude, restitude, uptitude, and whatever other tudes there are.

:-p

P_M Apr 22nd, 2008 03:38 PM

I could never beg for money in any part of the world. Begging is demeaning and you would be making yourself a public nusiance. I can see that you really haven't thought this through, so please accept some common sense advice.

The best way to beat the weak exchange on the dollar is shoplifting. Just go into a store carrying a big empty bag. As soon as the clerk looks away, take whatever you want and run like hell. You'll be surprised at how much money you will save when everything is free.

And if you get caught stealing, that's OK too. This will be a great opportunity to extend your European vacation. They will provide you a free place to stay and 3 squares a day. All you have to do in return is bust a few rocks. And upon your release, they might even pay for your deportation. So you'll get a free ticket home to boot.

Begging....puLEEZE!!!! [-X

Carrybean Apr 22nd, 2008 03:44 PM

I usually see women with tiny babies on the tube going up & down the cars begging. You have to have a doleful expression on your face but since you're male that would be something different & you might make more. Maybe they rent out babies for this activity?

Or borrow a couple of cute little kids to go into pubs & snatch wallets, cell phones, packages. You'd have to split the take though.

Travelnut Apr 22nd, 2008 03:46 PM

In S.Fran, on Fishermans Wharf, I saw a 'busker' sitting on a curb, with a bucket and a sign:
"Beer Money".

So maybe you could place yourself in strategic locations with a bucket and a sign:
"Biere money"
or
"Macarons money" ... ?

FainaAgain Apr 22nd, 2008 03:46 PM

P_M =D> :))

kenderina Apr 22nd, 2008 03:52 PM

"All you have to do in return is bust a few rocks "

Hey, P_M, that's not Spain. Here you do nothing...oh, well, you can study a degree if you wish to. But if you do the shoplifting in the right place, you can have a shared room with a seaview for some months ;)

P_M Apr 22nd, 2008 03:54 PM

No kidding?? Well that does it, I'm on my way to Spain!! :-) Can you recommend a few stores in coastal cities where I'm likely to get caught? /:)

annw Apr 22nd, 2008 04:02 PM

I think doing Tarot readings for a fee would actually be the most ethical approach to increasing revenue. Just be sure you make up good stuff so you get a good tip. You won't be going for repeat customers anyway.

kenderina Apr 22nd, 2008 04:03 PM

Well, the best one is Santander, just at the seaside surrounded by green pastures ! I think the Corte Ingles department store would do the trick quite well ! And if you don't get caught at least you will have a range of best quality products....:P

kenderina Apr 22nd, 2008 04:05 PM

By the way, Carrybean..they rent out babies for that (seriously!).

Padraig Apr 22nd, 2008 04:23 PM

Bring some brass rings with you to Europe.

ComfyShoes Apr 22nd, 2008 04:48 PM

Seaside locale, green pastures, shared accomodations?? brookwood, I think Kenderina is sending you to a meaningful, long lasting relationship with your future room-mate :)

brookwood Apr 22nd, 2008 07:04 PM

Sorry, but my girlfriend usually comes with me to Europe, and other places too.

In other words I am spoken for, willingly. She's a very good driver.

How is the car hijacking business in Europe?

My friend who lived in Bulgaria says that thieves from farther east hijack luxury cars in a lead-lined van to defeat any GPS chips that may be lurking in the crevices of the vehicle.