Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Before you travel to another country, do you read about their culture?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What prompted this question is a recent thread asking what Fodors posters were currently reading. I may be wrong, but in that thread, I didn't see a lot of people reading books about the culture, the habits, and the "inside" knowledge of the type of hospitality to expect in a particular country.

I am not talking about typical travel books or guidebooks, but books that go deeper into the culture. Even perhaps books about current political figures, current artists, etc.

Anyone?
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:13 AM

I have, but not so much historical fiction and that sort of thing. I tend to try to find on-line news services for the country for current events - hoping for an English version as well as a local language version so that it helps with the language if applicable. I look for online academic papers for historical aspects of the place I want to (not always already planning to) visit.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I tend to top up the usual Where to eat guidebooks with eth Insight Series. They have a large section on culture and history- usually about half the book.

I also use the reading list from the back of the appropriate Rough Guide, but I nearly always find I buy more when I'm there.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM

I try to read a couple of books written by nationals of any country I visit before I go. (Assuming there's an English translation available.) I also enjoy reading fiction, memoir, travelogues that are set in the country or region I'm about to visit--anything that will give me a flavor of what is to come. If I'm lucky enough to visit a place more than once, then I start delving more deeply--maybe reading a political or cultural history of the area.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM
rex

What books would you recommend to Europeans to learn about American culture? History? Fashion? The sociology of media? race? Is Michael Moore "American culture"? Is Bill O'Reilly?

My answering your uestion with more questions is not intended to be flip nor sarcastic. I don't think books are the right medium to begin to learn about a culture.

I think that magazines are. And yes, I do try to find magazines that introduce me to what people are thinking about and reading about in contemporary "anyland". Obviously, the more accessible the language, the better this works (I cannot claim that I succeeded with this approach on recent travels to Prague, and briefly into Poland, for example).

Except for those countries where English is the first language, it's all the more reason that acquiring at least some beginner's familiarity with language (vocabulary, more inportant than grammar or pronunciation, in this case) - - can add immensely to the enjoyment and satisfaction you will get from a trip.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:34 AM

No. I don't.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM

I read the usual guidebooks and online news info. A lot of my trips are based on my desire to visit and see places I've only read about (both fiction and non-fiction). I often travel to a country that I know something about already. I love British history and go to visit some of the historical sites I've read about. Same thing with ancient Greek history and mythology. It really enhances the trip when I've done this.
I've also gone on trips where I know very little about the country. These trips are still fun but the ones I remember more fondly are the ones that I knew a lot about the country's history.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Many times it is the reading of something about the place or culture that makes me want to travel there. By the time I have made the decision to visit a place, the reading I am doing is the Guide books.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Yes,Of course!!! Makes the trip much more meaningful, and inclusive. (some prefer to read about a place AFTER returning home, and that is fun also!)

On the other hand "Budman" must have his reasons for responding "No, I don't".
To each his own!
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I suspect folks who take the time to read up on the culture of a place get a lot more out of their trip, or at least different things out of their trip, than people who know little or nothing about the culture.

On the other hand, some people do not feel the need for this additional information and not having it doesn't in any way detract from their overall experience.

What people say they are currently reading may, or may not, give an accurate picture of their outlook and personality.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:29 AM
cmt

Yes, but not necessarily as a way of "cramming" for the trip. Generally I don't think it occurs to me to go to a particular country or region of a country unless I've already read about its culture or been exposed to its culture in some way that stimulated my imagination, through friends or art museum exhibits or college history and literature courses. I guess that's why I have not yet seriously thought of going to Scandinavia although it looks beautiful in photos. I usually don't know much, if anything, about the country's politics before I go. Sometimes I'm relatively ignorant when I go to a country or region, but the visit sparks my interest and then I do further reading and inquiry after I get back.

The only places I've been without having any particular interest in the culture are places in the Caribbean where I was more interested in snorkling/swimming/plants and animals than the culture.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Forgot to add, before I go anywhere, whether or not I am familiar with the history, etc, I always try to make sure I know about the cultural do's and don't's. I just don't want to be accidentally rude or offensive or be labelled an ignorant American.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:38 AM

One of the joys of traveling is learning about the culture. I read about it before I go but the best way to learn about other cultures is to immerse yourself in them.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 09:21 AM
ira

Nope.

I just buy airline tickets. About two months before departure, I send posts to fodors.com asking for hotel and restaurant recommendations, suggested guided tours and what to see.

Upon returning, my only contact with fodors.com is to complain about the people, the food, the weather, transportation, scenery and how badly the dollar is doing.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I suppose I'll have to confess to not being a Renaissance Woman, but the only information I've sought out about the modern culture of countries I'm planning to visit has been in guide books and in history books.

So far, I've visited France, England, Wales, Italy, Amsterdam, Germany, and Spain, all modern European countries. Somehow, I think that trying to define their cultures today would not be productive, much as defining the culture of the United States of America approaching the year 2005 would be subjective and difficult to do, and, ultimately for me, depressing. What would I point to, objectively, as representative of American culture? Brittany Spears? The Olson twins? And yet, we are much more than that.

When I travel, I am most interested in the history of the country, the natural landscape, the geology, the architecture, and the art. My plate is full.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:13 AM

One thing I forgot to mention: Our trip next year will be to China. For that trip, I plan to read extensively about the modern culture, politics, and attitudes in preparation, because modern China is still such a mystery to me.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Lots of different replies to my question. Different strokes for different folks. I find that I agree in part with almost everyone.

In ejcrowe's corner: I too read books of foreign authors when they are translated into English.

In Nibblette's corner: I agree wholeheartedly with learning the do's and don't(s) of a country's culture.

In Rex's corner: I think the magazine comment is an important medium to consider.

In MaryFran's corner: Interesting remark about China. I work with the Chinese (via internet), and they are quite amazing people.

I'm out of corners, but Ira, you're center ring...such dry wit!

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM

I_am_Kane,

At the risk of being scolded for posting a China question on the Europe forum, can you suggest any helpful reading on China, especially modern China?
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM
ira

Thank you, I_am,

Hi Mary_Fran

>Somehow, I think that trying to define their cultures today would not be productive, .....

>Our trip next year will be to China. For that trip, I plan to read extensively about the modern culture, politics, and attitudes in preparation, because modern China is still such a mystery to me.<

As I thought about this, I realized that you are not contradicting yourself.

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I don't. Honestly the idea never crossed my mind.

Upon arrival I do like to watch local TV and read the tabloid press, now THAT shows most to me about current culture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -