Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Before going to So. Spain, better to fly into Madrid or Barcelona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/before-going-to-so-spain-better-to-fly-into-madrid-or-barcelona-36650/)

arline Jan 11th, 1999 02:08 AM

Before going to So. Spain, better to fly into Madrid or Barcelona?

We will have 3+ days before needing to be in the south coast of Spain (Malaga). Flying from L.A., Calif., best to fly into Madrid or Barcelona as we can only see one city? My feeling and preference seems to be to see Barcelona, especially for the Gaudi architecture, but I'm concerned that it's too far from Malaga as we would be taking a train and it appears to be quite slow. Any advice? How long is the train ride? Or, how much, round trip, to fly?

Monica Jan 11th, 1999 04:40 AM

I would fly into Madrid. Though there is the Gaudi architecture in Barcelona, Madrid is also a great city. If you've seen enough of Madrid, go on day trips to Toledo and Segovia.

arline Jan 15th, 1999 01:06 AM

I'm bringing this back up as I only got one response and will hope for more!

Hyalker Amaral Jan 15th, 1999 09:28 AM

I would agree that under your time constraints, Madrid would be a better option. As it is, you could, like in many European capitals, spend a few weeks. If the trip is soon, the parks may not be as "beautiful" as in warmer weather, but between the parks, museums, the overall architecture, food and nightlife, there's ample to do. You also have easy day trips to Segovia (site of Roman aqueduct/ architecture/ food), Toledo (El Greco/cool shopping (Lladros far cheaper than Madrid/US and gold work)) Avila, etc. Another suggestion, though, would be to spend your time in southern Spain instead since I consider it an overlooked spot. The triangle between Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla offers a wonderful contrast in the Roman Catholic versus Islamic/Moorish architecture and art, plus the Sierra Nevada mountains at this time of year make for a wonderful backdrop in Granada. If expense is a concern, this would also provide greater flexibility and the level/prevalence of English continues to rise.

Hyalker Amaral Jan 15th, 1999 09:28 AM

I would agree that under your time constraints, Madrid would be a better option. As it is, you could, like in many European capitals, spend a few weeks. If the trip is soon, the parks may not be as "beautiful" as in warmer weather, but between the parks, museums, the overall architecture, food and nightlife, there's ample to do. You also have easy day trips to Segovia (site of Roman aqueduct/ architecture/ food), Toledo (El Greco/cool shopping (Lladros far cheaper than Madrid/US and gold work)) Avila, etc. Another suggestion, though, would be to spend your time in southern Spain instead since I consider it an overlooked spot. The triangle between Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla offers a wonderful contrast in the Roman Catholic versus Islamic/Moorish architecture and art, plus the Sierra Nevada mountains at this time of year make for a wonderful backdrop in Granada. If expense is a concern, this would also provide greater flexibility and the level/prevalence of English continues to rise.