Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Beer Tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/beer-tour-89283/)

Fred Oct 8th, 2000 08:24 AM

Beer Tour

I am planning a short visit to Belgium for beer tasting. Any suggestions what city is the best to locate (Brugges/Brussels/Antwerp) and where to go? <BR>Thanks.

wes fowler Oct 8th, 2000 11:21 AM

Fred, the following is apparently too lengthy for Fodor's to accommodate in posting. You may find some parts of it interesting. In a happy coincidence, I just forwarded it in the last week or so to a Fodor's correspondent who contacted me directly. <BR> <BR>First, however, I wonder if you’re familiar with the Celis brewery of <BR>Austin, Texas. Pierre Celis, a Belgian brewmaster has been creating <BR>Belgian style beers in Austin since the early ‘90s. He produces Celis <BR>White, an herb flavored wheat beer similar to Belgium’s Hoegaarden as <BR>well as the more familiar lembecs. <BR> <BR>Now, for some background: there are four basic types of beers in <BR>Belgium, many of them regional in nature. <BR> <BR>Lambic or Lembec is a naturally fermented beer with delicate carbonation <BR>to which fruit flavors ( cherry, raspberry, peach, apple cider) have <BR>been added. Faro is a low alcohol content Lambic. These are popularly <BR>known as “ladies beers”. <BR> <BR>Gueuze blends young and aged Lambic to create a sweeter beer. You could <BR>equate the difference to that of a single malt whisky to a blend. <BR> <BR>Wheat beers are made with a concentration of wheat as well as barley <BR>malts. They’re tart and frothy. <BR> <BR>Finally, the premier beers of Belgium are the Trappist beers, rich dark <BR>ales produced by monasteries, Chimay and Orval being the best known. <BR>The Westmalle monastery produces a “Triple” beer that is a truly fine <BR>Pilsner type. <BR> <BR>There are two beer museums in Brussels. The Maisojn des Brasseurs <BR>(Brewer’s House), just to the left of the entrance of the Stadthuis at <BR>10 Grand Place is sponsored by the Confederation of Belgian Breweries <BR>and offers a quick tour and tasting. The Musee Bruxellois de la Gueuze <BR>at 56 rue Gheude near the Gare Midi metro staetion offers self guided <BR>tours and tastings. <BR> <BR>Bieres Artisanales, 174 Chaussee de Wavre, Brussels is a shop with a <BR>comprehensive selection of Belgian beers.

wes fowler Oct 8th, 2000 11:23 AM

There are three cafes in Brussels featuring interesting beers. In’t <BR>Spinnekopke at 1 Place du Jardin aux Fleurs has a wheat beer brewed with <BR>curacao and coriander rather than hops. It’s a cloudy white wheat <BR>beer. Mort Subite (Sudden Death, named after a dice game, not the <BR>beer’s after effects) is at 7 rue Rontagne aux Heres and offers a beer <BR>of the same name. De Ultieme Hallucinatie (the final hallucination) at <BR>315 rue Royale serves a beer of the same name as well as an interesting <BR>Cantillon framboise. <BR> <BR>In Brugge, visit the café ‘tBrugs Beertje at 5 Kemelstraat just off <BR>Simon Stevinplein. It offers over 300 of Belgium’s beers. Brugge has a <BR>brewery, the “Straffe Hendrick”, that’s been in operation for over 450 <BR>years and offers tours. <BR> <BR>Regarding the eccentric names of some of the beers, if you’re in Ghent, <BR>look for the beer with the intriguing name Delirium Tremens, served in a <BR>brandy snifter upon which pink elephants are embossed. <BR> <BR>Louvain (Leuven) is the home of the Stella Artois brewery. Stella <BR>Artois is about as exciting a Budweiser or Miller. <BR> <BR>Antwerp has an excellent beer, De Koninck, an all malt beer. Just north <BR>of Antwerp in Mechelen, you’ll find Gouden Carolus a strong dark ale <BR>much like some of the monastic beers. <BR> <BR>If you write to the Campaign for Real Ale, Pox 5, 67 rue des Atrebates, <BR>Brussels B1040 you can get a guide that describes cafes throughout <BR>Belgium where you can sample the regional beers. <BR> <BR>

wes fowler Oct 8th, 2000 11:29 AM

an't help you, Dan, on how to bring beer back from Belgium. I''ve never done <BR>it. There is a thread on Fodor's posted by someone wanting to bring back half <BR>a keg of German beer that prompted some interesting responses, particularly the <BR>one that suggested getting bottled beer, wrapping it in socks and stowing them <BR>in a backpack! <BR> <BR>Increasingly, Belgian food (and beer) are becoming fads in the states. In <BR>recent weeks the New York Times and the Atlanta Constitution had articles on <BR>the increasing numbers of Belgian restaurants and Belgian chefs that are <BR>becoming successful in introducing Belgian cuisine to the U.S. In suburban <BR>Atlanta's liquor stores and farmer's markets, we are increasingly finding <BR>Belgian beers. You may, too, if you shop around and question store <BR>proprietors. I've had no trouble finding De Koninck, Lindemans lambics and De <BR>Kluis' Hoegaarden in suburban Atlanta and Baltimore. If you do bring Belgian <BR>beer home, try to limit yourself to the Trappist beers; they're not available <BR>here at all. <BR> <BR>Interesting to find that many of the Belgian beers are corked as well as <BR>capped, particularly the lambics. Have even found beer in ceramic crocks here. <BR> <BR>Interesting, too, to find that unlike American bars and cafes that feature neon signs in their windows advertising the beers they purvey, Belgian cafes dispaly an array of beer glasses, each one distinctive and representative of a particular brewery or brand. <BR> <BR>I hope this information has been of help. If you’ve got any questions, <BR>feel free to Email me, particularly if you’re interested in the location <BR>of the monastery breweries or want driving directions. (Most are located <BR>in the southeastern part of Belgium, although the Monastery of St. <BR>Sixtus is in Westvieteren about an hours drive from Brugge.)

an Oct 8th, 2000 03:04 PM

One of the best Beer Cities in Belgium <BR>is Ghent (Gent) <BR>Nearby the Vrijdagmarkt there are 2 special Beer cafés with more than 800 beers, served in special ways. <BR>cheers,

Brian in Atlanta Oct 10th, 2000 07:28 AM

Fred, search for "Ghent Trip Report" and you'll pull up my trip report from May in which you'll find some info on beer and bars in Belgium.