Beer in Northern Italy

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Beer in Northern Italy

Will be in Santa Margherita Ligure and Monterosso soon and will likely want to stop in a bar or cafe for a beer. Anyone have any recommended Italian brands? I don't want to order just a "beer" but also don't want to simply see a beer sign and order the equivalent of a Busch Light. Not that they're anything wrong with Busch Light . . .

Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:25 AM
wes fowler

Brian,
The beer that immediately comes to mind is Peroni; drag yourself up to the La Strada restaurant in Marietta on Johnson Ferry Rd and sample it there.
There's another, not sure whether it's Morelli or Moretti; imbibed too many when the last opportunity presented itself.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Patrick

Wes, I know those t's can look like l's after a few, but I'm pretty sure I was still sober enough to see that the correct name is Moretti. Actually I liked Moretti better than Peroni. And of course one can always simply sit back and yell out ala Marlon Brando, "STELLA".

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Bob

Try "Nastro Azzurro" beer. It's made by Peroni but its their premium brand. By the way, from looking at the supermarket shelves in Italy, its apparent to me that most Italians drink beer from Germany, Holland etc. and not from Italy. That's probably the result of the open markets in Europe. Who knows, maybe most Germans drink Italian wine.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 05:54 AM
frank

My experience is the same as Bob's.When Italians want better beer they buy German.(expensive)
Otherwise they drink Peroni.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:19 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Brian, All of the above posts are correct, and I should know. My friend Ed and I made it a point to drink beer all over Italy and stopped counting at 15 various brands. However, most of the time all you have to say is Carlberg or Heineken. BTW, Moretti is correct and very good.