Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Beep,beep--better to use taxi or combo train/taxi from Heathrow? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/beep-beep-better-to-use-taxi-or-combo-train-taxi-from-heathrow-739278/)

travlintoes Sep 27th, 2007 08:09 AM

Beep,beep--better to use taxi or combo train/taxi from Heathrow?

Is it about the same dollars for family of 4 to take cab from Heathrow direct to hotel in Pimlico area --or is train to Paddington and then taxi on to hotel better? I've been trying to compare rates, but still not sure. Train and taxi to hotel less time than straight taxi from airport? Thanks.

Judy

Robespierre Sep 27th, 2007 08:21 AM

Since your first sentence contains "same dollars" I assume there might be some price sensitivity.

The Heathrow Express to Paddington is the most expensive way, and leaves you miles from Pimlico. Heathrow Connect costs a little less.

For four people, justairports.com is a viable alternative, and offers the convenience of door-to-door service. Their Heathrow Special is £23 just now.

If you'll be acquiring an Oyster Card, the Tube fare could be as little as £1 per adult (children may ride free, depending on age).

The Dirt Cheapest way to travel in Greater London is by bus. It takes somewhat longer than the Tube, but traveling on an unlimited weekly pass costs £2 per day, children under 16 free. No Peak Period or zone restrictions.

travlintoes Sep 27th, 2007 10:43 AM

Robespierre--Thanks for the info. I'll check out their website.

As far as the money part, sure I would like to save $ when I can, but not necessarily at the expense of a lot more time on the road. I really don't think the bus is an option.

Again, thanks.

Judy

MFNYC Sep 27th, 2007 11:32 AM

We also used justairport for transportation for our family of 4. There are discounts if you pay with cash and purchase roundtrip fare. It was very reasonable compared to a taxi, and very convenient. They told us exactly where to meet them in the terminal near the baggage claim area. There was no waiting.

While in London we purchased family passes fore the tube. They are probably the best deal in London, a rael bargain.

Robespierre Sep 27th, 2007 01:22 PM

We almost always ride the bus - the most notable exception on some trips being from/to Heathrow.

Alas, the family pass was withdrawn about two (three?) years ago. But it was good while it lasted.

annhig Sep 27th, 2007 01:29 PM

hi, travlintoes,

" I really don't think the bus is an option"

Why not? - it's the cheapest option, you get a great view, you get to see the "in between bits" and if you see an interesting bit, you can jump off.

even if you don't fancy it for the heathrow link, do consider it during the rest of the trip.

regards, ann

alanRow Sep 27th, 2007 01:55 PM

Bus - as opposed to coach - is not an option for Heathrow to central London because it requires taking 3 to 5 buses and will take a minimum of 1h40 up to 2h30m

You can get a £3.50 day ticket just for buses which covers all zones or use a PAYG Oystercard which will cap at £3 if you use the buses only

Otherwise you pay £2 per busride

travlintoes Sep 27th, 2007 04:15 PM

Annhig--I do enjoy the bus for general travel in London--just not from Heathrow to London Hotel. Actually, one of the first things we plan to do the day we arrive is hop on one of the hop on, hop off bus routes. Do you hae a favorite?

MFNYC--Robespierre suggested same link. I dropped them an email for more info. Don't know how much we will save though (discount) as we need it only one way.

AlanRow--thanks for your input too.

Judy

TimS Sep 27th, 2007 04:56 PM

One more option would be to take a National Express coach from Heathrow to Victoria. The fare is £4 for adults and £2 for children. Then take a taxi to your hotel. See www.nationalexpress.com.

travlintoes Sep 27th, 2007 05:12 PM

TimS--Great info. Looks like I'll have to register to really use it. I'll work on it.

Thanks

Judy

KidsToLondon Sep 28th, 2007 08:03 AM

When considering which of the various ways to get from Heathrow to your hotel, I'd add one additional factor: jet lag.

Not sure what your arrival flight is, but assuming it's an overnight, cross-Atlantic journey--and assuming you're not flying business class--your family group may be fairly zombied upon arrival in London. (Not sure "zombied" is a word, but it fits here.)

In that case, you might want to opt for the most direct, less hassle transport from LHR to hotel. In my humble opinion, that would be a car service like JustAirports, or a competitor. They meet you at the arrivals terminal, help load luggage, and take you direct to the hotel.

London's extensive bus, subway, and rail system is a wonderful way to get around town after you get settled in.

Dave
email at kidstolondon.com