Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Been There, Done That" vs "Must Return" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/been-there-done-that-vs-must-return-704226/)

curmudgeon May 10th, 2007 09:58 PM

"Been There, Done That" vs "Must Return"

As I was reading through various topics tonight, I was struck by the wide range of what people enjoy in their travels. What is a truly special experience to some, is just mildly interesting to others. It's part of what makes the world interesting, but for travel advice, you will likely be happier giving more weight to postings from people who enjoy similar tastes.

So I thought I'd throw out a post asking folks to rate places on a 1-10 scale for THEMSELVES, with 1 being a "I'd rather sit in a hotel room watching incomprehensible TV than go to that site", and 10 being a "I return here again and again instead of exploring more of the world". 5's are places that you may well return to sometimes because of some external factor (cost, going with someone else, etc).

I'll throw a few of mine out; some are regions/cities, others are specific attractions in an area. I figure I can't afford any 10's, or I'd never see anything new (actually, there was one "10" for me in the US, but it's no longer an option).

I know I'm not in tune with the norm, that's not the point. You can and should have your own different values for many of these places.

London - 8 so much to do and see

Paris - 5 in comparison with London, I can't enjoy the theatre.

Venice - 9 I'm not sure why; it surprised me that I liked it so much.

Munich - 2 Another big city (I may not have given it sufficient chance).

Oxford - 5 Fun to visit once.

Devon/Cornwall - 8 We really enjoyed this area

Scotland - 7 Also enjoyable, but didn't grab us quite as much (could have used more time there, though)

Cote D'Azur - 5 I'd go back, but not as a top priority, and not spending lots of time in Nice or Monaco.

Provence - 6 Maybe because we live in California, while we enjoyed Provence, it didn't really grab us.

Normandy - 8 It was a combination of the villages, the friendliness of the people, the D-Day connection...

Calais/Pas-du-Nord 2 Nothing much to see, and unfriendly in feel.

Salzburg region - 9 People and scenery; we really enjoyed.

Rhine River - 5 The most scenic areas were interesting, but we liked the Mosel better.

Mosel River - 8 Charming towns, low key, nice people.

Black Forest - 3 Didn't compare to the forests and mountains elsewhere (including here in California).

Versaille - 6 Being trashed in the revolution takes away some of the feel of continuous history from the place.

Stonehenge - 3 Just doesn't do it for me.

Tower of London - 9 But this one does; go figure.

Westminster Abbey - 9 Deep sense of history.

St Pauls - 5 Another big church

Notre Dame - 6 Maybe the trashing from the revolution effect

Chartres Cathredral - 9 The stained glass, and the preserved surroundings, and the magic on our first visit.

Neuchwanstein - 6 Well worth a first visit, not so much a draw for a return.

Chiemsee - 7 The lake setting is special.

Hampton Court - 6 Again worth visiting once, not as high for a return. Suburban surroundings.

Windsor - 7 The town adds to the draw here.

Blenheim Palace - 7 Village, house, and park all work together on this one.

Throwing a few of my top non-European ones in; Great Barrier Reef - 9, Yosemite - 9, Hawaii - 6 (but volcano is 9), Williamsburg - 7, ... Oh well, it was fun thinking back to some of those trips; with the current exchange rate, we're doing less overseas travel.

djman102 May 11th, 2007 01:07 AM

Of the places I've been (scale being hypothetical as my European travels are limited):

Rome, 9: The more trip reports I read, the more I want to go back!

N Ireland, 8: Much left undone from the last visit.

England, 5: Return would be nice, not necessary (except maybe to go to a Premiership match)

Paris, TBD: we leave in 5 weeks! Again, though, the more I read, the more ready I am to go!

ira May 11th, 2007 05:03 AM

Hi C,

Interesting question,

Paris - 11
Venice - 10
The Dordogne region - 9
The Amalfi Coast - 8
Copenhagen - 7
Prague - 6
London - 5
Naples - 4
Amsterdam - 3
Munich - 2
Rodez - 1

((I))

jeff49 May 11th, 2007 05:10 AM

Paris -10 – been there bunches of times but it keeps calling me back, just got back and would go again tomorrow

Northumberland area of England - 10 – Beautiful area and friendliest folks ever

Mull - 10 – I could live there

The rest of Scotland - 9 – If I could just learn the language

Rome - 5 – just doesn’t draw me like the others

Venice - 6 – after several visits, the charm wanes and it starts to look more touristy

Belgium - 9 – especially Brugge, Ghent, Antwerp

Amsterdam - 5 – maybe if I was younger

Germany - 5 – I’ve seen the highlights, not dreaming of seeing them again

Anywhere in Eastern Europe - 9 – I’m always pleasantly surprised

DinPa May 11th, 2007 05:15 AM

Paris-9
Venice-9
Positano-8
Capri--7 (Blue Grotto-1)
Vegas-9
Siena-9
Key West-9
New Orleans-8
Sicily-summer-2
Sicily-fall--8
San Franciso-8
Anywhere with my loving wife--12

julieah May 11th, 2007 05:18 AM

1: France, anywhere. 2: Rome

tripgirl May 11th, 2007 05:29 AM

Been so many places: but I will take a stab:

Paris: ( like Ira, but I'll say 12, just to be different): I do go back frequently

Cote D' Azur: 10 : spent a summer here and would go back in a heartbeat

Normandy: 5: enjoyed, but once was probably enough. If had the occasion to go back, would go

Barcelona: 10+: loved it loved it

Madrid: 3: not high on my list again

London: 10: Love this city, but find it hard with exchange rate and we are luxury travelers to boot!

Small towns in England( oxford, Great Milton, etc): 3-4: Not really a small town gal nor is DH a small town guy
Cuties though

Ireland: 3: Saw the whole country. Once was enough. People: great. But to tell the truth , I need more bustle and more of a Med feel

Scotland: 3: As above. Again, lovely, glad we went.

Amsterdam: 3-4: once was enough. Good time though

Germany: 4-5: I'm just not a big fan of Germany for personal reasons, but very glad to have experienced Munich and Berlin for the history

Austria: 5: Seen enogh of it now. No need or draw to go back. Lovely and highly recommend

Prague: 7; Darling, darling

Switzerland: 7-8: Would want to go back and spend a bit more time

Croatia: 9-10: A winner all around.

Slovenia: 4: cutie, but I'm done

Greece: 12-13!!! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT. Would move there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Italy: 12-13: Go back as often as I can. Capri: 13+! Florence: 13+, rome 12, Venice: 10, Milan: 5, Amalfi Coast: 13+ Naples: 5, Vatican: 7 ( would like to do it again)

Belgium: 5. Am going again this summer as a layover to home. Excited to see Brussels again, especially for the chocolate and mussels and the Grand Place ( my favorite square in Europe), but would have not made a special trip again if not for a layover.

Hungary: 7: Needed more time there. I'm half Hungarian

Montenegro: 4: Pretty, but one of those that I did and now done

Monaco: 10+: love all of it. Like this kind of setting. To eat at Louis 15th again would be my idea of heaven!

Mexico: 8, going again for New Year

Japan: 9: would like the chance to go again

Thailand: 12+ LOVED IT!!!!

China: 8: Would love to explore more of it, especially Shanghai

Argentina: 13+ Ready to pack up and move to Buenos Aires!!!

Uruguay: 4: Cutie, but no burning need to return

Brazil: 6: need more time to explore outside Rio

Canada: 9: the flight is cheap and it's close, why don't I go more???
LOVE MONTREAL!

In anticipation of my summer trip I am going to guess the following:;

Copenhagen: 7
Stockholm: 8
Russia: 7-8

nice thread, thanks!

tripgirl May 11th, 2007 05:33 AM

I forgot to add under Italy:

Tuscany Hill towns: 12+: Not being a small town gal, but these are different. Love them: siena, Montalcino, Pienza, Greve in Chianti....aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

hazardnc May 11th, 2007 05:48 AM

Paris - 10 - been there twice and could go back again and again

London - 8 - great city, but exhausting

Lynmouth, England - 10 - darling town, would love to go back

Tintagel, England - 8 - I'm a King Arthur buff - what can I say?

Oxford - 5 - loved it, but spent 6 weeks there in college, so I think I've been there, done that

Barcelona - 11 - I loved this city, but only had 3 days there. Not enough time.

Collioure - GORGEOUS - 10 - I could live here

The Lot Valley - 12 - I want to move here for real

Cadaques - 5 - Dali's house was cool, but not really charmed by this town.

Florence - 10
Portovenere - 10 GREAT food

Venice - 8 - only would go back if I could rent a flat and cook my own food

Salt Cay, Turks and Caicos - 5/10. This gets a 5 b/c we had terrible accommodations and the island is very rustic. It gets a 10 b/c it is gorgeous and quiet

The Florida Keys - 8 - been there several times and we always enjoy it, but it's crowded and pricey

Tuscany/Montalcino - 10 - loved the villa we rented there

buongiorno May 11th, 2007 05:48 AM

Verona 10
Florence 10
Siena 10
ok, just about anywhere in Italy 10
Madrid 6
Barcelona 7
Granada 6
Sevilla 4
Toledo 2
Majorca 6
London 7
Edinburgh 5
Languedoc 7
Monaco 3
Ireland 4
Wales 4
Middle East 1

missypie May 11th, 2007 05:53 AM

Forgive me if I don't use your number system, but the places I visited to which I'd love to return are:

Barcelona
Florence
Costa Rica
Arizona
and always Paris

Pausanias May 11th, 2007 06:12 AM

Good idea.

Paris -- 10
Rome -- 10
London -- 9 (lived there a while)
Mexico City and colonial Mexican cities -- 8
Northern England/Scotland -- 8
Naples -- 8
Normandy -- 7
Florence/Tuscany -- 7
Sevilla -- 7
Amalfi Coast/Capri -- 7
Madrid -- 6
Belize -- 6
Venice -- 5
Amsterdam -- 5
Brussels -- 5
Switzerland -- 5
Vienna -- 4
Germany -- 3
Caribbean & Mexican beach resorts -- 2
Disney World, West Africa, Vatican Museums (until they get the crowds sorted out) -- 1

BTilke May 11th, 2007 08:33 AM

Sticking just to Europe, I'd happily return to most of the places we've been. There's no place (knock wood) so far that I'd absolutely hate to visit again. In the middle ground are:

Munich 5 (nothing wrong with it, there are just so many other places in Germany I'd rather go to)
Amsterdam 4
Ghent (Belgium) 3 Would far rather go to Leuven.
Maastricht 2.5
Milan 5 (same as Munich, although if I were going with a huge shopping budget, the ranking would skyrocket up to a 10!)

Luisah May 11th, 2007 09:14 AM

Paris 10 -- always a thrill and feeling of "being home"
Marseille 10 -- loved sitting in a cafe overlooking the old port and the sights and sounds in the Arab quarter. It calls me back
Arles 8 -- want to wander through the Roman ruins again
Aix 3 -- Other than Cezanne's atelier, I was not impressed
Rousillon 9 --loved the colors and general ambiance
London 5 -- I'd return for the theater and museums, but there's no thrill for me there.
Morocco -- 10 plus. Enchanting country
Madrid - 8, my first stop in Europe many years ago; evokes romantic memories
Ireland -- 9 loved the southwest coast: Mizen Head, the Beara Peninsula, Glengariff, want to visit Dingle and Galway.
Florence 6 -- Too crowded but I'd return with hopes for a better experience
Rome 8 -- Lots more to see there
Venice 10 -- but I've only been once many years ago and it was not filled with tourists so I may feel differently next visit.
Prague 5 -- I waited too long to go; it was filled with English-speaking tourists and I had the impression the Czechs were tired of tourists crowding the city, even in October. I enjoyed the architecture and food, but ...
Germany 4 Kind of been there, done that, doesn't call me back
Amsterdam -- same as above
Brussels -- 5 I wasn't impressed but have been reading some good things so may go again if in the neighborhood.

jenblase May 11th, 2007 09:18 AM

Interesting thread... I've only been to a few places in Europe though so I don't have much to contribute!

Amsterdam - 9 - SO much to see there and I'm dying to go back.

The Hague - 3 - Maybe because we went on a rainy day but this city disappointed me.

Brussels - 6 - Grand Place wowed me but, don't really have a desire to go back.

Brugge - 10 - LOVED this quaint town!! Want to take my husband there someday.

annhig May 11th, 2007 09:21 AM

hi, curmudgeon,

glad you liked Cornwall and devon so much - what was their appeal, exactly? [always difficult to be objective when you live somewhere touristy, like cornwall].

my list is;
Paris, 8,
Rome, 8,
the loire ,10,
venice, 9,
sw france, 6,
madrid,3,
switzerland, 6,
germany, 6.

probably missed out a lot and will kick myself later.

regards, ann

patandhank May 11th, 2007 09:53 AM

My picks (included non-Europe too):

10 Egypt - fascinating
9 Morocco
8 Venice
8 Dachau Concentration Camp - rated for impact
8 Baveria - beautiful; Germany nice and clean
8 Santorini
8 S. Korea
7 London
7 Istanbul
O.K. I could go on and on so better stop there!! So many memories! Next trip - China 9/07

curmudgeon May 11th, 2007 10:55 AM

Hi Ann,

About Cornwall and Devon... We didn't have preset plans when we visited the area, so as we found an area we liked while driving, we would look for a B&B. As an example, when we drove into Newquay, we found it completely uninspiring, but heading a few miles up the coast we found a small village that really charmed us where we stayed for several nights. We enjoyed a number of the small port towns such as Padstow, visiting a few of the old big estates, and the character of some of the older small villages. Coming from the western US, where a 50-year old industrial building may be "historic", and the size and mechanization of the farms prevented the development of villages, it's the contrast that made the area so enjoyable to us.

TerryLFred May 11th, 2007 11:37 AM

Hi C,

Fun question. Here's my list (my husband and I just got back from a 3 week trip to Italy:

Rome: 10 - Can't get enough of this wonderful city. Borghese Gallery is a 12!

Florence: 10 - Loved the shopping and they have great food, too. Loved seeing David again.

Tuscany: 10 - Loved all the hill towns. The countryside is beautiful.

Siena: 10 - Our favorite hill town. We love to hang out in Il Campo and people watch.

Venice: 5 - We are glad we went but don't have any real desire to go back. Seemed too much like Disneyland to us. But had some great food there (we were there 5 years ago).

Paris: 5 - We haven't been for about 15 years. We are thinking of going back. We like Italy better. We loved Versailles.

London: 5 - London is great but very expensive. We've been twice now and feel we've seen enough.

Germany: 5 - Enjoyed the castles and walled cities but don't feel the need to go back.

We've really enjoyed all our travels to Europe, but our favorite is Italy and we want to go back and see even more of this wonderful country.

ssloantwo May 11th, 2007 11:45 AM

What a great thread! Here's my choices.
Italy-10 anywhere there especially Venice and Calabria.
France-8
New Zealand-8 a fantastic place to visit.
Australia-10 Too big to only go once!
China-4
Cambodia-9 Siem Reap and Phnom Penh!
Ireland-9 both Northern and Republic
England- 9
Wales- 7
Peru-8 Cusco and Lima
Switzerland-7
Austria-7
Caribbean- 10 anywhere!
Mexico-Puerto Vallarta-8 Matazlan- 5 Cancun-5
Costa Rica-5