? Bedbugs in Hotels in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit I'm phoebic about bugs but with all I've been reading and seeing on tv lately about bedbug problems in London hotels do you think it would be wise to email the hotel I have booked and ask if they have had any problems with bedbugs? Do you think a hotel would admit it if they have?

linda_j
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Doubtful. Where have you been seeing this? I know it's a big problem in NYC, but I live in London and honestly haven't heard anything about a local outbreak.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Sure they'd tell you... and the check is in the mail... ;^)
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM

A hotel will not tell you.

If you're truly phobic, there's lots of info online on what they look like and where to look for bedbugs -- ie. boxsprings, mattress piping, etc. Educate yourself, then inspect the hotel room when you check in. You should be fine.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM

There were some news reports early in 2009, and one hotel was sued by a New York lawyer in 2007. If there were a major problem at the moment, it'd be hard to keep it out of the papers, I reckon. Besides, how's a hotel to know you're not bringing bedbugs with you?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM
P_M

I can just see it now, the reply from the hotel:

"Yes we've recently had serious problems with bedbugs, we were even sued by a NY lawyer. But our rooms are otherwise clean, comfortable and in a great location. Breakfast is included."

OK seriously--Nobody likes bedbugs, the best advice I can offer is to follow NanBug's advice and learn how to spot bedbugs. If you check into your room and discover you have them just ask for a new room. Good luck and please enjoy your trip.

PS Isn't it kind of funny a poster named NanBug has such good advice about bedbugs?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM

There is a site you can look up and you can put in the hotel name and it will tell you. Google the site. It is nation wide and has become a huge problem everywhere even in the best hotels, stores, etc. I would check it out. Even then one can not be sure. They are very difficult to get rid of. I would also have a concern.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Google whatever but hotels might just have someone enter that their competitors have bedbugs, to get the business themselves, so whatever you read, be skeptical. This is bedbug hysteria season. Mass hysteria, you know.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I am going to London, Prague and San Sebastian in September and this is getting very close to ruining my trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM

What bedbug reports? I understand that with 8+ million people and a native tongue of English, NYC and London have certain similarities, but the bedbug issue is a problem in NEW YORK CITY.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Oh Micheline, calm down. If so easily "bugged" then safest to stay home --- after all, mosquitos may carry a virus, a restaurant might cause food poisoning, one might slip on the cobblestones in Prague & break an ankle... the list goes on.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Bedbugs are NOT an NYC problem. they can be found in hotel anywhere. A friend of mine and her family were bitten in a 4* hotel in Orlando. (The data saying that NYC has a massive infestation came from a local exterminator trying to drum up business. There have been reports from everywhere - no one knows why. Perhaps a mutated strain no longer susceptible to whatever was keeping them in check where they start out from.)

It's easy and takes about a minute to check if a room has bedbugs- which you do BEFORE you bring in your luggage. I have only done so once ( in a hotel we were forced to use that was definitely subpar in terms of cleanliness (there were none).

And if this fear is going to ruin your trip I really suggest you not go - since you will have at lest one problem more challenging that a bedbug on almost any trip.

The problem is people that check in with them and infest the rooms - but I can;t understand how people don't know their clothes or things are infested.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM

PM -- Funny! I actually named myself after my VW Beetle. I swear.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The hotel is not going to admit a problem. I'd use Trip Advisor reviews for a start.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank all of you for your comments. I did find a website that claims to research any hotel to see if any complaints have been made about bedbugs. I have also read all reviews on a number of websites about the hotel I've booked. All reviews have been wonderful - except one person said she had found some "bugs" in a drawer (didn't specify or elude to bedbugs). And you're right that it probably wouldn't do any good to just, point blank, ask the hotel. Guess I'll just take all the precautions I can and make a thorough check on arrival. What a bummer to have to worry about this. London is the most wonderful city in the world.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM

This site found on Google is reported by the health dept. who if a place is treated is reported. It is not a competitor trying to drum up business. The reason for there enormous comeback is we have gone "green" and and no longer use the pesticides (DTT)?? that we use to use. Yes do check trip advisor for reviews.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM

"What a bummer to have to worry about this"

Why do you "have" to worry about this?

You've failed to justify your bizarre comment about "all I've been reading and seeing on tv lately about bedbug problems in London hotels".

So I'll repeat another poster's question. Where, exactly, have you read anything at all about bedbugs in London?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM

NYTraveler - I wasn't saying the problem is limited to NYC in the slightest, but you have to admit there has been rampant media coverage about outbreaks in NY hotels and places of business. I haven't heard anything reported about a real or imagined outbreak in London.

Bedbugs are everywhere. Educate yourself, check the room, and take simple precautions. You'll be fine.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 01:00 AM

And....it appears the rational thing to do is to avoid Ohio altogether ;-)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...most-infested/
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In most places, the roaches eat the bedbugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -