Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bed Sizes in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bed-sizes-in-france-346943/)

zoecat5 Aug 11th, 2003 12:56 PM

Bed Sizes in France

I'm so confused!?!

I know there's a difference between European and American / Canadian bed sizes but I don't know how much the difference is. We're used to an American King size at home, but would be OK with a Queen size. What would be the European equivalent? I see so many 'doubles' and I can't imagine two people sharing them?

Thanks!

Karen

Intrepid Aug 11th, 2003 01:03 PM

Well, just as in the US a lot of people do, in fact, share a "double" bed. Sometimes you may see bed sizes listed as a "French double" which is basically two singles pushed together to make a "double."
There are many hotels in Europe which offer a king sized bed and this is usually the standard (not "California")King size. If they do offer such it will be listed as such.Make sure when you are looking to book a room that the bed size is listed..some hotels simply offer a "double room" and don't necessarily tell you the size of the bed(s) contained but perhaps you've already discovered that.

rex Aug 11th, 2003 01:03 PM

Many hotels, and even guest houses will quote you the actual width of the bed (in meters and centimeters, of course), if this info is important to you.

Be aware that if the size quoted is the same as a king (i.e., exactly two times the width of a twin in America), it's very likely that it IS two twins pused together.

I don't remember what the widths of "double", queen and king are, but a meter is a meter (39.37 inches) - so measure your king or an available queen, and let them tell you what they have.

Best wishes,

Rex

Betty1 Aug 11th, 2003 01:21 PM

The sizes are usually as follows:
single (twin) = 90 cm. (36")
standard double = 140 cm. (56")
Queen = 160 cm. (64")
King = 180 cm. (72")

You will sometimes see other sizes such as 120 cm. which might be called a small double. (Very cozy!)

Christina Aug 11th, 2003 02:23 PM

YOu really have to just ask the size in cm. I don't know if 90 cm is the common twin size in Europe as that is smaller than in the US where it is 39 inches, more similar to the 100 cm wide bed in Europe. 140 (55"), 160 (63") and 180 wide beds (71") are common ones you find, at least in France. The double and queen are similar to US sizes, but the king is smaller as US kings are 78 inches wide, I believe (double our twin size of 39 inches). I have never had a twin bed in Europe so don't know what hotels usually give you if they aren't making them into a king.

I have seen the term French bed used to mean something entirely different than two beds pushed together -- just a small double bed, about 110-120 cm rather than 140. I think I've seen that term used for that in Italy, Switzerland or Germany for just a small double bed. I don't know why they call it that. Anyway, if somebody says something has a French bed, I'd still ask for measurements so no surprises.

Maribel Aug 11th, 2003 03:48 PM

zoecat,
Agree with Christina and Betty.
On our France trip this summer, we had all the varying sizes from 120-180, which didn't matter that much to us-price was the more important issue.
But I just want to say that Betty's chart is absolutely right on. I'd ask when making my reservation the cm size of the bed in every "double" category the hotel offers, then follow Betty's chart. If you're used to a king (and our traveling companions required it), then opt for the 180 cm., or the 160 "queen", but stay far, far away from that tiny 120.

cigalechanta Apr 20th, 2005 05:24 PM

zoe, my husband is 6'4 1/2 and the first B&B in Provence, the hostess said, after we were there and could be friends, she said she cringed seeing an American so tall because most complain on her shorter beds, but in Paris it's not as much a problem.

madameX Apr 20th, 2005 07:02 PM

I've also seen/heard a distinction in king beds, so it is best to go by Betty's measurements when available. (e.g. one place had a "Royal king," which is like the U.S. kings, and the "king" was more like a queen.

Frankly, we are not enormous people (5'4" and husband is 6', not overweight) but are used to a king. Also: my dear husband sleeps sprawled out like a starfish. Since so many European places do not have real kings, we actually prefer two beds, even if twins.