Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mayfair/Grosvenor Square or S. Kensington/Gloucester Rd.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Ila

Can people post their thoughts on these two areas for first-time tourists? <BR> <BR>Which is the better area for ambiance and good (moderately priced) eats? <BR> <BR>How far is Grosvenor Sq. from the nearest tube station (Bond St)? Gloucester Rd. obviously wins out on tube access. <BR> <BR>Exactly how far a walk is it from Grosvenor Sq. to Hyde Park/Speakers corner, Piccadilly Circus and other sights? <BR> <BR>Is Mayfair/Grosvenor Sq. too exclusive an area with the superiour nose-up-in the air attitude? <BR> <BR>While I have your attention: thank you, regulars, for all the wonderful info on this forum. I already seem like I have been to London thanks to all the valuable info found here! I am trying to find a way to contribute and give back. <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:20 AM

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:37 AM
janis

Both are good areas - but Mayfair is by far the "poshest". Both are convenient to the tube. Most of of S. Kensington is fine - but near the Earls Court area it is a little spotty. <BR> <BR>Ambience - what are you looking for - Mayfair is very up market but S. Kens has all the museums. there are pubs w/ reasonable meals in both areas (and throughout London) <BR> <BR>Ambience?

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:13 AM
jhm

Grosvenor Sq is within easy walking distance from Speaker's Corner and the Bond Street tube. For Londony "ambiance," I'd go for Mayfair. For moderately priced eats, you can get from Grosvenor Square to Oxford Street (cheap and not so good food) or to Shepherd's Market (moderately priced, very good food ranging from French to Turkish to Lebanese to Italian). <BR> <BR>Either one of these locations is great in its own way. I think you'd probably have more good, mod priced food around Kensington/Gloucester Rd, but the London ambiance -- beautiful homes, etc. -- is more evident around Mayfair, in my opinion.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 05:33 AM
topper

anybody else with thoughts comparing these two areas?

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Ben

I much prefer the Mayfair area for its ambiance. As far as good (moderately priced) food is concerned, there are all kinds of restaurants and pubs located all over London offering good food, but most are more expensive vis a vis U.S. prices. The most expensive places are the hotels and premium restaurants. The least expensive tend to be the pubs. You should be able to find what you want within easy walking distance of wherever you choose to stay.