Bed Linens in Europe

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Zorro

Bed Linens in Europe

Okay, I'm a travel dork. I love it, but it takes me a lot of research. My wife and I will be going to London this summer and I have been told something about a duvay or something. My wife tells me not to worry about it and I'm not, but I would rather be a dork on this anonymous message board than to call down to the front desk of our hotel and demand where my sheets are.

Go ahead, call me names, but please enlighten me.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Shannon

A duvet is what we Americans call a "comforter". You get the fitted sheet on the bed, and the duvet goes on top. It's surrounded by a duvet cover, which is a sheet that can be washed. Some hotels add the flat sheet on top of the fitted sheet and under the duvet, and others just have the duvet.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:35 PM
StCirq

A duvet is a kind of usually thin coverlet that encases a comforter. It typically buttons at the top. You slide the comforter or blanket into it and encase it and button it up. I've got them at my house in France, but I must admit I've never come across one in a hotel in Europe. If you do come across one, don't panic - it's just the sheet and the comforter rolled up into one thingamajig, and very comfortable at that.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Zorro

Thank you. I just surprised my wife with this trip and I don't want to be too dumb about it. 20th wedding anniversary and she has been my biggest supporter through some very lean times and now that we have achieved some success, I want to treat her. thanks again.

Mar 31st, 2002, 09:12 AM
Therese

I've found duvets in all sorts of hotels in Germany (and once in a really high end place in Italy). They're great, as the outer covering/sheet is uniformly soft and clean---no scratchy blanket or bedspread edge to bother, and no wondering how long it's been since the bedspread's been laundered. They are generally snowy white, so it's abundantly clear that they've been washed (and ironed into submission).

Mar 31st, 2002, 09:24 AM
Leslie

It seems that all of the hotels and B&Bs that I have in throughout Europe have duvets. They are wonderful because the duvets are always cleaned, but not necessarily the blankets, so you don't have to freak out about germs (read the US board about hotel blankets). Actually, all of the comforters in my home are covered with duvets. It's great so that when you want to change the color combination in a room, you don't have to go out and necessarily buy another comforter, just a new duvet.

As far back as I can remember, I recall my grandmother having duvets in her home, and my mother has also had them too.

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:48 PM
Barry

Hi Zorro -

Not to worry.... we've been to London many times and all over the UK.... every bed wwe have ever had there was made exactly the same as in hotels here in the U.S.

The duvets that Leslie and other mention is the Continental European and Scandinavian method. I used to hate it... made me feel like I was on a "camping trip"! Now however, not only have I gotten used to it .... but in fact look forward to the comfort of it! It has even modified the way we make our bed in our homes here...

Barry

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:59 PM
Dick

We've run into the "duvet system" everywhere in Germany, Austria, & Switzerland, but never in England. I seem to recall U.S.-style sheets in Italy, but am not sure about that. I like the duvets - my wife hates them, and everywhere we've been the hotel has been happy (well, at least willing) to make up the bed with the U.S.-style bedding for her.

Mar 31st, 2002, 02:31 PM
lynn

A duvet is not the cover over a comforter, but is the comforter itself. A duvet is usually (goose or duck feather) down filled piece of bedding (sometimes other materials) that is usually covered with a removable "duvet cover" which makes for easy cleaning.

The duvet is a lovely alternative to the fitted sheet, flat sheet, bedspread or comforter routine.
Hope this helps.
Have a great trip.
Regards,
Lynn

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:14 PM
Leslie

I hate them! Traveling in the past in Germany and Austria, I would wake up in the middle of the night, roasting. Then I would toss the duvet aside and go back to sleep- only to wake up 20 minutes later, freezing. This thrashing about would go on all night. Now I mostly stay in France. My pet peeve there is the freaking bolster pillow that is "made' into the bed. Sigh, I know I sound like an ugly American, but I wish I could bring my own pillow and sheet with me in Europe.

Mar 31st, 2002, 07:37 PM
Darcy

I was staying at a pub/B&B outsideo f Bath, England. My duvet had a bad stain on it so I asked the waitress/housekeeper for another "comforter." It took me some time and some fancy sign languageto come up with the correct term that she understood. I am so glad I've read English novels where the term is used!