Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Because of the deepening gas shortages in the UK, better make sure you check your airline flights!!!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/because-of-the-deepening-gas-shortages-in-the-uk-better-make-sure-you-check-your-airline-flights-86120/)

J.M. Sep 11th, 2000 08:57 AM

Because of the deepening gas shortages in the UK, better make sure you check your airline flights!!!!!!

Mnay Many stations have run out of gasoline (petrol), therefore affecting airports (not enough fuel for the planes), and the airport employees (some staff might not be able to get to work if they have no gasoline...ie Air Traffic Controllers) so make sure to confirm your flights into and out of the UK are not also affected!!

Top Sep 11th, 2000 12:52 PM

Be prepared, people...

Ben Haines Sep 11th, 2000 01:18 PM

Fodors <BR> <BR>Thus may perhaps be true. But I think planes can fuel at either end of a flight, and that aircaft fuel is not the fuel used in motor cars. <BR> <BR>If need be essential staff are carried by bus, and all busses are running. To most airports there are trains or tube trains, all of them unaffected by present troubles. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

J.M. Sep 11th, 2000 02:23 PM

OK, silly me, then. <BR>

pdv28 Sep 11th, 2000 03:34 PM

JM&lt; <BR> <BR> Thank you for posting! I will definitely check prior to leaving because you never really know, and this lack of petrol probably affects more things than we really know. <BR> <BR>Patricia

Ben Haines Sep 12th, 2000 12:14 AM

This morning's newspaper reports nothing about trains nor aviation fuel. It does say that the Queen in Council has given the prime minister emergency powers to take any steps needed, including use of poluce and army, to maintain the running of the country. And, if I may say so, to impose the rule of democracy on selfish interest groups. <BR> <BR>I've just phoned British Airways. There is no threat to supply of aviation fuel in Britain. If a pilot can't reach an airport B A will send a bus: their busses are running. They forsee no problem of any kind. <BR> <BR>Also rail information. They say they have their own fuel supplkies, and are unaffected. For electric lines the generators, too, have their own supplies, and no problems. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Ben Haines Sep 12th, 2000 12:16 AM

This morning's newspaper reports nothing about trains nor aviation fuel. It does say that the Queen in Council has given the prime minister emergency powers to take any steps needed, including use of poluce and army, to maintain the running of the country. And, if I may say so, to impose the rule of democracy on selfish interest groups. <BR> <BR>I've just phoned British Airways. There is no threat to supply of aviation fuel in Britain. If a pilot can't reach an airport B A will send a bus: their busses are running. They forsee no problem of any kind. <BR> <BR>Also rail information. They say they have their own fuel supplkies, and are unaffected. For electric lines the generators, too, have their own supplies, and no problems. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Fwhiteside Sep 12th, 2000 12:52 AM

The situation is worst here in the North West - I could not find a station that had unleaded petrol last night or this morning. Some of my colleagues are unable to come in to work & I shall be giving one a lift home this evening as his car is dry. Avoid the North West if possible 'till further notice.

Ben Haines Sep 12th, 2000 09:43 AM

The lunchtime news on the wireless said that some busses are now not running in Devpn and Cornwall. Otherwise no change from my previous posting. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR>

Beth Anderson Sep 12th, 2000 10:20 AM

I spoke to a friend of mine this morning in London - he said that he has a diesel Mercedes and isn't affected by this problem. he seemed to think the taxis at least would be running as many of them use diesel. <BR> <BR>Kav, rent a diesel car! <BR> <BR>Beth

A Local Sep 13th, 2000 05:35 AM

BBC news is reporting that smaller UK airports (Southampton and Aberdeen were specifically mentioned) have only 24 hours supply of aviation fuel left. Some short-haul and domestic flights may soon become affected. Same report confirmed that major airports (Heathrow, Gatwick) have large reserves of on-site aviation fuel.