Reload this Page >

Beauty products in Italy

Search

Beauty products in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Andi

Beauty products in Italy

Okay, you anglo- and francophiles have had your shot. But I'm going to Italy. Any favorites?

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Marty

Andi: Please go into any grocery store and go to the body soap section. Look for copper colored containers of Tresori d'Oriente in the Zenzero fragrance. You will love it! It smells like nothing we can buy in the US, and it is sold in grocery stores! I can smell it on Italians as they walk by sometimes, and I have even smelled it in hotel lobbies. I crave it. I can't wait to get to Venice in February to add to my supply. I dole it out in small quantities to my friends, and they beg for more.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Andi

Marty, thanks for a great tip. Sounds yummy and at a grocery store no less. Could be great little gift items, too. Thanks again. <BR>Andi

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Ursula

Have a look (or better smell) at the scent "Acqua di Parma". <BR>Very classy!! <BR>I don't know whether you can get it in the States, but here in Europe it enjoys a real revival. You will find it good "profumerias" and maybe also in upscale department stores (but not at grocery stores). <BR> <BR>Bist Du Andi aus Deutschland?? ;-)

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Julie

In Florence there's an amazing place that was a former convent and looks like a museum (it dates back to 1542 but was founded in 1612) called: Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, Via della Scalla 16 (near the Piazza Santa Maria Novella), Firenze, Italia, 216.276 phone. It's a little difficult to find but definitely worth a visit. They sell the most unusual soaps and skin creams and in the back they sell herbal cures. Among the things you will find there are: perfumes, body milks, tonics, shampoos, spirits, essences, balsams,liquers, waters and even a list of "old preparations". They are best known, however, for their Almond Paste Handcream (Pasta di Mandorle - not to be confused with pasta that you eat - which I had a difficult time convincing my mother.) <BR> <BR>There's also a unique (tiny) store in Rome called: Ai Monasteri, Piazza delle Cinque Lune 76 (just two blocks from Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers in Piazza Navona), Rome, 06/6880-2783 phone. They, too have all sorts of liquors that are touted to be used for everything, including beautifying (is that even a word?). They also make the most astounding chocolates. And though most people might not consider chocolate to be a beauty product, I think I could offer you a healthy debate on the subject. Everyone I gave these chocolates too after my first trip to Rome were so astounded, that I wouldn't think of returning without stopping in. Happy hunting!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Andi

Julie and Ursula, grazie mille. Perfume sounds lovely, and the chocolates, yum. I eat chocolate once a day for health reasons (not kidding, lowers cholesterol, promotes mental health) and had planned to find a good chocolatier in Rome. Now thanks to you I have.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Julie

Happy to share! And even happier to find out about Tresori d'Oriente in the Zenzero fragrance and the "Acqua di Parma" scent from the other posters. I hadn't heard of either and am looking forward to tracking them down when I head to Venice & Milan this coming November. <BR> <BR>By the way, since you're looking for a chocolatier in Rome I remembered a place that you might want to also consider: Confetteria Moriondo & Gariglio, Via del Pie di Marmo 21-22, Roma 00186, 06/69-90-856 phone. My girlfriend, who works in Rome, uses this place for the exquisite gift baskets they assemble (for both business and personal gifts). P.S. I just KNEW chocolate had to be good for you.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Diane

Lost my moisturizer/sunscreen and had to replace it ASAP. We went to a Coin (department store in Verona, but they are all over). As I made my purchase (also picked up some sort of anti-fatigue lotion for legs which was terrific) they stuck a whole bunch of complimentary give-aways in the bag. One was a "rejuvenating" cream (I think) called "gli elementi" delle Terme di Salice. Gioca con il tempo (play with time). It went along with a geo-thermal cleansing fluid to "release your inner harmony." Well, of everything I got to try, it was the best. My husband said it made my skin glow. (I don't think he meant "in the dark"). Of course, I couldn't find it again throughout the trip! But I must say I enjoyed looking at all the different products. (I can't nap, and playing with facials, lotions, etc gives me something relaxing to do when we take time out in the middle of the day!) I'm not sure I believe the claims of the many anti-cellulite products I saw, but then we really didn't spend anytime around the beach where one might expect to see results of such a regimen, and I wasn't so intrigued that I wanted to try any.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:39 PM
andi

Toppping for Froggie.