Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Beaune hotel question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/beaune-hotel-question-599814/)

dina4 Mar 16th, 2006 02:01 PM

Beaune hotel question

I'm torn between staying at HOTEL GRILLON or CHATEAU DE CHALLANGES in Beaune. The Grillon, I believe is within walking distance of the old town, which is more appealing then driving and parking. (Or maybe parking's not that bad?)

We picked these two hotels because they seem charming, their prices were right, and because they have pools, which we thought our teens might enjoy in the afterrnoon. (travelling in late June)
We considered staying in nearby towns, but found out friends will be in Beaune at the same time, so we want to spend some time with them.

Anyone have comments / advice about either of these hotels?

FYI:
Our plan is to stay 5 nights in Paris,
then drive to Beaune, overnight there,
then drive thru the Luberon to St. Paul,
where we'll stay for 3 nights.

(We decided to skip the St. Remy area of Provence instead of rush through, saving it until we can do it the right way.)

As always,
thank you!
Dina

dina4 Mar 16th, 2006 04:28 PM

ttt

travginny Mar 16th, 2006 05:21 PM

Hi Dina,

I stayed at Hotel Grillon in the past and our room was clean, attractive and quiet. It is located within walking distance of the center of town, so you can leave your car in the hotel parking lot. Breakfast is served in a sunny, attractive room.

I would certainly stay at the Grillon again.

Ginny

dina4 Mar 16th, 2006 06:35 PM

Thanks, Ginny.
It seems like a really cute place.

Dina

pjsparlor Mar 16th, 2006 06:55 PM

We stayed at Hotel Grillon last March. I loved it, the breakfast room was so inviting. The rooms were spacious and decorated very nice. Don't hesitate to stay there, it is wonderful.

MaisonMetz Mar 16th, 2006 07:17 PM

Dina, we've stayed at the Hôtel Château de Challanges and enjoyed the château and the peace and quiet of its location. That said, it is far enough from Beaune that we decided to stay in town the next time that we go to Beaune.

dina4 Mar 17th, 2006 05:39 AM

Thanks, everyone.
I think I'll go ahead and reserve the Hotel Grillon.
They're offering us two rooms at 62 euro each. Pretty good deal! I guess I was worried it just too basic.

hopingtotravel Mar 17th, 2006 08:23 AM

We stayed in a very nicely decorated room at the Grillon last April. I believe the owner may have been a former American--excellent English. She was extremely nice and helpful. Also, the room was quiet.

Neopolitan Mar 17th, 2006 08:55 AM

We stayed at the Grillon. We didn't have a car. It was a stop for a couple of nights between Cannes and Paris by train.
Oddly enough we waited on arrival at the train station for nearly half an hour for a taxi. We called a couple of them but they didn't come. When we went inside and asked again, they couldn't believe we were waiting for a taxi to the Grillon -- it was much closer than we thought, so we rolled our luggage there -- no problem.
We walked back and forth into town a lot. It was a nice place, nothing fancy and it won't win any decorating awards, but it was "lovingly" maintained and run. The breakfasts were very nice. Although the hotel was booked solid, I don't think I ever once saw anyone in the pool. You may have it to yourselves.

JEFF_ Mar 17th, 2006 09:07 AM

I too enjoyed staying at the Grillon for the same reasons. My room was quite nice--just like the web site photo (the gold one). I had planned to walk to town, but ended up driving since there's a large free parking lot convenient to the old town.

dina4 Mar 17th, 2006 03:51 PM

Thanks again, everyone.
You're all reassuring me that I made a good decision. I couldn't find any reviews on the hotel anywhere!

Dina