Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Beaune Hotel Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/beaune-hotel-help-462757/)

doc04 Jul 27th, 2004 06:39 AM

Beaune Hotel Help

My wife and I are planning on spending two days and nights exploring the Burgundy region. What would be a better choice as a base and hotel? Hotel Le Cep in Beaune or Chateau des Gilly in Veugeot, halfway between Beaune and Dijon?

Underhill Jul 27th, 2004 07:34 AM

Chateau de Gilly is a very nice place to stay and would put you centrally amid the region's principal sights: Dijon, Beaune, Autun, and the wine roads. That would be just right for 2 days.

RJD Jul 27th, 2004 08:18 AM

Been in that area several times. There's more to do in Beaune, especially if you want to park your car and walk around town. But I'd guess that either place would be fine.

indytravel Jul 27th, 2004 08:41 AM

I was in Beaune in early May for a couple of nights. I did not have a car. I spent my time wandering the town, seeing the 3 small museums, the Hôtel Dieu, the church, a small art exhibit, tasting some wine and eating.

By the way I did duck into the lobby of Le Cep. It was gorgeous inside. The outside is a rather plain stone façade along a narrow street.

I think your choice depends upon what you are going to do with your touring. Also what you want to do in the evenings. Veugeot is a very small town of 200 people. The Chateau Gilly is actually in Gilly-lès-Cîteaux a kilometer away and has a population of 600. Beaune has 23,000.

If you're going to spend a day in Beaune exploring, you'd be better off staying there. You could park your car, check into the hotel, tour Beaune and have dinner. The next morning you could drive out and tour the countryside. Returning to Beaune in the evening you would have many nearby dinner options.

I found Beaune to be very pleasant starting late afternoons. This was when the day-trippers left. There were many more day-trippers then I thought there would be considering it was the first of May.

If you're only going to do a "drive-by" of Beaune to see the Hôtel Dieu, it might be better to stay in Veugeot. Keep in mind your only dining option may be at the hotel though hopefully there is another bistro or restaurant around. While I'm sure their restaurants (Michelin says they have two) are excellent, I know I don't like to eat that grandly two nights in a row. I also know I don't want to taste wine all day, have a dinner with wine, then drive to my hotel.

indytravel Jul 28th, 2004 07:58 AM

ttt (to the top)

Hey doc! Topping your original post will give others a chance to see it again.

Sometimes people haven't been where you've mentioned in a while so they're reluctant to respond with out-of-date info. If they see no one is answering your post they might respond with their older but still useful data.

You've asked about a couple of hotels in out-of-the-way places. People here may not have used them. Questions about Paris, Rome, Venice and London get lots of response. Second tier places like Spain, Germany, etc. get some answers. By the time you're into rural places, it's very unlikely you'll get more than a few responses.

I know. I tried asking about Orebro, Sweden once. :-)

curiousx Aug 5th, 2004 06:59 PM

look here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34463367

Wayne Aug 5th, 2004 07:09 PM

I'll throw in another vote for Beaune and le Cep. Have been there and stayed there, and have visited other spots from there, somewhat as suggested already by indytravel. I found Beaune to be large enough to have plenty to see, and small enough to be charming. Good luck.

vslparis Aug 5th, 2004 07:18 PM

You know, if you have wine from that region, who cares where you stay.

SuQue Aug 11th, 2004 03:34 PM

We stayed at Le Cep and it is one of favorite hotels in Europe. The room was lovely and the service was outstanding.