Beaune, Dijon, Colmar & Strasbourg Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

We are in the process of planning our May/June trip to France, Germany & Switzerland. If anyone has recommendations for hotels in Beaune (3 nights), Dijon (2 nights), Colmar (4 nights) or Strasbourg (2 nights), we'd appreciate hearing them. I look at Trip Advisor, Fodors & Frommers and Rick Steves Travel books for suggestions but like to get feedback from Fodorites as I've always gotten excellent advice from this forum. Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 09:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We've previously enjoyed our stays at Chez Marie (Beaune), Hotel Turenne (Colmar) and Maison Rouge (Strasbourg). Visited but haven't stayed overnight in Dijon.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Budget?

A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Hotel Abbaye de Maizieres in Beaune. I'm happy to see it still gets high ratings on booking.com. As the name implies, it's a former abbey, and there is architectural evidence throughout, especially in the lobby area. The owners and staff were especially welcoming and helpful during our stay. At that time, the hotel had no parking accommodation, but there was free public parking nearby. I don't know if that has changed.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

We would like to stay under $300/night. We like boutique hotels that are nice with comfortable beds and good shower (that has glass or shower curtain, no open showers). We don't need or want 5* accommodations. We will have a car and we usually prefer to stay in the center of town although in the case of Beaune and Colmar, we will be spending most days traveling outside of the city. As long as we can walk into the city center for restaurants we are ok being a little outside of the center.
Thanks for suggestions.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think of having a car and wanting to stay in the center of cities as going together very well. Dijon isn't too big so not as much of a problem there, but I think it would be more of a problem in Strasbourg. You can't even drive in some parts of it, as it is protected historic area or pedestrian only. The hotel I was going to recommend is, in fact, on a street no one is allowed to drive on (except taxis and things like that). That was the Hotel de L'Europe which IU really liked a lot, but it is not a small boutique hotel, and the one I like in Dijon isn't either. It's a more modern hotel in the center but has a great restaurant.

IN fact, I don't think you'll find any 5* hotels in these places.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Christina, We are driving throughout Burgundy, Alsace & Black Forest. We have always stayed in the center of town during our European travels and when we have a car, we usually find hotels with parking or nearby parking garages. I will check on Hotel de L'Europe in Strasbourg and see if they offer parking recommendations. Some places will allow you to drive the car to the hotel for drop off and then park outside the pedestrian area.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions Anuj.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 12:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In Beaune,we enjoyed staying at Hotel Le Cep.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 01:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Hotels I stayed in:

Beaune - Ibis Styles Beaune Centre. Had underground secured parking but I wouldn't recommend the hotel. Too 'low budget' for me. I would recommend Hotel Le Cep, looks very nice and have read good reviews on it.

Dijon - Grand Hotel La Cloche Dijon MGallery by Sofitel. Had secured garage parking behind the hotel through the garden. Highly recommend, it was a very, very nice hotel.

Colmar - Hôtel le Colombier. No hotel parking. I was able to park on street in front of the hotel. Recommend it, it was a very nice hotel.

Strasbourg - Hilton. Returned my car when I arrived so don't know about the parking but the hotel is too far out from the city center. You have to take a tram to and from. I was staying for free on points so swallowed that little hiccup.

Many of the hotels offer membership rewards programs for free and offer a lower room rate to members. I joined them!

I created detailed itineraries for your locations (and more of eastern France). If you are interested, send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Last edited by joannyc; Jan 5th, 2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 03:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Les Jardins de Loïs . One of the top B&Bs we've ever stayed is in Beaune (one of our Top 3 ever). Best shower we have ever had in Europe. Beauitiful rooms, wonderful breakfast, great host and wonderful location. More below including link to b&b

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...-drive-beaune/
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

maitaitom: We are receiving your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed following your trip in Italy! Thanks for the suggestion.
joannyc: Thanks for your suggestions. I will PM you.
HappyTrvlr: Thanks for your suggestion. Now I just have to figure the best of all the suggestions!
Christina: I checked Hotel de l'Europe and they do have parking available. Now just need to review all the suggestions
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 08:21 PM

It was awhile ago but we loved our stay at Le Marechal in Colmar. some people think it is "too quaint" but I notice it still pretty much gets 5 star reviews. Good was good too.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 08:23 PM

That was... food was good too.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 03:46 AM

Dijon we stayed recently at (hotel or auberge du ?) chapeau rouge. We ahd a great price via booking and the hotel is a 4 stars and is fabulous. The restuarant is also a michelin starred otel and the food was excellent.

In strabsourg I stayed in hotel Hannong and found it excellent, I'd go back with my wife.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you staying in all four? I visited Beaune from Dijon and Colmar from Strasbourg (by train) and thought that gave me adequate time. In Strasbourg I stayed twice at the Hotel Suisse, which is right behind the cathedral, but may be a bit below your standard. It currently has info on parking during the Christmas markets so presumably can explain where to park at other times as well.
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. I will check all of your recommendations and finalize my plans soon.

thursdaysd: We usually stay put in one place and do day trips but found that sometimes we would have preferred staying overnight in some cities to experience the city/town in the evening.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Hotel?e Cep had parking when we stayed there, a lot in the rear of the property.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
Les Jardins de Loïs . One of the top B&Bs we've ever stayed is in Beaune (one of our Top 3 ever). Best shower we have ever had in Europe. Beauitiful rooms, wonderful breakfast, great host and wonderful location. More below including link to b&b

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...-drive-beaune/
I second maitai's recommendation. It is a lovely place, with an equally lovely garden and fabulous hosts. We were in the free-standing structure that fronts the garden. Parking is right beside the front door. Glorious.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 04:50 PM
ira

Hi TK,

I can highly recommend Elegant and comfortable apartment for two in the heart of Dijon

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 05:07 AM

Thank you so much for your support Ira! I'm always looking forward to welcoming fellow Fodorites and show them my beautiful town. Hope you and your Lady Wife are both well and ready for more travels this year. Warm wishes and Happy New Year. Coco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -