Notices

Beaune

Mar 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Beaune

I will be in Beaune as a guest of some wine houses. Aside from the tasting, would Love to know some ideas of what to do while in Beaune, what to visit, what not to bother, of course...where to chow. Staying at Le Cep.
Thank you!
Mar 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Take a look at my TR which has our day in Beaune in it
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...from-dijon.cfm
Mar 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM

We only stayed in Beaune for 2 nights (also at Le Cep which was nice) and loved every minute. Day 1 was a private wine tour so clearly as a guest of wine houses, you don't need that recommendation. Day 2 we had a terrific day going to L'Hotel Dieu ("must-see" in Beaune), the outdoor market (not sure what days it operates), and just wandering around. Walked along the old walls of the city (the old fortifications are now partly a walking trail along the top of the wall). I remember finding a bench on top of the wall and having a perfect picnic of wine, cheese, and bread from the market - bliss! We also had great meals but I can only remember the name of one restaurant. It was Caveau des Arches and we really enjoyed our meal - classic Burgundian in a restaurant below the street level in a converted wine celler. First time I had tried the traditional dish Oeufs en Meurette (eggs in wine sauce) - quite delicious! We didn't bother with any of the wine museum and related attractions as they seemed a bit gimmicky.
Seemed to be tons of great restaurants but alas, no time.....
Mar 11th, 2013, 01:50 PM

OMG, lucky you!! As has been said, don't miss the Hotel Dieu.
We were on a barge trip so only visited the town and left. I did find a nice knife shop for gifts (for guys!!)

Search this Thread