Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Beatles in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/beatles-in-london-90168/)

Kramer Oct 16th, 2000 01:18 PM

Beatles in London?

Have a short first trip to London coming <BR>up soon....any Beatle things to see in <BR>London proper? Thanks!

xxx Oct 16th, 2000 01:54 PM

Hate to tell you this, but the Beatles broke up. One of them even died.

xxx Oct 16th, 2000 02:05 PM

You can see some of Lennon's original music in the British Museum; I'm guessing they all have wax figures at Tussaud's; you can go view the Albert Hall (and guess how many holes it takes to fill it) or how about Abbey Road?

xxx Oct 16th, 2000 02:06 PM

So sorry, meant to say that the music is in the British Library, not the museum.

Kris Oct 16th, 2000 02:27 PM

I think the Original London Walks company has a couple of Beatles walks that take you by various sites connected to the Beatles. We took their Jack the Ripper tour and really enjoyed it.

Julian Oct 16th, 2000 02:31 PM

Greetings from Abbey Road (my place is behind the trees on the cover). We get a steady stream of people holding up the traffic to pose on the zebra crossing (by the way, it's quite a busy road, so if you want a clear shot without cars in the way, turn up very early in the morning). Just get the Tube to St John's Wood....

Brenda.Breslin Oct 18th, 2000 11:53 AM

There is a shop called Beatles For Sale in a small road near Carnaby Street. I can't remember the name of the road but you might be able to track down the shop on the net. I think they have a website. The shop is full of original Beatles stuff. Great for a real fan. I loved it. I found that some of the books I own are actually worth something. Don't let those people above put you off. I don't know why they bother replying to messages in such a negative way. <BR> <BR>Brenda

Julian Oct 18th, 2000 01:18 PM

Brenda, apart from the first post, none of these posts is "negative". I don't know why you say "Don't let those people above put you off" - especially when together they offer more information than you do.

Kramer Oct 19th, 2000 01:33 PM

Brenda, <BR>Thank you for the support. I won't <BR>be put off by such twits....anyway <BR>I still think the Beatles will be back <BR>together...someday...including John. <BR>YeahYeahYeah

Dianne Oct 21st, 2000 07:38 AM

The Beatles For Sale shop is at 8 Kingly Street, between Carnaby St and Regent St. My family and I really enjoyed it. The best shop, however, is in Liverpool near the Cavern! We were in Liverpool in August a few years ago and there was a giant Beatles festival going on. I think it goes on every August and is definately a worthwhile visit for any true Beatles fan.

Julian Oct 21st, 2000 01:45 PM

So, Kramer, I and the others who bothered to answer your post are 'twits'? Stick to a guide book next time you ungrateful git.

Kramer Oct 23rd, 2000 06:47 AM

Julian, <BR>My first time posting and all I <BR>get is grief. Yikes...I will stick <BR>to the book...at least it doesn't <BR>return smart asp rhetoric. <BR>

sand Oct 23rd, 2000 10:31 PM

hi - listen i just got back and was on a great tour beatles and rock and roll. the guide patrick leads the trip three times a week. you ride around in this nice little mini-van with the inside decorated with 45's etc. patrick plays music the whole time, bits and pieces of every musician he mentions. the tour is three hours. today was my first day back at work and i talked about the tour non-stop. he covers lots of different neighborhoods. all kinds of fabulous tidbits about the beatles, hendrix,van morrison, mama cass , bill wyman, richard branson. the website is www.backroadstouring.co.uk. then click on london tours -- beatles tour. let me know if you need more details.

Amy Oct 23rd, 2000 11:23 PM

Kramer <BR>Try reading the messages, you only got "grief" because you gave it first. <BR>

Kramer Oct 25th, 2000 07:30 AM

Amy, <BR>Bite me!

Penny Oct 31st, 2000 10:27 AM

Kramer, <BR> <BR>In the spring, my teenage daughter and I did one of the Beatles-themed "Original London Walks." We did the "In My Life" walk; there's also a "Magical Mystery Tour" walk. I believe both are offered several times a week. See http://london.walks.com/. <BR> <BR>It's very informal--you just meet up at the appointed subway station; in our case it was Marylebone. (Nearby, by the way, is another little Beatles shop.) <BR>We went to the train station used for scenes from Help!, walked by apartments various Beatles had lived in, saw the restaurant used in Help!, and saw a bunch of other stuff before ending up at Abbey Road, which has become a mecca for fans from all over the world. <BR> <BR>You don't have to reserve or anything--just show up and fork over your 5 pounds or whatever. There were probably close to 30 people from all over the world walking with us--but the guide speaks loudly and is very informative. <BR> <BR>Be prepared to walk a LOT, however. We walked almost nonstop for 3 hours with just a brief subway ride to Abbey Road. We then tried going to the British Museum and were almost too exhausted to careen from the Rosetta Stone to the mummies. <BR> <BR>You can pick up the London Walks brochures everywhere--restaurants, hotels, etc. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>

xxx Oct 31st, 2000 10:56 AM

Pardon my ignorance but what does 'bite me' mean? <BR>And shouldn't you be visiting Liverpool for all things Beatley?