Beaches - Crete, Naxos, Sanorini

Oct 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Beaches - Crete, Naxos, Sanorini

I have started my preliminary research for these islands in late May early June. What are the beaches like? Specifically, are they like a lot of other European beaches that rent chairs and pile people on top of each other or are there beaches (not totally isolated beaches)where you can walk out to the beach, lay a blanket down, relax and not have someone 3 feet away. I realize I will be there in the off season so I'm sure this will cut down on the crowds.

Sorry for posting twice. I forgot to put this on the Greece board.

Thanks.

Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM

You get what you want in Crete. If you want supervised beaches with loungers, go somewhere where they have those. Or walk or drive half a mile away (OK, perhaps somewhat further on the north coast) and you will get a whole bay to yourself. Or one you share with a few people. Your choice.
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Naxos has Plaka, a long, sandy beach which can be reached easily by bus from Naxos Town. During late May-early June you can find stretches that are almost deserted. I consider this one of the best beaches in Greece.

Oct 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Hi,
The beaches on Santorini at that time year will be sparely attended. We were there twice at the end of June and indeed rented a chaise, but we were the only ones on the beach for a long stretch. I think some of the beaches that the younger drinking crowd goes to, might have more people. Also go off the beaten path on Santorini and you will find deserted beaches. Enjoy!
Oct 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM

The best place for swimming on Santorini isn't a beach, but a rocky area at the end of a seawall below the village of Oia. Walk the steps or drive down to Amoudi, the small fisherman's wharf, then walk along the seawall as far as you can go. Find a flat spot or swim across to the platform on the small rock island just across the small channel right there. The water is beautifully blue, deep and clean, and the view is spectacular.