beaches along the amalfi coast

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 11:19 AM
caroline

beaches along the amalfi coast

I am interested to know if the beaches along the amalfi coast and/or in capri are as good as the beaches on the french mediterranean. By good I mean sandy and generally clean to swim. I faintly remember reading a thread on this forum that the beaches last june on the amalfi were getting cleaned. Thanks.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 01:43 PM
rlk

- <BR>Caroline: <BR> <BR>I've not been on the beach, but have been to Amalfi. From a distance it looks more on the rocky side (small pebbles), rather than a fine sandy type of beach. <BR>But like I said, I've not actually been "to the beach". <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 03:44 PM
lola

Minori and Maori have the sandiest and widest beaches on the Amalfi drive. They are a few minutes drive east of Amalfi.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Lenore

Hello Caroline, <BR> <BR>I was on another Forum and came across this message. They had a 'thumbs up' on the hotel and the beach. <BR> <BR>'Went in June on the Amalfi Coast. It was absolutely great and we recommend the hotel Vittorio in Maiori. The service was excellent, breakfast included and 100,000 LIT which is quite the norm for basic hotel this year. Just ask anyone there for directions... You won't get lost!! <BR>Maiori is quite small, but the beach there is great, there's a wonderful castle there to visit up the mountain, NO TOURISTS at all (except us!) The only tourists there were Italians. It's also a great place to be based to visit Ravello, Amalfi or other places around.' <BR>Thought this might help since they've been there. <BR>Rgds <BR>Lenore <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 08:05 AM
hamlet

Unfortunately I've not yet been to the French Med to make a comparison....but I have been to the Amalfi coast area. The beaches from Sorrento down through Amalfi are rather rocky, but the water is clean! I don't know about the beaches that lola mentioned but I think some hotels have "manmade" beaches with sand though.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:39 AM
Don

For sand beaches, the French Riviera, especially around Cannes, is better but not nearly as beautiful of a view as Italy.