Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Be Careful with Hotel in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/be-careful-with-hotel-in-paris-551184/)

brclight Aug 12th, 2005 12:35 AM

Be Careful with Hotel in Paris

Our daughter just returned from Paris with extensive bed bug bites after staying in Hotel 7th Art on rue de St Paul. It has be terribly painful for her and she was swollen,in pain and then, bruised from all the scatching . Hotel management has completely ignored our requests for help. Any ideas? I would hate others to suffer like she did.

Intrepid1 Aug 12th, 2005 12:40 AM

I'd be interested in hotel management's response when SHE complained to them..or did she?

AllyPally Aug 12th, 2005 01:06 AM

Without questioning your daughter's story too much, are you sure it was from the bed? I only ask because I have a new futon and yet last week woke up with bites so I assume that something just helped itself during the night :-)

I would also post a review on TripAdvisor.com. Letting other travellers know of such things is a real blessing when you are trying to plan a trip. Between Fodors and TripAdvisor, I've never been let down. The internet is a great way to name and shame such establishments! Also, the management has the opportunity on TripAdvisor to post a response - something which I have seen but not very often!

Good luck
AP

Travelnut Aug 12th, 2005 05:20 AM

I read an article not long ago stating that there is a rise in bedbug infestations due to the increased amount of global travel we do these days...

Bedbugs are not limited to any 'class' of hotel, are easily spread by traveling in your luggage/clothes to your next hotel, and are very difficult to eradicate.

elaine Aug 12th, 2005 05:34 AM

Hi
I see that this is your first posting ever, here. The hotel, listed as the 7e Art, gets decent, mostly positive comments at tripadvisor, though no comments since last Feb.When you say that the hotel management has ignored your requests for help, what were your requests?

francophile03 Aug 12th, 2005 05:52 AM

I noticed this is brclight's first post as well which makes it questionable. It could be genuine, but it would be good if this poster can return and reply to the questions others have asked.

suze Aug 12th, 2005 06:30 AM

I'm wondering how long this went on? Was it just for one night or longer?

My thought being, if I were in her shoes so to speak and saw the situation, I would have left after the 1st night.

Christina Aug 12th, 2005 10:17 AM

It is kind of surprising how many people find Fodors just for one initial complaint. However, I've also read bed bugs are on the rise, at least in the US, nd I know I've read some other comment about bed bugs in some other Parisian hotel. I think this complaint is a little too unusual with certain details to be made up.

I'm glad that never happened to me (have seen some roaches here and there in some hotels), but am not quite sure what the hotel is supposed to do about it now that she is bitten? They can't make them go away. What kind of requests for "help" have their been? Certainly you wouldn't expect a hotel to just send cash to someone who makes a claim they got bedbugs in their hotel.

My idea is that she should see a doctor if this is still a problem, maybe they can give you some cortisone cream. Someone should stop her scratching, also, that can cause infections.

Now I wouldn't stay in that hotel, either, if I heard this, better safe than sorry. I read it can be really hard to get rid of them if a room and furniture is infested.

socialworker Aug 12th, 2005 11:46 AM

this topic has been receiving press for a while...here is something from feb of this year. http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/ADVIS...viser.bedbugs/

socialworker Aug 12th, 2005 11:47 AM

Whoops!! I just noticed that the article is from '04--*not* this year!!

janis Aug 12th, 2005 11:55 AM

OK - I agree w/ pretty much everything said so far.

My questions is -- Your daughter is already home from Paris. But you say "Hotel management has completely ignored our requests for help". What sort of help could you possibly be seeking after she is home?????

suze Aug 12th, 2005 12:01 PM

I'm wondering the same... what "requests for help" did you make, that they have "completley ignored"?

francophile03 Aug 12th, 2005 12:22 PM

I wonder if brclight will return.

HowardR Aug 12th, 2005 01:31 PM

This is not the first time a first-time poster somehow was the only person to suffer this plight in a Paris hotel (different hotel each time).

Robespierre Aug 12th, 2005 01:45 PM

Maybe we need a "Bedbug Superthread."