Be careful on those Cinque Terre trails!

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful on those Cinque Terre trails!

Recently a friend and I were walking parts of the trails and we saw women in heeled flip flops, a couple holding ends of a stroller with the kid still in it and others who didn't take the hikes seriously.

This incident below happened while we were in the vicinity, a young Ohio woman was drowned after being hit by a wave while hiking. The photograph of her taken by her husband seconds before the accident is very moving. Please be careful.

http://tinyurl.com/2gkxrg
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM

This incident reminds me of our visit to the Cliffs in Ireland.

So many people were climbing over the barriers to get a better view of the sea below.

At times, that day, I could hardly stand straight because the wind was so brisk.

At any rate, this is tragic.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM

Unfortunately it's often not possible to save people from their own carelessness.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM

To be fair, the man and his late wife appear to have gone off the main #2 trail to be that close to the water (anyone know exactly where they were?). I don't remember anywhere on that trail where I was within striking distance of a wave when I hiked it - refresh my memory if I'm wrong - but of course there were plenty of opportunities to do stupid things on the trails or detour off into very dangerous areas.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

In another article I read, the husband said they were on a marked trail. I don't know if the trails dip down to the sea in some places or not.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM

Hi SeaUrchin, what a sad story!

People do tend to sometimes get to relaxed while on vacation. My husband would sometimes caution people along our N CA seacoast of the dangers.

BTW, do we get a trip report? Nag, nag.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM

Like Andrew, I'm struggling to think just where this photo could have been taken. Spouse thinks it was near the Via Amore portion, since so much of the rest of the trail is elevated considerably higher than what the photo shows. Either way, it seems likely they would have had to have gone off the trail per se.

I'm so sorry to hear about it. Not far from where I live is a famous cove where people must constantly be reminded to 'enjoy the sea at a distance' - for people can be so fascinated by breaking waves on rocks, that they forget that 'rogue waves' can strike far above the expected point. The energy of such waves is huge - trying to resist them is like trying to keep an unrestrained baby from flying through the car windshield.

The photo is very poignant. Life is fragile - take care of it!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it could be off the Via Amore part, we walked past an open stairway down to the rocks on that trail. I looked down the stairs and there were some men fishing from the rocks.