Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Be careful about booking the Central St. Germain hotel in Paris

Jul 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

This is essentially a cut-and-paste of another post I wrote asking for advice about dealing with the Central St. Germain hotel in Paris:
>>In June, I booked 5 nights, starting Sep. 13, at the Hotel Central St. Germain in Paris at 172 euros/night.

Yesterday, I got an e-mail from the hotel informing me that there would be a 33 euros/night surcharge for four of the nights because of what the hotel called an "exhibition period." I'm not thrilled that they told me this one month after I made the reservation and after sending me an e-mail guaranteeing the lower rate.<<

In short, I'd stay away from that hotel. My feeling is that they now know they can get more for the room than they agreed to with me, so even after confirming the rate in writing, they're trying to get more money.

That's the short story. Will provide more details upon request.
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM

I would:

o Not acknowledge in writing that you received notice of the rate hike
o Go, and pay the surcharge by credit card
o Document the "bait-and-switch" with your confirmation and final bill
o Dispute the charge with VISA, pointing out that you had no choice when you got to the front desk and were informed of the ripoff (this will involve a white lie- but hey, they're trying to steal from you)
Jul 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM

999 - just curious as to why you booked with them in the first place?
I am not implying anything, just wondered where you got the recommendation as I have not seen it promoted on this site.
Jul 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Why I booked there is a long story that I didn't want to get into, but at the time I booked there, they were the best located hotel that popped up in my price range. The interesting thing is that since then, the hotel I was originally interested in now has an opening, so I'm almost certain I'm going to switch. Anyway, the St. Germain got generally decent reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Robes: Not a bad plan, but I'm not sure I'm up for all that. And frankly, my feeling now is that I just don't want to do business with an outfit like this, and I'm just trying to inform others of the hotel's business practices.
Jul 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM

999 - I agree with you.
BTW - 3 of 25 reviews at TA have fallen victim to overbooking (bait and switch?) at this hotel.
Jul 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I think I would report that to the tourism bureau. They frown on that.