Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bayswater versus South Kensington.. puhleeze..

Bayswater versus South Kensington.. puhleeze..

Aug 26th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Bayswater versus South Kensington.. puhleeze..

Alright, I need a real London afficianado to answer this one.. I'm trying to convince my boyfriend, with what little knowledge I have about London, to opt for a quiet, innocuous room in South Kensington/Chelsea rather than one in the garish hotel-slum tourist-trap that is Paddington/Bayswater.. mostly because in Kensington we are right between the river and Hyde Park, and also within walking distance of the key areas of west/west central London. He needs to hear all this from a local or a seasoned UK traveller, however, which is what brings me here. Thanks for your help.
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:27 PM

We never stay anyplace else but South Ken or Chelsea..I guess after about 35 trips to London over the years I could be called seasoned...hopefully with a bit of extra Pepper!

I find Paddington just a bit out of the way...walking anywhere interestig is just about impossible unless you are into 5 mile hikes before you get somewhere.

There are lots of good deals on hotels in the SK area!
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:51 PM

I actually really like Bayswater, esp. along Queensway. It's diverse, lively and youthful, and there are good and inexpensive Indian, Thai and Middle Eastern eateries everywhere.
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Personally South Kens would be my choice hands down (compared to Bayswater that is).

Paddington/B'water is not terrible but it is far from most tourist attractions, is pretty spotty (one street will be fine, the next one really grotty). And interestingly, it is not nearly as convenient for traveling around London. I would much rather be on the Picadilly/Circle Lines than the Central for a vacation.

S Kens is just a much more convenient location and is a nice area to walk around. Just don't stay too far south into Chelsea - there isn't any tube service between S Kens/Sloane Square and the river. But there is decent bus service.

I actually prefer Pimlico since it is so close to the river but I've stayed in S Kens several times and it is probably my 2nd favorite neighborhood for accomodations.

Search this Thread