Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bayeux France anyone been there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bayeux-france-anyone-been-there-795500/)

Venezia123 Jul 14th, 2009 11:50 AM

Bayeux France anyone been there?

Looking for a place near or in Bayeux France to spend a couple of days.Would like a little town we can enjoy in the evening after a day of outing to walk around and have a nice dinner.Something with cobblestone streets and quaint if anyone knows of something???

moxie Jul 14th, 2009 11:57 AM

We did not stay in Bayeux but either at St Michel or St Malo. The tapestry is worth a stop. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

BigRuss Jul 14th, 2009 11:59 AM

Bayeux fits your description of a quaint town with good dining options. And it has a nice Cathedral and the Bayeux Tapestry that G-d knows how many people rave about. Our B&B was a bit more offbeat than I cared for, so I can't recommend it.

avalon Jul 14th, 2009 12:01 PM

We stayed a bit further inside The Normandy countryside when we visited Bayeux. But a friend just stayed at the Churchill in the town and loved it. Lots of good restaurants and easy travel to what you will want to visit

Mainhattengirl Jul 14th, 2009 12:03 PM

Bayeux is a beautiful little town, one of the few places in the area that did not get bombed in the war. We enjoyed just wandering around the side streets, and there are a lot of restaurants there too.

We loved our B&B, Hotel de St. Croix. King size bed, huge bathroom, lovely antique furniture all through the house and a charming hostess who made us one of the best breakfasts. I think we only paid 75 € per night and this was in July, though 2 years ago.

http://www.hotel-de-sainte-croix.com...tml/acces.html

rs899 Jul 14th, 2009 12:03 PM

We stayed in a Campanile on the outskirts of Bayeux two years ago that was pretty decent. Our picture window looked out on a dairy farm. Still walking distance into town (bit of a hike, though)

StCirq Jul 14th, 2009 12:08 PM

We've stayed at the Château de la Bellefontaine, a gorgeous property right outside town (5-minute walk to the center). It has no restaurant, but Bayeux has lots of those. It's one of our favorite towns in that part of France.

Venezia123 Jul 14th, 2009 02:44 PM

Thanks to all of you your replyes were a great help.I will ck on the b&b in De ST Croix sounds right up my alley.

Fodorite018 Jul 14th, 2009 03:33 PM

Bayeux is a great little town! We stayed at the Hotel Churchill and loved it. The location is great, right in town and literally everything is right outside your door. The hotel itself is not plush, but it is nice and very well kept, and the owners/staff are extremely helpful. Lots of great places to dine around town, and the Tapestry and Cathedral are big draws as well.

gradyghost Jul 14th, 2009 04:11 PM

Hello Venezia:

We stayed at La Cheneviere just outside Bayeux toward the Channel at Port-en-Bessin. Wonderful accomodations and great restaurant and staff. The hotel is one of the SLH. The site is very convenient to all of the historical locations.

nytraveler Jul 14th, 2009 05:03 PM

Precisely. Bayeux is exactly the type of small town you are describing - unless you mean a tiny village which is little more than a crossroads.

We stayed at a chateau nearby - but it was several years ago and I don;t recall the name. But if you google you should be able to find it. It was absolutely adorable and our bedroom was truly enormous - with a fireplace in which you could roast an ox. Great breakfast and charming family. And very modestly priced.

I'll see if I can dig up the name.

cmeyer54 Jul 14th, 2009 05:29 PM

We spent a week in Bayeux and stayed at Lion D'Or right in town. They had parking onsite which was important for us. its an old stage coach inn, lovely restuarant and a bit away from the noise (not that its a noisy place). We had dinner there one night which was excellent, another night we went to la rapier - down a little alleyway and very nice; pizza on night near the cathedral, one night at a little crepe place near a canal and water wheel and one night we ate out near the Mulberry habor (not memorable but not horrible). the daily market in bayeux was great fun - my son had to buy a necktie since his high school required them, he had no idea how to tie one(neither did I) and his dad was staying in germany for business afterwards. I will always remember looking for a nice tie and then watching him learn to tie it! its still one of his favorites. the cathedral and tapestry are very interesting to see and wandering can take you many places. We spent two+ days touring the D-Day sites.

carolyn Jul 14th, 2009 05:33 PM

We stayed at Le Lion d’Or Hotel right in town. It was charming, and the dining room was gorgeous and with good food, as well. We also ate dinner one night at Le Petit Bistro, a Fodor recommendation that was excellent.

We did a van tour recommended by the hotel from Bayeux to the Normandy beaches. The guide was excellent.

Jean Jul 14th, 2009 07:12 PM

Here's another hotel recommendation for Bayeux:

http://www.ohotellerie.com/dargouges...&editLangue=UK

grandmere Jul 14th, 2009 07:54 PM

We stayed at the Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux; it's near the cathedral, w/in walking distance to the Tapestry and some good restaurants. Helpful, friendly staff, and very attractive common areas, adequate rooms. Parking, also.

beaux Jul 14th, 2009 09:44 PM

We stayed at the Chateau de la Bellefontaine on a bike trip a couple of years ago.
It was very nice and the setting was pretty spectacular. Just a short walk to everything in town.

dutyfree Jul 14th, 2009 09:45 PM

Would second or third the Hotel d'Argourges-great location and wonderful hotel.
Le Petit Bistro was full of tourists all carrying their Rick Steves book so kinda missed the atmosphere.
Bayeux is a terrific place for a base for Normandy and then I would definitely recommend one night when the tourists all leave at Mont St. Michel.