Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bavarian Regional Trainpasses (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bavarian-regional-trainpasses-907989/)

mokka4 Oct 3rd, 2011 03:34 AM

Bavarian Regional Trainpasses

Yes! Its really taking place!
Next May, travelling to Bamberg as base for 8 days.
Daytrips to Ingolstadt, Amberg, Coburg, Wuerzburg and Nuernberg (pretty fixed, after much investigation). Arrive and depart from Frankfurt.
What's the best train option for two persons?
Is there a regional pass that would include all these towns?

mokka4 Oct 3rd, 2011 03:59 AM

Okay, I've done my homework.
Bayern Laender-Ticket for up to 5 persons at 29E/day from the ticket machine.
But what if we want to travel BEFORE 9 am..is it possible with a supplement?
Or, if we want to travel on an IC/ICE/EC?
Finally the trip from Frankfurt Flughafen to Bamberg lists standard fare as 52E or Savings Fare of 29E "15E return/exchange fee"....does this mean that if we miss (god forbid) the specific train we have booked, that we only need to pay a penalty fee of 15 E? (Or is that IN ADDITION TO then purchasing the new standard ticket?)

Ingo Oct 3rd, 2011 06:13 AM

If you miss the specific train you booked for the savings fare of 29 Euro then you go to the ticket counter and return the tickets, but of the 29 Euro you only get back 29 minus 15 = 14 Euro. And you have to buy a ticket for regular fare for the train you plan to take then ...

Ländertickets are not valid on IC/ICE/EC trains. No way around it.

If you start your train travel before 9 am (on weekdays, on weekends or holidays the Länderticket is valid the whole day) you must buy a regular fare ticket to the first stop of the train that you reach after 9 am. From there on the Länderticket is valid.

Bamberg is in the same transportation network as Nürnberg. For this trip you can use the Day Ticket plus - up to six persons, valid the whole day, price is 15.60 Euro.

I.

quokka Oct 3rd, 2011 06:23 AM

Attention!!! Savings fare tickets can be exchanged for that 15 € fee only until one day prior to the travel date but not on the travel day itself or later. If you miss your train the ticket is lost and you have to buy an entirely new ticket for standard fare (unless it is because of the delay of a connecting train, i.e. DB's fault, of course.)

If you exchange a savings fare ticket before travel date, that 15 € penalty fee is in addition to the price diffence to the new ticket.

Ingo Oct 3rd, 2011 06:31 AM

Yuck. Of course, quokka! :-)

Gary_Mc Oct 3rd, 2011 07:37 AM

As far as your daytrips, regional trains are the only option to all except Ingolstadt, making the Bayern Länder Ticket the choice except for Nürnberg as Ingo stated. To Ingolstadt, you can use an RE/ICE option and save an hour or so each way (~1.5 hours vs ~2.5 hours) if it is worth the extra expense.

From Frankfurt airport, you can use the ICE-Regional combo as discussed and get to Bamberg in 2.5 hours. All Regional trains can get you there in 3.5 hours and cost you 48€ (Quer-Durchs-Land-Ticket) during the week and 39€ (Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket)on the weekend. It is up to you what the hour savings is worth.

Source:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Select "only local transport" as the "Means of Transport" to see the local travel options and savings tickets.

Good luck. I am envious as you are visiting my favorite part of Germany.

Regards, Gary

mokka4 Oct 3rd, 2011 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies.
quokka: I wondered what that "validity until one day prior" meant--now I know--it refers to the exchange policy!
Ingo: I will have to investigate the trip to Nuernberg- "Day-Ticket-Plus".....
Now on to the Fewo hunt...while there are MANY choices at reasonable rates (40-60E/night), we are two colleagues who would like separate bedrooms AND a walk of 1 km or under to the Bahnhof. We don't mind the longer walk into the Altstadt, and will be doing 5 daytrips with the train vs. 2.5 "explore Bamberg" days.
I have it narrowed down to about six choices right now,
though that includes the humble sleep-sofa option ;-(.
Any one with specific Fewo options?

PalenQ Oct 3rd, 2011 10:23 AM

If looking for relics of the Third Reich Nuremburg has the most complete set of - or so a sign says at the old Nazi Parade Grounds just south of the centrum where Hitler famously was photographed reviewing the massed goose-stepping elite troops and youth corps.

The old stadium still stands with the balcony bosx where Hitler stood - the vast parade grounds has been uncovered from weeds when I first saw it years ago with the granite slabs pristine again - it goes for miles and there are other stadia and a museum, etc. Just a short S-Bahn hop from town - Bavarian Pass would be valid of course.

logos999 Oct 3rd, 2011 01:19 PM

We all have our perversions. When asking for the most perverted statement, I'd go with Pal. Unless one day someone might take this seriously, but then I'm sure Pal has taken the right precautions. Right? Right!
Happy Unity Day anyway!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Unity_Day