Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bavarian Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bavarian-itinerary-620628/)

wren Jun 3rd, 2006 04:29 PM

Bavarian Itinerary

Do you think that 3 nights in Hohenschwangau, 3 nights in Berchtesgaden, and 2 nights in Munich sounds like the right amount of time spent in that area....too much...too little?

Spygirl Jun 3rd, 2006 05:49 PM

hmmm. I'm thinking you want to do 2-2-4-I mean, aren't you thinking that, really? There's so much to do in Muenchen, it's such a great city.

Think about it: Munich and the "museum ghetto" which you don't want to miss: the Neue and Alte Pinakothek art museums, the Residenz, new and old Rathaus (kinda like Vienna in that respect), Schloss Nymphenberg, the food and flower market- "Viktualienmarkt" (again, sort of like the Naschmarkt in Vienna), the fantastic frescoes in the Asamkirche- antique and bookshop browsing in the Schwabing district, strolling the Hofgarten-yes, you do really need 4 days in Munich, to do it any kind of justice.

kdcwood Jun 3rd, 2006 06:23 PM

Are you flying in and out of Munich? And is 8 nights the total time you have available?

My reaction was also that you need more time in Munich. Two nights means you'll end up with just one full day, and there's just so much to see there... if those things appeal to you.

You could see both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles on the same day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon, but get started early). One night might work there, then head onto your next destination.

Three nights (two full days) in Berchtesgaden makes more sense to me... there's a lot to do and see in that area: a day for the village and maybe the salt mines, a day for the Konigsee and Eagles Nest. And Salzburg is only another 30 minutes away, though probably not time for that on this trip.

I'm assuming you'll have a car? It's about a three hour drive from Schwangau to Berchtesgaden, so that's a half day involved just in changing locations.

Kathy

LoriS Jun 3rd, 2006 06:31 PM

It depends on what you prefer to do. I'd probably do 2-3-3 or 2-4-2. Depending on the itinerary, it could vary.

At most, I think you'll need two nights in Hohenschwangau--arrive late one day, overnight, spend the next two days touring Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Wieskirche (or visit on the way in the previous day), overnight, depart early next morning.

We've not stayed in Berchtesgaden, but there's a lot to see in that area and it may be a good base: daytrips to Herrenchiemsee, Salzburg, etc. The country is beautiful in these parts and I'd prefer to be in the country than spending the additional time in Munich.

RufusTFirefly Jun 3rd, 2006 07:10 PM

Actually you can easily see both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles in half a day. And there are plenty of other sights within easy driving distance. For example, besides the aforementioned Wieskirche, a drive east along the Plansee in northern Austria to Linderhof palace only takes about 45-50 minutes.

kdcwood Jun 4th, 2006 03:35 AM

Hmmm.... I was just there a year ago (have been several times) and I don't think you should plan on seeing both castles in half a day unless you want to race through. It has become more complicated to see Neuschwanstein now than it was on my first visit some years ago.

You now must buy tickets from a ticket office in the village for both castles. The tickets are for a specific time. Sometimes there is a queue for tickets. Then you have to make your way up the steep hill-- either on foot, by bus, or by a horse carriage. There is often a queue for the horses too. Then you wait for your tour time. Once the tour is done, I HIGHLY recommend making the walk further up the hill to the Marienbrucke for the most memorable view of Neuschwanstein castle. (See the link posted below.) You may also want to have lunch at the cafe just below the castle.

I actually enjoy Hohenschwangau more than Neuschwanstein. The hike up that hill is easier, but take time to stroll around the castle grounds. (You will also have to wait for the time up there.)

And I definitely agree there is much more to do in that area. Our family stayed a full week in Oberammergau (our fourth visit to the area) last April and could have stayed longer. I suggested cutting your time there to a day simply to give more time in Munich.

BUT, it really depends on your interests and the type of environment that calls out to you. Maybe you will be like me and keep going back!!!

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3581

Kathy