Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bavaria - want to rent apt/house (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bavaria-want-to-rent-apt-house-821085/)

jonesie Jan 10th, 2010 06:14 PM

Bavaria - want to rent apt/house

Hello! We are looking to meet my BIL and family in Bavaria for a vacation in September. We have two young families, and would like to rent an apartment (s) or house (s) - does anyone have any recommendations? We have used Vacation in Paris two years ago and were very pleased. We are thinking Garmisch, but are open to other areas, we would like to visit Austria as well. BIL will have a car, and likely we will too. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

swandav2000 Jan 10th, 2010 08:49 PM

Hi jonesie,

There are really dozens (maybe even hundreds) of such apartments, called Ferienwohnung (plural is Ferienwohnungen).

You can start your search at Garmisch's own site

www.gapa.de

Change the language to English, then go to their accommodation pages, where you can search by date and type of accommodation. You'll want to choose "Holiday Flat" under "Accommodation Type." (You may have to choose your language again; this is a new platform for this website, and it still has some bugs."

As you search for one, you may find many sites that are only in German, but don't worry because they will quickly answer your e-mail in English. I also tend to use the language tools at google -- just copy the text and paste it there to translate.

I also use google maps to get the exact position of each apartment.

Unfortunately I don't have any specific ones to recommend to you; I've stayed at a Ferienwohnung in Grainau and one in Mittenwald but never here in Garmisch.

BTW, if you decide to base in Garmisch itself, you may not need a car at all!

s

ozgirl Jan 10th, 2010 10:40 PM

Hi jonesie, we had a great experience in 2008 in Berchtesgaden at www.gleixner-berchtesgaden.de. We stayed in the one titled "Ferienhaus Sommerbichl". (Try google to translate - 'summer vacation' I think?)

We found the German websites a little more difficult to navigate than the French equivalents but Annemarie answered all of our emails and questions promptly. She has two apartments (one upstairs, one down) with a great view and beautiful facilities.
We travelled into Austria from this location as well and would highly recommend it. I am happy to try and answer any other queries if you are interested.

bigtyke Jan 11th, 2010 06:23 AM

check www.bensbauernhof.com and look under accommodations for some recommends.

treplow Jan 11th, 2010 04:07 PM

I agree, bensbauernhof is a great source for what you are looking for.

J62 Jan 11th, 2010 04:51 PM

Yep - start with gapa.de for Garmisch apartments - they have an excellent website with extensive listings.

The beauty of Garmisch is it's location at the base of the mtns, not just the old center of the town. When we rented there for a 1mo stay a few years ago we booked a place about 5min drive/20min walk outside town, and it actually cost us less.

The 1st few days we thought we regretted the location. By the 3rd day or so, after we'd seen all there was to see in Garmisch center we found we actually preferred being outside town. It was easy to come and go by car. The apartment came with bicycles so we were able to ride them to the chair lift at the base of the mountains, ride them to the indoor swimming pool, local bakery for breakfast goodies, etc.

Very handy.

We loved the location of Garmish - plenty to do for young (and old) families. Hiking (take the cable car up one of the local ski mtns (not the Zugspitze)) and spend the day walking down well marked trails, more hiking - this time on more level ground around one of the nearby, picture postcard lakes, Sommerrodelbahn (summer toboggan) by the Olympic ski jumps, public town pool (indoor).

Easy access to Munich by train. Easy access to Fussen / castles (we use our car for that - sorry swandav).