Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   BAVARIA TO SWITZERLAND WITH SWISSRAIL PASS (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bavaria-to-switzerland-with-swissrail-pass-821791/)

Paragkash Jan 14th, 2010 10:37 PM

BAVARIA TO SWITZERLAND WITH SWISSRAIL PASS

Dear Fodorites,
We ( family of 2 adults +2 kids) are spending 4 days in Bavaria and going to Geneva, Switzerland for 8 days.
I am landing in Munich. Thinking of renting a car for 3 days.
Day1- Munich Brchtesgaden
Day2-3- Fussen
Day 4- Lindau- Return the car in the morning
Day 5- Lindau- Switzerland by boat on lake Contance ( Romanshorn? )11 Euro/pp
& Then take a scenic rail journey to Geneva.
( Europecar has a pickup centre at Lindau- will charge only 15 E extra)

Travelling to Basel will cost me more and take more time.
( I dont want to take a direct train- Munich- Zurich- Costs 320 Euros for us)

Is there any other way of reaching Switzerland and get full worth of my Swiss pass.

swandav2000 Jan 14th, 2010 10:51 PM

Hi Paragkash,

I travel between München and Zürich often. If you can get your tickets online, you can find them for about 50 E each.

Anyway, good luck!

s

swandav2000 Jan 14th, 2010 10:52 PM

Sorry, posted too fast. Should have added --

Those fares are advanced purchase; they go on sale about 89 days early but sell out fast. You can find them at the German rail site

www.bahn.de

s

Paragkash Jan 14th, 2010 11:18 PM

Dear Swandav
I will be in Fussen with a car on 6th May.
Should I backtrack to Munich or Proceed to Lindau, which is on Switzerland Border. This costs me only 44 E for the family.
Is Lindau/ Mainau worth a day trip?

Ingo Jan 15th, 2010 05:54 AM

Lindau is very close to the Swiss border. Take the regional train via Bregenz (Austria) to St. Margrethen (Switzerland) where you can jump on any Swiss train. Fare is 7.20 Euro per person. No backtracking to Munich.

Looks like you plan to rent the car for 4 days. Munich Airport to Lindau, right?

Paragkash Jan 17th, 2010 04:03 AM

thanks for the help.
Ingo, you are right.
Thanks for suggesting a train journey from Lindau to Margrethen. I was thinking of travelling by boat.

I am thinking of renting a car from Munich airport to Lindau, via Berchtesgaden, Garmisch and Fussen.
This a dream trip of my life time, which I am thinking about since a long time.
I could not reach Fussen from Munich 10 years ago, when there was a problem with rail tracks near Fussen and had to cut short my trip and come back to Munich.
I would love to spend much more time in Bavaria. Was thinking of making another trip some time in future. But changed my mind as I have made 6 trips to only to Europe in last 10 years and haven't been able to see other parts of the world.
So, I have managed to squeeze in at least 4 days by stretching my trip on both the sides- Starting with Turkey and then to Switzerland, via Germany.
I am using my usual and effective tool of " Open Jaw" air ticket.
I am not yet sure whether to rent a car or use public transport, like in Switzerland.
please help.

altamiro Jan 17th, 2010 05:40 AM

>( I dont want to take a direct train- Munich- Zurich- Costs 320 Euros for us)

Why? If you have a Swiss Pass you only need to buy the tickets until Swiss border (St. Margarethen), and kids under 14 travel for free anyways.

Paragkash Jan 17th, 2010 08:38 AM

Thanks.
I didn't know that kids under 14 travel free in Germany.
Is it true?
I think a ticket from Lindau will cost me less.
What is better.
Going by boat to Romanshorn or by train to St. Margarethen?
I think train would be better..

altamiro Jan 20th, 2010 12:46 PM

train is faster and logistically easier, but if the weather is right and you have enough time, the boat is nicer.