Italy and Greece

Search

Italy and Greece

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy and Greece

Hello - I would like to plan a trip for my husband and I to Italy and Greece. I am wondering - is it even possible to visit Italy and Greece in 10 days??? The major cities we would most like to see are Rome, Venice and Athens. We would also like to see a little of the Almafi coast and some of the Greek islands. Any budget saving tips would be appreciated.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:19 AM

Hi Ali - ' I am wondering - is it even possible to visit Italy and Greece in 10 days???'

Well that's easy. In a word, NO - unless you want to spend half of your 10 days travelling ...

Why not just see Italy this time and save Greece for another trip?

Steve
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 03:01 AM

I have to agree with Steve. Both Italy and Greece have enough to keep you busy for ten days each. It is possible to visit a few major towns in both countries in that time but it would be a busy time. To see some Greek islands would take even longer, at 1-3 days each per island, and would be better another time.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:37 AM

It might be doable if you choose one place in Italy & one in Greece. What month are you going? You could do 5 nights in Rome, then fly to Athens and grab a connecting flight to an island where you could spend 5 nights. But, I think quality is better over quantity. I would choose one country.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Of course it's possible to visit Italy and Greece in ten days. I'd certainly do it, but then I've been to both countries lots of times. My first two visits to Italy were each for two weeks, so I was reasonably familiar with Italian customs, language, food, etc, before I first went to Greece. It took rather longer to become familiar with Greece. If you've not been to the countries before, then a ten-day trip to both would give only a superficial view, little different from looking at pictures in a guide book. If that's all you you want, then it is possible in ten days.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I'm surprised at how often people reject seeing Greece and Italy together, since their histories are so deeply entwined. However, the trip you are talking about attempting is too rushed for 10 days. You would need to eliminate some destinations.

What draws you to both places? If you are interested in Greek antiquity, it makes sense to pair Naples/Amalfi with Greece and its islands. If you are interested in Byzantium, then Venice/Ravenna and the relevant parts of Greece makes sense.

Venice, Roma and the Amalfi are among Italy's most expensive destinations.

If it is Greek and Italan culture you are after, on a budget, consider a trip to Sicily, which has both and also has beautiful islands.