Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bavaria question- bayern ticket for trains- Romantic road towns included?

Apr 30th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

We have planned our trip with a rental car, but are now reconsidering last minute and need some advice to make a good decision!

Does anyone know about the bayern ticket? I looked on bahn.de but could not figure out where to purchase it. We want to leave Munich airport by train and head to Rothenburg. The next town we want to hit is Fussen for the castles. Are these cities accessable with the bayern ticket? I would appreciate any help with this.
Apr 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM

kjenn -

I haven't had the opportunity to utilize the Bayern Ticket yet, so I can't vouch for it, however, I have read a lot of information here on Fodor's about it, so I will attempt to answer your questions.

Yes, Rothenburg and Fussen are in Bavaria. thus covered by the Bayern ticket. However, travel is ONLY limited to certain trains, such as IRE, RE, RB & S-Bahn. Doing a quick search on bahn.de for travel from Munich to Rothenburg comes up with most trips on ICE trains, which is NOT covered. There is (at least) a 12:37 and a 15:35 that takes about 3 hr 15 min and only utilizes an RE & RB train. If these times aren't good for you, I suppose you could also purchase a point-to-point for travel on the ICE train and then use the Bayern Pass for the RE & RB trains (if it's economical). Do a search at the following to figure out the schedule and type of trains:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

The Bayern Ticket is valid only Monday to Friday from 9:00 am until 3:00 am the following morning. Price is E22.00 for up to 5 people travelling together. I think you can buy the ticket online, but not certain about that. Information on the ticket can be found at:

http://www.bahn.de/pv/view/int_guest..._tickets.shtml

There is also a weekend pass, the Happy-Weekend Ticket, for E30.00 for up to 5 people. It works kind of the same way, but travel is Saturdays or Sundays between 12:00 am until 3:00 am the next day. Info can be found at:

http://bahn.de/pv/view/int_guest/offers_national.shtml

Doing a quick search of Rothenburg to Fussen it looks like most trips are on RB, RE and/or IRE trains (expect a few changes).

Hope this helps in your planning. If you have any other questions, please post. Have a safe and wonderful trip. Peace.

Robyn
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM

We bought the pass a few years ago for travel to Massing from Oberamergau. We bought it at the Bahnhof. You cannot travel between 4:00 pm and 6opm I believe. A cheap way to travel.
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM

We drove that entire area 2 years ago in June I'm not a guy who likes cars and driving much, but I have to admit the driving was pretty easy and we were able to see a lot of things that we wouldn't have if we'd travelled by train.

We actually used the trains for the first part of our trip--Frankfurt to Bamberg and Bamberg to Munich. That worked well for us as we had to be in those cities on specific days, so we would not have been able to explore between those cities anyway.

We picked up the rental car when we left Munich, then drove to Hohenschwangau (the little village that the castles are located in--near Fussen). Made several stops on the way there. Stayed there a couple of nights, then drove up to Rothenburg. And finally up to the Mosel River.

As I said, overall driving was easy and we had a lot of fun taking side trips, stopping in small towns, little restaurants on lakesides, etc.
Apr 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM
tmh

Used it extensively in our travels this past Nov/Dec. Waiting til 9 was not a problem as we let breafast take up portion of our day.

We simply bought them at the trian station - we were in Bamberg when we bought our first one. There are excellent Information Booths in many of the RR stations. My 'travel German' worked well with thier limited English.

Note; Each region has their own ticket according to the Info Station in Nurnberg. WE never tried for any place else but recalled a broshure (in German) that seemed to state this.

Great option.
May 1st, 2004, 06:38 AM

Last September we tried to do this, and found that taking a "local" train to Rothenburg is very difficult following the Bayern Ticket rules - you would be exhausted by the time you got there. We had thought to go on a one day excursion, but since you can't leave before 9 AM, it was impossible. Munich-Fuessen is a 2 hour direct ride on a RB. To Rothenburg from Fuessen you have to change trains a few times and the cheapest one way price is about 35 euros and about 4 hours time from the airport.
May 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM

You can buy the Bayern ticket at any station in Bavaria. The pass is good for any destination within Bavaria and a few outside. If you are in Munich, you can buy one for each day you will use the train in advance, making it very easy. Some of the smaller stations have only ticket machines, but the ticket can be purchased from those too.

Rothenburg and Fussen are both served by train. Rothenburg is about 3.5-4 hours away by regional train, however - best to stay over in R'burg if you can. If going on a daytrip from Munich, it is tight, but not impossible. There are departures from Munich at about 9:00 but you'd need to leave R'burg on the 6, 7, or 8 pm trains to get back to Munich.

It used to be true that travel was restricted between 4 and 6 pm on the Bayern ticket, but no longer.

On weekends, the Bayern ticket can be used at any hour (not just after 9 am as on weekdays.) You do not need a "Happy weekend" ticket (which is several Euros more) unless you want to travel outside Bavaria.

May 4th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Just to mention it, should you actually have to leave the state of Bavaria (to get to Frankfurt, for example), there is an equivalent ticket for every other state, such as a BW-ticket or a NRW-ticket. So you could easily combine these things if you had to.
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:15 AM
MaureenB

We used the Bayern Pass from Munich to Fussen this past June. It was a great way to travel, and just about 22 Euros for all four of us. I believe the trains left Munich about every two hours, and the trip itself is about two hours to Fussen. The pass applies for trains that depart Munich after 9 a.m., otherwise I think it's 38 Euros for the pass. We thoroughly enjoyed the trains, over driving a car.
But, we did discover an error on the train schedule the agent had printed for us in the morning, though. Our printout showed a direct train at 9 p.m. from Fussen back to Munich, but we got to the train station and discovered the train would have a two-hour layover in a teensy town along the way. Not a good plan, but we had a walk and a beer at the one restaurant in that town, so not too bad, but not what we'd expected at the end of a long day. So, my advice is to check at least two places for your scheduled return train. Enjoy it. We loved the area and the castle.
p.s. Note that the Bayern pass also covers the bus fare from the trian station into town. Be sure to ask the bus driver about it. We used ours, but discovered that several people didn't know they could. (Then you pay for a shuttle up to the castle.)

Jul 13th, 2004, 11:35 AM

So how do the passes work going from one state to another, especially since I suppose each station only sells the pass for that state (or does it?). Are you then charged from the last station in one state to your destination in the next? Can you buy a pass from the conductor?
Unfortunately, the Die Bahn site, extensive as it is, doesn't seem to spell this out. Thanks for any help..
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:25 AM

i used it trvelling from munich to / from salzburg. was 15 euro a single ticket each way. even though salzburg is in austria it was still covered as is considered to be on the border.
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Hydrograff: You are right that at stations, you can only buy the ticket within the Land in question, although "border towns" will often sell you one for the neighboring Land (for instance, I have bought a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket at the counter in Bonn, a city just outside R-P, prior to my journey south.) You are also right that you may purchase a "Laender Ticket" for a Land you are about to enter from the conductor. And when you cross a border, your Laender-ticket is good usually all the way to the first station in the newly-entered Land (if heading north along the Rhine from Koblenz, for example, you can go all the way to Bonn with a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket.)

Not all of the Laender have tickets, and not all are the same price or operate the same way. The Bayern ticket, for example, is available for single travelers at a reduced price and can be bought on weekends; I know of no other such Laender ticket with these features at present. Be sure to ask about all the conditions when you buy one.
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Bear in mind you'll miss a lot on a train. True, Rothenburg and Neuschwanstein are the normal "tickets to be punched" by a first time tourist. BUT there's a lot quite nearby you could see by car, but not by train. E.g., Dinkelsbuhl 20 mi N,. Nordlingen 20 mi NW are also walled cities, perhaps less commercial. There's Bad Mergentheim, Crailsheim, etc etc etc (get a german map with castle symbols, I'll bet there are 100 tourable castles within a 100 mile diameter of Rothenburg. Maybe another 50 within 100 miles of Neuschwanstein. Do take in some cathedrals. If in Fussen, go to Mittenwald and the mountains, or go west 2 hours to the Bodenzee at Lindau.