Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bavaria in last week of November. Should we drive or use trains/bus?

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:38 AM
John

We will be in Munich for a few days the last week in Novmber. We would like to see some of the Bavaria area and visit towns like Garmisch, Oberammergau, Fussen, etc. and maybe Berchtesgaden/Salzburg. Would it be better to take trains to each of these towns or rent a car in Munich and drive. I am a little concerned about getting lost and possible ice/snow on the backroads. How hard is it to find someone in that area who speaks English well enough to give directions to a couple of lost travellers who cannot speak German at all?

We were in Germany last year on a Globus tour and got to see enough of the area to know we wanted to come back.

Any suggestions or help with an itererary will be greatly appreciated.

Danke (my one German word)

John

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Russ

All of your destinations are do-able by train except Oberammergau (there might be a bus connection) via good connections from Munich. The connections east-to-west between these places are lousy, however; you have to head back to Munich before moving on. So if you're planted in Munich for your overnights, you're in good shape with the train. There are a couple of nice things about the train. Besides the regular driving, navigating, parking, traffic and weather hassles with the car, you won't have to return in the dark on icy roads or cut your day short to get back before dark (November's sun turns in early.) Also, there are some regional daypasses for weekday travel (Bayern Ticket) and some all-country passes for Sat and Sun (Schoenes Wochenende Ticket) that allow you to ride the regional trains all day (after 9 am on weekdays) with four other people for $18 total, making it quite reasonable to get around (for the trip to Berchtesgaden, the regional trains will take you a little more time than the fast ones; might be worth buying regular tickets - check schedules and prices at www.bahn.de)

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:55 AM
John

Sorry. I forgot to mention that we would probably overnight in Garmisch area once we got there for 1-2 nights. Does that change your recommnedation?
If you we going to pick between overnighting in Garmisch, Oberammagau, Fussen, Mittenwald, etc. which would you pick?

Thanx,

John

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Doug

A car gives you alot more freedom. And if there's more than two of you, a car will be much cheaper. Travelling via car allows you to take detours to places like the Wieskirche, Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Ettal all of which are very interesting. The Germans clear snow off the roads the minute it starts to snow. They keep the roads salted and plowed. If you fear driving in snow (it's really the ice that's dangerous), just travel in daylight and you'll be fine. You'll find most Germans speak at least passable English. Believe me, they will go out of their way to help with directions. I've even had them hop in the car with me to show me the way, then they'd walk back. Great people in Bavaria. For better help go to:

http://www.bavariaben.com/

He'll map out a great itinerary for you (just ask) and give you some great places to stay and eat.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:35 AM
jj

I did this (almost) exact itinerary last year. We rented a car from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and took off into the wild blue yonder. It was THE best part of the trip. I suggest you drive. Driving was very easy. Don't go so much by road names/#'s but instead follow the signs to the next town and the next until you reach your destination. We rented the car in Munich and went to Fussen, Oberammergau, up to Rothenburg and back to drop off at the Munich airport. I strongly suggest this as the scenery is awesome and you can stop/go as you please. I don't know about the road conditions as I was there in June. Good luck!!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
ellen

Don't worry about getting lost. I rented a car alone and drove from Munich to Garmisch and around Bavaria. Well-marked roads, no problem.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Eva

Take the car, you can see a lot more and the scenery is really great. If you go to Salzburg and don?t want to see anything on your way down (Herrenchiemsee is one of the castles of old crazy Ludwig) you can take the train as parking tends to be a problem there. Of course it can be that there is already snow, but neccessarily. Roads are cleared very fast.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Linda

If you are going to be there at the end of November, check which Christmas markets are open. They are great fun with good food and potential presents.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Bob

We are doing the same trip and will go by car as we have done in the past. You can get out and enjoy the great scenery.

The Christmas markets will start this year on November 30 in most towns. Have the gluwein and enjoy the fun.

I would stay in Garmisch among the three or four you mentioned. It is sort of in the middle of all of them and is a nice area. Try the Hilleprandt Hotel in Garmisch. Great small inn with nice people.

English is spoken all over Germany. It is difficult to find someone that speaks no English as it has been widely taught in schools since the 50s. Don't worry too much about that.

If you drive, just be sure you have a good map and a glossary to explain the road signs. You also need to know some of the basics of German rules for driving on the autobahn.

The very scenic road from Berchtesgaden to Garmisch that goes through Reit Im Winkl is great but sometimes closed in the winter months. This would be doubling back a little to get to Garmisch from Berchtesgaden. If I were you I would simply drive from Munich to Garmisch, headquarter there, and explore that area by car. Plenty to do and see. You may want to hit Berchtesgaden another time.