Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bavaria from Munich to Innsbruck (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bavaria-from-munich-to-innsbruck-1003015/)

LEEPEE25 Jan 16th, 2014 06:52 AM

Bavaria from Munich to Innsbruck

At the end of June I will be flying into Munch and spending approximately 7 nights in Germany. Originally our plan was to have a base in Munich for 4 nights and from there do a day trip to Rothenburg and another day drip to Fussen (Castles).After the 4 nights we planned on getting the train to Salzburg, doing one night there and then getting the train to Hallstatt and doing 2 nights there. The thing that put us off this idea was the journey time travelling back to Munich Airport from Hallstatt which could take 5-6 hours.

Our new itinerary is
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Rothenburg
Day 3 Travel to Fussen by train and stay 1 night (See castles)
Day 4 Travel to Mittenwald and stay 2 nights to explore the area
Day 6 Travel to Innsbruck and stay 1 night
Day 7 Travel back to Munich for flight home

Firstly, are we allowing enough time for travel etc to be able to enjoy each place.

Is Innsbruck worth seeing?

Does anybody recommend a different route or a different order of places to see?

Has anybody got any advice/tips regarding each place - areas to stay, things not to miss etc?

Much appreciated.

PalenQ Jan 16th, 2014 07:02 AM

Well you have very little time in Munich so I would put a whole day in there - do you want to see Dachau, in suburban Munich?

I'd say Salzburg is much better for a day than Innsbruck - Salzburg being one of Europe's most beautiful cities IME - Innsbruck is nice too but not as outstanding - I'd do it as a day trip from Munich - less than 2 hours by train each way.

Most of your train trips are covered by the Bavarian Lander Pass - unlimited use of regional trains all day as well as city trams, S-Bahns, U-Bahns, etc. You cannot use the faster IC and ICE trains however so like going to Salzburg (in Austria but the Bavarian Pass will take you there) you may take an hour longer each way.

Fussen in only served by regional trains. For lots of good info on German trains check out these superb IMO sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Relocating hotels and bases inevitably takes a lot of time packing up, unpacking, finding the hotels, etc - I'd do Innsbruck as a day trip from nearby Mittenwald.

Fussen to Mittenwald you can take a bus thru the gap to Reutte, Austria and take a train to Garmisch-P then change for Mittenwald - even though goes thru Austria is considered a German train and the Bavaria Pass is valid - not sure about the Fussen-Reutte bus however.

Masterphil Jan 16th, 2014 07:13 AM

I agree with PalenQ!

Salzburg shouldn't be missed!

We planned on staying in Fussen during our last trip there. Got into this small town through a major traffic jam. Fussen is just loaded with tour buses and too many tourists! We decided to not stay there for the night.

We took lots of photos and stayed the night in Munich!

LEEPEE25 Jan 16th, 2014 08:03 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

So you would definitely recommend Salzburg over Innsbruck. The reason I went with Innsbruck is because it felt more convenient with being down at Mittenwald. I'm thinking if I do Salzburg it means three long day trips from Munich I.e. Rothenburg. Fussen. Salzburg. All 3 in opposite directions.

Thanks for the info about the trains and passes. I will look closely at the websites you suggested.

Is the Mittenwald area interesting enough to stay for more than 1 night? Is it less touristy than Fussen?

Thanks again for your replies.

PalenQ Jan 16th, 2014 10:35 AM

Well Innsbruck is neat too and you make a salient point about three long day trips - Innsbruck's lures are not just the city but be sure to take the mountain tram to Igls and the scene of the 1960 (?) Winter Olumpics and ski jump - a wonderful area of forests and walking trails and great views over Innsbruck laid out all down below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=isls...=1600&bih=1075

PalenQ Jan 16th, 2014 12:48 PM

If I had to chose between Fussen, Salzburg, Innsbruck and Rothenburg I'd ditch the latter, a museum town often incredibly mobbed by every tour bus on the continent - neatest at night when day trippers are gone - been there thrice and a lovely old walled town but in tourist season to me totally lacking in romance unless souvenir stands and shops everywhere appeal to yuh!

pja1 Jan 16th, 2014 01:09 PM

Hi,

While we've been to all the places on your list, I don't think here's a need to see Insbruck if you'll be staying in Mittenwald. Both offer beautiful alpine scenery, but Mittenwald is by far more charming. Plus, if you added the Innsbruck night to Mittenwald, why not simply take the 1 hour trip to visit Innsbruck for a day from your base in Mittenwald?

We actually loved Fuessen, Stayed here on 2 separate trips. Ditto for Salzburg. We've visited Salzburg many times, it's all that.

Rothenburg, we visited once. Well worth seeing, but it is very "touristy". We really enjoyed it after say 5pm., after the tour bus crowds left.

To pick a couple off of your list, it would be Salzburg and Mittenwald, You may also be able to visit Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau plus Linderhof from Mittenwald as well.

I don't know if this helps any, but...

PalenQ Jan 16th, 2014 01:12 PM

Yes day trip into Interlaken from Mittenwald.

swandav2000 Jan 16th, 2014 09:52 PM

PalenQ -- I'm assuming that's a brain-typo. I believe you meant,

"day trip into Innsbruck from Mittenwald"!

s

PalenQ Jan 17th, 2014 07:41 AM

swandav2000 - yes of course a brain fart - Innsbruck for sure, not Interlaken, deep into Switzerland and about 6 hours or so each way from Mittenwald. thanks for the correcto!

AisleSeat Jan 23rd, 2014 02:02 PM

I agree that you should drop Innsbruck for Salzburg but then I would drop almost anywhere for Salzburg. Mittenwald is a charming tiny town and I love the breakfast at the Alpenrose Hotel but you may end up twiddling your thumbs after the first day there. The day trip to Innsbruck is ok but you can also go to Hall or the little ski village, Seefeld that is just a few miles down the road.

As someone else pointed out, Munich has a lot to offer too, depending you your likes and dislikes. Three big art museums, Hoffbrau Haus (Bavarian Folk Evening show nightly on the upper floors), Dachau, Marien Platz, Residenz, Nymphenburg Palace, Alte Peter Kirche, Frauen Kirche, Asam Kirche, Olympic Grounds, Opera, BMW museum and plant tour, Deutsches Museum, 3rd Reich sites, etc., etc.