Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bavaria/Austrian Alps/ and ?? (Strasbourg??)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. We just booked round trip flights to and from Frankfurt for the second half of September. We wanted to fly into Munich but the ticket prices were much more favorable using the Frankfurt airport. We will pick up a car at the airport for the trip.

Anyway, I wanted to post an itinerary and hope to see some comments. We have visited Munich and Salzburg before, almost 20 years ago, and did a day trip to Neuschwanstein. We want to spend a couple of days seeing the Bavarian castles more leisurely and also see a bit more of the Austrian Alps. Since we have to return from Frankfurt, I thought perhaps we should take a detour towards the end into France and check out Strasbourg, which we have never seen. We toured Heidelberg, the Rhine and the Mosel Valleys somewhat recently.

Here is the proposed itinerary, and I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or whatever:

Sept 13 arrive Frankfurt, stop in Wurzburg or Rothenburg overnight
Sept 14, 15 & 16 Munich
Sept 17, 18 & 19 Salzburg
Sept 20 Innsbruck
Sept 21, 22 and 23 Reutte
Sept 24, 25 & 26 Strasbourg (drive time from Reutte = approx 4- hours)
Sept 27 in or near Frankfurt (drive time from Strasbourg = 2 hrs 18 min)
Sept 28 depart from Frankfurt airport
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Instead of three days in Strasbourg, I'd spend two days in Colmar, using it as base to see some of the nearby Wine Route villages. Then spend the last day in Strasbourg.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Why Innsbruck?
I hate one niters and you can easily spend half a day there on your way to Reutte.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I think Innsbruck is worth more than a 1/2 day. I found plenty to keep me interested for 1 1/2 days. (And, I don't shop.)

You may want to take a taxi/bus to an off-airport location to pick-up your rental car. There is typically an airport surcharge for picking up at the airport (but not for dropping off there).

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

With a car and the time you have, I'd skip Innsbruck (we do love the area though) and Reutte (I don't see the allure of Reutte as a place to stay), and take these 4 nights and stay in Zell am Zee 2 nights (1:30 from Salzburg) and then head over the Gerlos Pass to the stunning Zillertal for 2 nights before moving on.

Drive the spectacular Grossglockner Hochaplenstrasse and take a cruise on the lake while based in Zell am See.

If interested, we have pic's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel15.html

Paul
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:26 AM

I agree with pja - Reutte? It's not that great. There's nothing really wrong with it, but there are probably hundreds of nearby towns with more to do, more charm, better architecture, better scenery, better restaurants, etc.

I also like pj's idea of driving the Grossglocknerstrasse. Spectacular. You could leave from Zell am See and overnight in Lienz. Lienz is a really nice town set in a valley between the Alps and the Dolomites. Good castle there too. Then to Innsbruck.

For proximity to the Ludwig's castles, Fuessen is excellent. Very nice town although not exactly free of tourists.

You don't really need 3 days for Salzburg unless you are planning a drive through the Salzkammergut on one of the days.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

I agree that there's nothing really wrong with Ruette, I just don't see why it would be a place anyone would make a plan on staying. We loved Fuessen, which is less than 10 minutes from Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and the Tegelberg cable car and luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn). We stayed twice at the Hotel zum Hechten in Fuessen ('01, '03). If you stay in the area for the 3 nights, have you been to the top of the Zugspitze? It's an easy drive to Ehrwald, Austria for this trip. Have you seen the Wieskirche? it's nearby the castle's also. Ludwig's amazing Linderhof palace is a "must see" if you're already interested in seeing Neuschwanstein.

www.zugspitze.at

www.hotel-hechten.com

Just some opinions/options:

To see "more of the Austrian Alps", I also might cut a night from Salzburg (and/or Munich). We actually prefer to base in the Berchtesgaden area (actually Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden or Schonau am Konigsee) for our visits to Salzburg. We've stayed at the Pension Mayringerlehen 3 times ('06, '07, '09) and the Guesthouse Friedwiese once ('10). The scenery here is more "dramatic" and Salzburg is less than 30 min. away. Many times we've simply driven to Salzburg for dinner and to stroll around in the evening.

www.mayringerlehen.de

www.friedwiese.de/enska/isl.htm

If you really want to keep the 3 nights in the Ruette area ("We want to spend a couple of days seeing the Bavarian castles more leisurely"), and if you cut a night from either Munich or Salzburg and skipped Innsbruck, that would leave 2 nights between Salzburg and Reutte. Tough decision, but I'd make a choice between the Zillertal and Zell am See for those 2 nights. Between Zell am See's location on the lake with snow capped peaks surrounding it and the Zillertal's magnificent alpine scenery, I don't see how you could go wrong with either.

www.worldisround.com/articles/355538/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/355540/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/338868/index.html

We stayed in both of these places in '09:

gaestehaus-bergland.at

www.pension-alpenrose.com

Sorry if I went "overboard" with the links!

Paul
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Everyone's comments are so welcome and exactly what I hope to learn from this forum. I am rethinking our itinerary to include Zell am Zee, the Grossglockner Hochalpstrasse, and Zillertal after checking out some of the links and doing a few google searches. Would it be unwise to visit these areas without booking hotel rooms in advance?

Years ago, we visited Linderhof and Neuschwanstein on a group day trip from Munich by bus, including a stop in Oberammergau. We always thought we should return and spend more time seeing the castles again, maybe taking in Hohenschwangau, Wieskirche and the luge, and and I had heard that Reutte was a good base for doing so. But after reading everyone's responses, I think we should try to see new places and, maybe, allot at most one day to Neuschwanstein and Linderhof if we want to re-visit them again. If only time were not an issue!!

Again, thanks to all, and we will definitely be posting more with new questions and a revised schedule.