Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bath, England -- Hotel recommendations please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bath-england-hotel-recommendations-please-42387/)

Kay Apr 16th, 1999 01:05 PM

Bath, England -- Hotel recommendations please

I'd love to have your personal recommendations for lodgings in/around Bath, England. I'm doing research now for a two-week trip to southern England in October 1999, and thought I could use the Bath area for a staying point while my husband and I see Bath and drive around the Cotswolds and Avebury, Stonehenge, etc. Wish to keep the nightly cost to around $100.

Rene Apr 16th, 1999 06:52 PM

We stayed at Badminton Villa, a very nice BnB about 10 min walk from train station. Sue and John are great hosts, wonderful showers, big breakfast, and great view of Bath. You can checkout this and other accomadations at www.Bath.co.uk (also info about concerts, etc.) We paid 58BP in Oct. 98 I would also recommend Salisbury with its cathedral. We also explored Cotswolds from Bath, but it was a very long day, you might consider staying there for a few nights. Friends of ours also stayed at Villa Magdela and loved it (I think it was slightly more expensive) It was cloudy most of the time when we were there, but very light rain. Have a great time

Mary Apr 17th, 1999 02:50 AM

Hi Kay, We were in Bath last month and stayed at the Sarnia B&B. We highly recommend it. We paid 70 pounds for a large room for our family of 6. I believe the rate for a double is 50 pounds. There was a choice of breakfasts - traditional English, continental, or a vegetarian breakfast. The owners, Rob and Jill Fradley went out of their way to make us feel at home. Also, as you will be driving, there is parking on-site. I believe I found them listed at www.britain.co.uk. Their phone # is 1225424159. Have a great trip.

Kay Apr 17th, 1999 03:13 AM

Thanks to both Rene and Mary for your recommendations. It's also useful to know it makes a long day, a too long day from the sounds of it, to take in the Cotswolds from Bath. Do both of your recommendations accept credit cards, by the way? Thanks again.

Rene Apr 17th, 1999 01:51 PM

Yes, both Badminton Villa and Villa Magdila accept credit cards. You can reach Badminton Villa through a site called Smoothhound (www.s-h-systems.co.uk/shs.html) Another good site for accomadations is the Auto Association in Britain (www.theaa.co.uk/theaa/index.asp) <BR>Try to have tea or lunch in the Pump Room and Roman Baths, and dont miss Sally Lunds Buns!

Mary Apr 18th, 1999 05:52 AM

Kay, The Sarnia does accept credit cards, however there is a 5% surcharge if you pay that way. Mary

Kay Apr 18th, 1999 03:58 PM

Thank you both for your excellent suggestions. I was able to show both recommendations to my husband on the web and we picked the Badminton. Now I just hope it's available when we want it. Also, we do definitely plan to go to Salisbury. Any more suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.