Bastille Day in Paris...What's Open

Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Bastille Day in Paris...What's Open

Our last day in Paris this year wil be Bastille Day. Is anything open, stores, restaurants etc?
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM

We were there a few years ago and if I remember correctly, most of the stores were closed, but they might have been open in the morning. Oh, lord, my memory! Restaurants were open.

All I really wanted to say, was that this was the BEST party. We tell all our friends to go to Paris for Bastille day. I don't know where your hotel is, but it was an experience going home on the Metro. Took ages, it was crowded, but everyone was in such a good mood, that no one seemed to mind. It was really hot that year too, so we in were glad we had a hotel with AC.

People take picnics to the park in front of the Eiffel Tower, with many of the grassy spots taken by 1700. The show does not really start until about 2200 though, since it takes forever to get dark. But once the show starts it is grand, and beautiful and just plain fabulous. We had fun people watching. Take your drinks with and your dinner. Have fun!
Feb 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
ira

Hi Dor,

Bastille Day, as you know, is the French 4th of July. What's open in your town on Independence Day?

Enjoy the party.

Feb 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Bastille Day, as you know, is the French 4th of July. What's open in your town on Independence Day?>

Well in my town lots of things are open - supermarkets, drug stores, big-box stores, cafes, restaurants, etc.

Applying that criteria to Paris is nonsense as few things there will be open - laws dictate most things stay closed - though there will be restaurants open and some small stores.

I enjoyed the large military parade up the Champs-Elysees - lots of military vehicles and fly-overs by the French 'Force de Frappe' or military jets - starts around noon i believe and the President of the Republic rides in it as well.
Feb 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Lots of things are open in Paris on that day, of course restaurants are open, they want the business. Even some museums are open, although not a lot. Stores that cater to tourists will be open, and even some regular stores are open -- I remember one year the shops in Forum des Halles were open that day, at least a lot orf them. However, I would not fixate on shopping that day.
Feb 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM

When i was in Paris not long ago on Bastille Day i saw no regular shops open except in the morning some small food stores - maybe has changed in last few years.

but anyway it's not like in the U.S. where, at least where i live, the 4th has become a day of huge sales and many many large stores are open.
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Tourist things are open; that's the main thing that matters to tourists, no?

The fireworks are at 22:45 although all of the posters will announce the time as 22:30. Be there by 20:30 at the latest.
Feb 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I was hopeing that the stores in the Marias would be open, but no such luck I guess. We will rethink staying in Paris, as we can leave for Rome that day if there is transportation available. Are there taxis available?
Feb 25th, 2009, 02:41 PM

If your appreciation of Paris revolves around shopping in the Marais, perhaps you should think about leaving even sooner.
Feb 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

No, my appreciation of Paris does not revolve around shopping! We love the city and spend most of our time in your wonderful museums. We usually spend part of our last day just walking around and shopping a bit, just as many tourists do when visiting a foriegn city. I would think you would be glad that people want to spend money in your beautiful city considering the economic climate this year. With a child in the retail business in the U.S. I understand how hard these times are.
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM

It is a shame that you do not want to see one of the best celebrations that any country in the world puts on. This is fireworks shooting off of the Eiffel tower, the tower lit in all kinds of designs, music, laser light shows and an entire country in the best mood ever. I would go back for Bastille Day at the drop of a hat!
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM

I'm so glad I just read this post. We will be arriving in Paris 2.30 p.m. Bastille Day and I have also been trying to figure out what's open. We would like to buy some yummy picnic supplies and visit Rodin's Musuem before finding a spot at Champs de Mars for dinner and the fireworks. Is this possible? Also, having four young 16-22 year old girls in tow, does anyone have any advise in finding a bal des pompiers, maybe in the 6th? I hope you don't mind me piggybacking your post.
Feb 26th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Once again, THERE IS NO BASTILLE DAY IN FRANCE. When you are here no one will recognise the phrase Bastille Day. It's an Anglo Saxon invention.

In France it is known as the Fete Nationale, or more usually, the quatorze juillet - 14th July. So perhaps it's better to start thinking of it that way before you arrive in Paris.
Feb 26th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Though most tourists would WANT to be in Paris on such a day of celebration and festivities Dorie has clearly stated that would be a minus for what she wants to do.

So why try to deter her from what she wants - what she wants and not what we think she should want despite her to me rather rude comment:

don't know why this rather ugly American to me comment was relevant.
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Sorry you cosidered my comment rude and ugly American, it was not meant to be.....where we live we are seeing stores and businesses going out of business on a daily basis. We live in a very tourist driven area, and we would love our tourists to return and spend money and help the local economy. Our part of the country is hurting and it doesn't look as if it will end soon.