Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bastide de Marie, Bastide de la Gorde,La Mas de la Herbes Blanches ????
Notices

Bastide de Marie, Bastide de la Gorde,La Mas de la Herbes Blanches ????

Dec 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Bastide de Marie, Bastide de la Gorde,La Mas de la Herbes Blanches ????

Tough decision here. I was hoping to hear from Bastide de la Capelongue but, no response. I think I'd better book before they get filled up. Which has more charm? I want to feel like I'm in Provence.
Dec 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM

These names cannot be correct. Suggest you check the names and re-post.

Presumably Le Mas des Herbes Blanches, La Bastide de Gordes???

I've eaten at La Bastide de Gordes. I found it a trifle overwhelming, even oppressive, in its chic.
Dec 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM

We have friends who have stayed at the Bastide de Gordes, and they also stayed at the Marie. We were staying at a gite near Gordes both times theyn were in the area, & we toured each hotel and had dinner with them at the Marie.

Just about everyone we encountered at the Marie spoke English - both guests & servers. In fact, the bartender told us that the hotel recruits English speaking wait staff - he was from Ireland. The menu was verbally "described" to us in English - even though my wife speaks French & we understand French terms for food better than their English counterpart. The outside dining area at the Marie is spectacular - with vineyards all around. The menu selection seemed to cater to Americans more than French guests. Lost of children - they were running from the pool to the outside dining area to say "hi" to their parents while the parents were dining & the kids were eating. The Marie comlex is located in a beautiful section of the Luberon Valley. It has a gated/locked access - so no riff-raf. When we were there, I believe that it was required that guests take lunch or dinner at the hotel each day.

The Bastide de Gordes is entirely different. It clings to the rock formation on a side of Gordes. We did not have dinner there, and our friend's room was quite small (he is 6'8" & has lots of money) There is guest parking available - thank goodness.

If you don't mind feeling that you are at a resort in the Napa Valley instead of in France - then I would choose the Marie - much nicer facility.

We've spent 5 weeks vacationing in the Luberon Valley & 14 weeks elsewhere in Provence.

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread