What's an IDTGV Train?

Search

What's an IDTGV Train?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
What's an IDTGV Train?

What's an IDTGV train and what's the difference between that and TGV?

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2015, 07:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Lower class cheaper car on a TGV train.
3. Re: Trains: tgv vs. idtgv
Mar 13, 2012, 9:53 PM

Perhaps op would like to know if the COMFORT level is much different. Are the idTGV cars much different, is first class seating in and idTGV similar to the 1st class seating on a TGV for instance,, or are the cars just the same and its just the ticketing procedures that are different.

So if I pay 30 euros for a first class seat on a idTGV will I wish that I had spent that 30 euros on a second class seat on a TGV seat instead.

Personally I don't think there will be much difference, I myself booked an idTGV ticket for this summer. I don't care about getting a meal served, cause the food will suck anyways, but will pack my own. And the seats look fine to me from diagrams. I have first class Paris-Nice tickets for 39 euros. ( I only booked first class so I could get seats that face each other , I cannot sit backwards, partner can, so no matter what we get I will face forward!, and if you are two you can't book the 4 seat facing each others in 2nd class, but in first they have one on one seats.
From my ancient French lessons -TGV=tres grande vitess or very great speed. Same train cheaper seat in a cheaper car.
Old May 29th, 2015, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's just branding, that's all. Doesn't mean anything substantive. They use that brand on certain routes and not others, and in theory, there was once (may still be, haven't lookedin a while), some "themed" cars on the IDTGV, it was an attempt to appeal to young people, as I recall. I remember reading the PR statement when that "brand" was announced. LIked they had a "social" car you could book, a "quiet" car, etc. something like that anyway. However, I was in the tranquil or quiet car once on an IDTGV and it didn't mean anything as there were people with loud kids on it.

I think there are some trains that actually have some cars marked regular TGV and some marked IDTGV, but I'm not sure I'm remembering that right.
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:14 AM

The iDTGVs are nothing other than specialized TGVs. iDTGVs tend to be older rolling stock, tickets are only sold online, the level of service consists of quiet cars (no children) called iDZen or cars with a livelier ambiance, iDZap.

iDTGV tickets are available up to 5 months before any given travel date (vs. 3 months for normal TGVs); prices start around 9€ per seat (vs. the 25€ PREM pricing on normal TGVs). The lower prices or either train rise as tickets are sold and as fewer and fewer seats become available.

Many times the iDTGVs trains are physically attached to the regular TGVs; but passengers are not able to move from TGVs to iDTGVs or visa versa.

Overall, the iDTGVs are an excellent value; I take them whenever I can.
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The trains are identical to TGV trains. The older rolling stock is now operating under the Ouigo brand. iDTGV has exactly the same comfort and same services as the more expensive TGVs but they are only bookable over the internet and ticket control is made before boarding, so they also save money on ticket checkers.

Normally the trains operate as double trains hooked up to each other -- half of the train is TGV and other other half is iDTGV with different train numbers. Since there are two locomotives in the middle, obviously you can't move from one section to the other.

I defy anybody to find evidence that the iDTGV trains are older than the others. However, there are a few differences: there are baggage restrictions in iDTGV, wifi is not available, and connections are not guaranteed. If you take an iDTGV with a connection to another train, you must buy another ticket if you miss the connection.
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Are there any strictly idTGV trains - wholly idTGV - like at night or are they always hooked to proper TGV trains?

Thanks - 9 euros! What a steal!
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM

From my experience, the main difference, particularly departing Paris, is TGV first class cars are closest to the station while idTGV first class cars can be way down the platform (no big deal for most but I don't walk well).

The id first class cars have always been clean, quiet, comfortable and near the snack bar (brand snacks and vile re-heated items). As mentioned above, take your own snacks.

Regular first class may have access to an actual restaurant car, if they still exist on TGV.
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:13 AM

The iDTGV I took from Paris to Lyon was part of a combination iDTGV and TGV train. We were in the first class Zen car, upper level, single face-to-face seating. The seats were very comfortable and the decor very clean and fresh. The Zen ambiance was maintained and the trip was very pleasant.

The iDTGV we took from Toulouse to Paris was also a combo with a TGV train. Again first class, face-to-face single seats, but Zen car was not an option when booking. The car was single level and older, and in fact looked pretty identical to the TGV car we had taken a week before from Paris to Angoulême. Still very comfortable.

The iDTGV site is useful for learning more about that system. One advantage to buying tickets on that site is that you can choose your exact seats from a seat map. Be aware that the opening dates of sales for future travel differ between iDTGV and TGV.

http://www.idtgv.com/en
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Offhand except for 19 euros lowest price I can't see much difference between these and regular TGVs though at that price I'd imagine idTGVs will always be packed to the gills and the restriction on baggage. Seems to be difference in name only.
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, the lowest fare is 19€ not 9€.

<I> the main difference, particularly departing Paris, is TGV first class cars are closest to the station while idTGV first class cars can be way down the platform (no big deal for most but I don't walk well).</I>

That is true due to the control point for checking tickets needing to be down the platform after the normal TGV section. But it is wonderful if you are going to a city like Marseille or any other "terminus" station, because it means that you are the closest to the exit upon arrival.

<I>Are there any strictly idTGV trains - wholly idTGV</I>

Yes, there are some, just as there are some 100% Prem's trains. Obviously, this only concerns the biggest destinations. One interesting thing about the iDTGV trains is that sometimes there are stops along the way for TGV passengers, but the doors do not open on the iDTGV cars, because they are not part of the official itinerary for iDTGV. So even the smokers who often rush out onto the platform during a 3-minute stop are trapped on board.
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:44 AM

<i>Actually, the lowest fare is 19€ not 9€.</i>

Please excuse the typing error. I did not mean 9€. Editing capability would be wonderful.