Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Basilica di San Lorenzo : basement view of Michelangelo's artwork??

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

A friend of mine that lived in Florence for a while told me that the Basilica di San Lorenzo used to allow a few select people in the know to go into the basement and view Michelangelo's original artwork on the walls. Does anyone know if the church still allows this? If so, how can I acquire this 'golden ticket'? Thanks!!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I was told there were drawings on the walls where Michelangelo lived/slept while he was working on the Medici Chapels, but I've never heard of anyone being allowed to view the room. I think this goes beyond a golden ticket. More like platinum. I suppose you could write a letter to the basilica and see what happens. If you have a hotel reservation in Florence, you could ask the hotel to telephone the basilica for you and make inquiries.

Basilica di San Lorenzo
Piazza di San Lorenzo
50123 Firenze, Italia
Tel. 39-055-216-634
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM

If you are talking about a side "trap" door type thing right off the room of the Medici Chapels where his famous statues are, I have been there. It was MANY years ago and it happened by chance. We were next to a couple who were being guided by a private tour guide. We just followed them down there. It was indeed very fascinating and special. We later heard from many scholars that they had since carbon dated these drawings and were pretty sure they were NOT done by Michelangelo.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

ohhhh boy...very interesting...a trap door huh? I have asked my friend and she said she would tell me ONLY if I buy her a ticket to meet us in Florence. (I think she is just stalling until she can remember how the heck she got down there herself.) Even if the works are not done by Michelangelo, it would still be pretty amazing...

Jean: We are not staying in a hotel, we are renting an apt so I am pretty much on my own on this one. I will try the letter option. Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM

This room does exist, as I have personally seen it, and it was fantastic -- the highlight of the trip to Florence. I saw this back in 1982, however, and am not certain that they still allow visitors. You would have to go to the worker there and directly ask them. I've been told that if you plead hard enough, they'll take you back and let you in.