Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Basic Rome questions... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/basic-rome-questions-961514/)

Cindywho Jan 5th, 2013 06:29 AM

Basic Rome questions...

Four of us will be in Rome late May. We will buy the Roma pass because I believe it will be convenient even though we may not save money.

Questions:

I plan to buy the passes upon arrival - can this be done at the airport with a credit card?

I can't determine if I should by the Roma-PIU pass? It looks like it just adds zone b to the public transport and the only place this may help is with the Catacombs of Priscilla. We will stay at Campo de Fiori area, visit the Colosseum, Vatican, Borghese Gallery, the Pantheon, Spanish steps, Trevi Fountain (just the usual sight for first timers). I know Rome is compact and we can and will walk a lot. I don't think we need Zone b. Do you agree?

Do will still reserve tours at the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill if we use the Roma pass for entry? I know we must for the Borghese Gallery.

I am thinking about scheduling the Colosseum the first day of arrival - it will be outside in the sun which will help our jet lag. Is this a bad idea? We are early 50's and two daughters, 21 and 19.

We will need about 700 Euros cash upon arrival at the airport to pay the driver and to pay the balance on our apartment. Plus spending money. Are we limited to how much cash we can withdraw from an ATM at the airport?

Thanks for answering any of these questions!

Liadan Jan 5th, 2013 07:04 AM

There is a daily limit on how much cash you can withdraw from an ATM. It may vary a bit depending on the financial institution, but I think it's usually in the $400 range.

We're visiting Rome in February and doing many of the same things you are. My husband did the math on the Roma Pass, and it will help save (some) money. Especially if you factor in transportation.

MmePerdu Jan 5th, 2013 07:13 AM

Open another bank account, probably at a different bank or credit union, so you can withdraw enough on arrival and also so you'll have a backup card in case the first is denied for some reason. It can happen when you least expect it so an atm card "b" is always a good idea.

Cindywho Jan 5th, 2013 07:28 AM

Thank you for the help. Second bank account -good Idea. We could just place some of the funds in our daughters accounts. Last time were in Europe we opened ATM only cards as opposed to debit cards.

Cindywho Jan 5th, 2013 07:32 AM

Liadan, I like the idea of skipping lines and not having to dig out cash for metro/bus but just scanning the passes too.

Liadan Jan 5th, 2013 07:52 AM

<<Liadan, I like the idea of skipping lines and not having to dig out cash for metro/bus but just scanning the passes too.>>

Definitely! And time is money and all. =)

And speaking of money, you probably already know this, but you should call your bank/CU to tell them you'll be traveling abroad. And when you do that, be smarter than me and make sure you ask what to do if the card gets denied. We went a week in the UK without being able to access our cash.

For this trip in Feb, we got some Euros in advance. Just in case...

MmePerdu Jan 5th, 2013 08:07 AM

"What to do..." is to have enough in each ATM accessible account if 1 is denied. If one is denied or cancelled because of security concerns don't believe for a moment that your bank can remedy the situation in time to save your trip. You can, of course, rely on credit cards in such a case, be sure to call in advance also, and be sure to have at least 2.

artsbabe Jan 5th, 2013 08:11 AM

When we've had to have Euros to pay an apartment balance immediately on arrival, we've actually changed money here in the US. The rate may not be as good &/or there may be extra fees, but we feel it saves the hassle of running around to various ATMs on arrival when we're tired.

Rostra Jan 5th, 2013 08:24 AM

Or if you have a relative or close friend who's debit card *is not* tied to their saving's account (overdraft protection) put the extra cash you need there but get their checking account low just in case of theft.

Also I would always leave all my CC & Debit Card info including the phone numbers for those companies with persons I trusted in case I lost or was pickpocketed.
That way one phone call home and they could cancel that card(s) alot easier and faster than I could.

A tour and an admission ticket (RomaPass) are 2 seperate items even if you book a tour to any site you paid for the tour and are also responsible for your own admission ticket even at the Borghese Gallery.

The Catacombs of Priscilla with 4 people paying extra for the Pass's transportation maybe a taxi would be worth the extra cost?

9-10yrs ago I took a taxi from Termini to that Catacomb for 7e.

Plus if you wanted to keep the taxi cost lower you could bus to Termini with the Pass and grab a taxi there and then return back to Termini (Ask the Catacomb staff to call a taxi)?

Let's say today the cost is 9e plus a few euros extra for the pick-up so 21e for 4 vs the extended Pass' transport option or buying 8 single (for the R/T) tickets @ 1.50e.
Or pay extra to save time and get the taxi near your apartment for that leg.

Just curious, why the Catacombs of Priscilla vs the Catacombs on the Via Appia?
You could easily visit 2 of the 3 Catacombs there (plus some Roman ruins nearby) and if the Pass doesn't cover the transportation 8 tickets @1.50e would?

Also have a Plan B for your arrival day just in case everyone is not up to touring (if 1 person doesn't go they will either miss out or it will throw-off the group's schedule).
Plus there could always be delays in your arrival or problems touching base with the apartment owners.

Rostra Jan 5th, 2013 08:34 AM

I meant to add;

The Catacombs of Priscilla is an excellent choice because IME the tour group was very small, not rushed and personal for things like asking questions vs the often times larger group tours of the Via Appia Catacombs.

Plus 2 of the 3 catacombs are bus tour stops so their might be a wait for an Engish tour timeslot.

MmePerdu Jan 5th, 2013 08:58 AM

Sending ones self an email with all your credit/debit card information would be better, I think, than leaving it at home with whomever. A bank will want to hear from the cardholder, not a friend or relative, to take any action. A call or in some cases a secure email on the institution's website will be what you need to do if cards are lost.

ira Jan 5th, 2013 09:01 AM

Hi Cw

>We will need about 700 Euros cash upon arrival at the airport to pay the driver and to pay the balance on our apartment..... Are we limited to how much cash we can withdraw from an ATM at the airport?<

B: Even if your bank allows you to withdraw $1000 pd, the ATM machine at the airport might limit you to 400E per withdrawal. Be prepared to have to get the money in more than one transaction.

A: You might want to consider getting 100E at your departure airport so as to have money for the driver. It will cost about $10 more than if you wait to get to Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

gailscout Jan 5th, 2013 09:18 AM

I faced a similar problem needing to take a lot of cash for the first few days in Italy recently.
I just went to my regional bank in California where I purchased the euros I needed. My bank did have a relationship with BNP Italy to save on fees, but peace of mind won out and I ended up carrying $2000 euros with me. Turns out I seldom saw a BNP Italy bank anyway so I was glad I had the cash with me.

MmePerdu Jan 5th, 2013 09:35 AM

For me, convenience wins. I use any bank that is in my path when I need cash even if it costs a bit more. That might also be true for the apartment money, to buy it from your bank at home if it saves worry.

Rostra Jan 5th, 2013 10:35 AM

<<Sending ones self an email with all your credit/debit card information would be better, I think, than leaving it at home with whomever.>>

The clock's ticking and minutes matter, whatever will get the card cancelled the quickest.

<<A bank will want to hear from the cardholder, not a friend or relative, to take any action.>>

They don't have to know it's not you <smile>. When I said "all my card info" I should have elaborated, I meant everything card #'s, SSN, Mother's maiden name, DOB, billing address/ZIP, etc or anything else they would ask about.

<<A call or in some cases a secure email on the institution's website will be what you need to do if cards are lost.>>

I know I'm 'old school' and esp with the new internet access phones that is the way to go if you have it and it is available.

I think your idea of calling them direct is the best option though timewise.
And putting the CC phone # for international calls on speed dial would also be a good idea.

And my old fashioned thinking was; If I was bumped into on Rome's 64 bus and discover I've been pickpocketed or I'm at the Colosseum and I lost my cards by accident.

I grab my cellphone and call my relative or friend
"Joe, call the Visa CC 800# and cancel my card, Thanks, Bye".

Over the years of reading posts as to what has happened esp when a CC has been stolen, the time window is sometimes minutes before they start charging to it.
Often by the time an unprepared poster got it cancelled it was already in the $1000's.

MmePerdu Jan 5th, 2013 11:13 AM

For instant access to credit card and passport info I keep a photocopied sheet with all of it in a pocket I pin under my clothes. Both sides of the cc's so I have the bank phone numbers.

StCirq Jan 5th, 2013 12:09 PM

<<There is a daily limit on how much cash you can withdraw from an ATM>>

But there is no limit to the number of ATM machines you can hit up.

kybourbon Jan 5th, 2013 12:46 PM

>>>I plan to buy the passes upon arrival - can this be done at the airport with a credit card?<<<

Yes, but you can't use them for transport into the city from the airports. It used to be the only place you could buy them at the airport was the Comune Roma desk, not other tourist info desks in the airport. The Comune Roma is to the right as you exit baggage claim which is glass doors. Turn right, follow the hallway (you'll see train signs), floor slopes up and there are a few shops. It was on the left in the line of shops.

>>>I can't determine if I should by the Roma-PIU pass?<<<

I doubt you will have the choice in May. For the last few years only the Roma Pass has been available during the higher tourist seasons. The Roma & Piu adds Tivoli/Villa d'Este and transportation to there.

>>>It looks like it just adds zone b to the public transport and the only place this may help is with the Catacombs of Priscilla.<<<

Not correct. You should be able to use a regular Roma Pass to reach that as it's in the city of Rome (inside the GRA). You can a take city bus #86, 92 or 310 from Roma Termini or from wherever you are in Rome (just figure your route on ATAC). You have to walk the last couple of blocks as the buses don't run on Via Salaria. On ATAC (Rome's public transport website) enter your route and it will tell you the transport to take. These catacombs don't show on ATAC as a selection (many sites do) so enter Villa Ada or Via Salario as your destination instead.
http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?lingua=ENG

>>>Plus if you wanted to keep the taxi cost lower you could bus to Termini with the Pass and grab a taxi there and then return back to Termini (Ask the Catacomb staff to call a taxi)?<<<

I see no point in going to Termini. If you are staying in the historic center, you can easily catch the little electric bus 116 there and take it all the way to Borghese or get off at the upper part of Via Veneto. Both are close to Villa Ada/Catacombs and a lot of taxis around.

The only difference in transport coverage between the two passes is the FR train lines. The regular Roma Pass no longer covers the FR lines (it used to cover them to a certain point). You can see on this map the metro and train lines. The regular Roma Pass includes the train lines that are gray. The Roma & Piu includes the other train lines designated FR. Both passes are only good to the cities designated in red on the lines they cover. You'll have to enlarge this a bit.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

The city buses are covered as are the trams and electric buses that are allowed in the historic center. I use transport all the time in Rome and buy a pass every time.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5

The best use of the pass is for the Colosseum/Forum/Palantine (counts as one entrance - regular entrance cost is 12€) and Borhgese (11€). There are a couple of museums in the 12-14€ range, but you didn't list those.

As for cash, you each have a daily limit set by your bank($400?, $500?) just like you do at home, but the machines usually have a limit also (sometimes just 250€). The machines I encounter in Italy don't let you select a random amount. They have preset choices in 50€ increments. If the highest listed is 250€, you would be able to withdraw 250€ and then your husband would be able to withdraw 250€ with his card. You have to know the daily exchange rate also. If your home bank limit is $500, you would only be able to withdraw 350€ as 400€ would put you over $500 with the exchange rate. If your daily rate is $500 and the machine only allows up to 250€, you can put your card back in and do a second transaction for another 100€.

willowjane Jan 5th, 2013 01:52 PM

Ky. I am copying and pasting this great information for my trip in June! WOW!

willowjane Jan 5th, 2013 01:53 PM

How much is the Roma Pass?