Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bases to stay 15 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bases-to-stay-15-days-315491/)

Fred249 May 10th, 2003 07:09 AM

Bases to stay 15 days

My wife and I will arrive and and leave from Zurich in July. We will be in Switzerland for 15 days. We plan to use the Swiss rail system throughout. We would like to visit the Cental Switzerland area, Bernese Oberland, Lake Geneva Region,Ticino, and Valais areas. What places would you recommend that we use for bases so that we have easy access to rail, etc, as well as very nice scenery and affordable accomodations. We are not interested in "nightlife", but do enjoy cities as well as villages.
Thanks,Fred

jmw May 10th, 2003 07:37 AM

Hi Fred, I've just happened upon your question. Consider re-phrasing it to insert Switzerland, because you'll receive many more replies that way. As an alternative, go to the Support Group for Those Who Love Switzerland and then do searches for various posts from folks like S', Ursula, and Ingo. (I think you can click on their screen names and all will appear.) You'll find me there, too, but those three people know much more than I do. 15 days in Switzerland sounds like a dream, and you've picked good areas. If you stay 3 nights each (better prices for 3 or more nights), that gives you five stops. I'd suggest replacing the Valais with the Engadin. Your other four destinations get five stars from this Swiss fan. Hope to hear more from you soon. J.

swandav2000 May 10th, 2003 11:57 AM

Hi Fred,

I concur with jmw, as I usually do! I didn't fall in love with Zermatt though I felt I had to go there to see the Matterhorn. I think the village is overbuilt --

For the Ticino area, I also didn't fall in love with Lugano -- also overbuilt! I did enjoy Locarno, and others on this board have raved about Minusio outside of Locarno and Gerra & Ronco

swandav2000 May 10th, 2003 12:02 PM

(sorry, slip of the finger)

also on Lago Maggiore.

In the Bernese Oberland, I think Wengen has the best combination of convenience and beauty & charm. Grindelwald is a little bigger and more crowded; Muerren is a little smaller, less expensive, less convenient.

In the Lake Geneva area, your best bets are either Montreux (for a resort atmosphere) or Vevey (for a charming small town).

I hope you can post again with some more specific information. For instance, an "affordable" hotel for me is $150-200; is that what you mean?

Would you like recommended walks/activities in these areas? Do you know your itinerary -- order of stops?

Hope this helps!

s

Ingo May 10th, 2003 12:46 PM

According to your original plans I think you should spend three nights in Wengen, three in Montreux or Vevey, maybe two in either Zermatt or Saas Fee, four in Locarno, three in Lucerne or a nearby village on Lake Lucerne.

I would, however, second the opinions of both previous posters, jw and s, who recommended to skip Valais and go to the Engadine instead. I know that you probably want to see the Matterhorn, but keep in mind that it is often hidden in clouds, even in summer.

It would definitely be helpful if you would post a price range for accommodation. Public transportation is perfect all around Switzerland and the scenery is more than only nice almost everywhere, so the price is the criterion ...

Ingo

Fred249 May 11th, 2003 05:25 AM

Thanks for the help! We certainly appreciate, and will use your suggestions. My ideas of accomodations include small hotels, and B and B's for under $120. We have traveled extensively to other countries and try to keep it under $100 outside of the cities. All we really need is clean place with a private bath, near public transportation
Regards,
Fred

jmw May 11th, 2003 06:05 AM

OK, Fred, if you really mean that, then here are the two-star places I've found more than satisfactory: Auberge de Rivaz in the Lavaux region of Lac Leman, Hotel Hirschen in Leissigen on Lake Thun, and my beloved Hotel Panorama in Gerra-Gambarogna on Lago Maggiore. J.

swandav2000 May 11th, 2003 07:09 AM

Hi Fred,

While I don't have personal experience at either of these places, one poster recently spent some time examining hotels in that price range and thought either La Rouvenaz in Montreux or Hostellerie de Geneve in Vevey would be perfect. Both are easy walking distance to the train station, both are at the center of town, and both have websites that show clean and cozy rooms. However, both are over bustling, busy restaurants and may be noisy.

You can check them out at www.montreux.ch/rouvenaz-hotel and www.hotelgeneve.ch.

If you are willing to go beyond "near public transportation" (or if you're willing to combine train & local bus or taxi), you can check out b&bs at www.bnb.ch. You can also check out www.rooms.ch for some other options all over Switzerland.

Let us know as you progress in your plans and we'll be happy to help!

s

Mamamia May 24th, 2003 04:44 PM

Fred:

If you rely on Swiss Rail (good idea) I would (and did) base yourself in Lucern. From there you can take day trips anywhere.