Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Base SE of Pienze good for Umbria trips as well?

Jan 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are looking to do a 2 week trip of Italy in April. Still tuning the trip, but the current itinerary is:

Venice 3 nights
Cinque Terre 2 nights
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany/Umbria countryside 5 nights
Rome 2 nights

We have both been to Rome before on separate trips. I know it's not nearly enough time there and we may add a night but I'm not sure which night we would drop. The plan is to have a car for the Tuscany/Umbria part, but do the rest by train. Where I could use some advice:

1) We are looking at staying at farmhouse recommended by some friends that is just SE of Pienza (near Contignano/Radicofani). This is in the eastern part of Tuscany which seems like it would make day trips to Umbria doable...such as Perugia and Deruta. Any idea how long of a drive that would be?

2) Venice to Cinque Terre by train seems like it's going to be a full day of travel. Another option is to go from Venice to Florence, stay a couple days, then pick up a car, drive to Vernazza and park it up top in the lot for the days that we are in the CT. Which sounds like the better idea or is there another option I should think about?

Any tips gladly received. Thanks very much!

Brent
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi B,

>seems like it would make day trips to Umbria doable...such as Perugia and Deruta. Any idea how long of a drive that would be?<

See www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com

Have you considered Venice to Florence; hire car, visit countryside, drive to La Spezia, drop car; see CT; train to Rome?

It's not a bad drive along the coast from Venice to Ravenna, and fairly scenic from there to Florence.

Jan 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links to the Michelin site. Looks like the area is in pretty good proximity for day trips to everywhere we want to see, plus general exploring. It will be nice to be in one place for a few days.

Thanks also for the alternate driving suggestion. That's not a bad plan at all. Cheers! Brent
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Hi Brent,

Welcome to the forum. A trip to Umbria from Pienza is doable - either Orvieto or Perugia is about an hour drive.

The southern Tuscany area around Pienza is a lovely place. Hope you will consider visiting the abbeys at Sant'Antimo and Monte Oliveto Maggiore, and the towns of Montalcino and Montepulciano.

Also, consider doing a search on this forum for Stu Dudley - he writes often about this area and when we visited it in September we followed many of his driving recommendations. We weren't disappointed!
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...we definitely plan to visit Montalcino and Montepulciano. They are actually some of the closest towns to where we will be staying. I'll read up on the abbey's but I suspect they will be on our list as well Thanks for the pointer to Stu...I will look for his posts. Cheers!
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Brent,

Here's one drive description by Stu from the SlowTrav web site:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscan...ng_tuscany.htm

Also, info on the two abbeys by Pauline from same site:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/monte_oliveto.htm

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/sant_antimo.htm

Your trip sounds great. My best to you and your wife.

Jan 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hi Brent

If you e-mail me at [email protected], I'll send you my Italy itinerary that has the Slowtrav drive in it, and others in that area too. Our closest friends live in San Quirico - between Pienza & Montalcino. They are staying with us at this moment here in the San Francisco area - leaving Tuesday. If you have a specific detailed question, post it here & I can ask them for advice. We're doing a lot of "events" while they are here, so I may be slow to respond.

Stu Dudley