We are planning to spend time in Mosel and Rhine valley towns. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children of 15 & 14 years. We will be having time approximately 5 - 6 nights. Is it too must for this area? We would like to take it slow. We will be using public transport. We will be there around first week of May.
What are your recommendations for a conveniently located base town/village like Cochem on Mosel and Boppard on Rhine? We can do 3 nights in each place also? Any other suggestions for base towns? What are the pros and cons. Have read about other villages/towns too but what would you suggest?
Any recommendations for which hotel to stay? Would prefer a hotel or B&B with a good view and close to local eateries, Konditories and grocery stores. Are the railway stations very far from the town center in the villages?
Enjoy eating pork like schwein haxen and schaufele - any specialities for this region which are on the menu. We prefer beer / shandy but are open to having sweet wine. Which wines are sweet? We are clueless about wines so anything that tastes sweet is okay with us. Any particular local drinks to try?
What are the local must eat pastries in this region? Lastly in the Rhineland Palantinate which are the grocery chains? Is LIDL, Rewe present in this region?
Lots of Fodorites love this region. Please let me have recommendations / suggestions. What will the weather be like in first week of May?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 2 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 3 land vs river cruise
- 4 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 5 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 6 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 7 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 8 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 9 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 10 Scotland ideas
- 11 Tips for first trip to UK
- 12 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 13 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 14 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 15 The World's Greatest Churches
- 16 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 17 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 18 Malaga Christmas lights
- 19 Portugal
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 22 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 23 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 24 paris to london- day trip
- 25 Planning a Poland itinerary