We are planning to spend time in Mosel and Rhine valley towns. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children of 15 & 14 years. We will be having time approximately 5 - 6 nights. Is it too must for this area? We would like to take it slow. We will be using public transport. We will be there around first week of May.
What are your recommendations for a conveniently located base town/village like Cochem on Mosel and Boppard on Rhine? We can do 3 nights in each place also? Any other suggestions for base towns? What are the pros and cons. Have read about other villages/towns too but what would you suggest?
Any recommendations for which hotel to stay? Would prefer a hotel or B&B with a good view and close to local eateries, Konditories and grocery stores. Are the railway stations very far from the town center in the villages?
Enjoy eating pork like schwein haxen and schaufele - any specialities for this region which are on the menu. We prefer beer / shandy but are open to having sweet wine. Which wines are sweet? We are clueless about wines so anything that tastes sweet is okay with us. Any particular local drinks to try?
What are the local must eat pastries in this region? Lastly in the Rhineland Palantinate which are the grocery chains? Is LIDL, Rewe present in this region?
Lots of Fodorites love this region. Please let me have recommendations / suggestions. What will the weather be like in first week of May?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 2 two days in rome
- 3 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 4 Flight questions To Italy with Frankfurt connection
- 5 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 6 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 7 Avignon
- 8 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 9 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 10 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 11 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 12 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 13 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 14 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 15 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 16 Budget trip
- 17 Rome to Greece on a Ferry
- 18 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 19 Favorite London memories
- 20 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 21 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 22 Provence Trip Report
- 23 8 months around Europe
- 24 Tentative Spain/France Basque region itinerary
- 25 9 Day Paris & Rome with Family