I trying to figure out where to base my family during the Tuscany portion of a trip to Italy. We will probably visit Italy for 2-3 weeks, stay about a week in a city (Venice, Florence or Rome) and then head to Tuscany for a week or so. We'll probably go in September 2010 and will be traveling with our twins, who will be around 3 1/2 at the time.
I'd like a base In Tuscany that is in a beautiful setting in or near a town that is not too big, and that is well situated to exploring the area. I've never been to Tuscany (except Florence) and want to both relax and explore at a leisurely pace. However, my husband and I are foodies and one of the things we love the most about Italy is the food and eating out. So, I want to stay someplace close to good restaurants. We will probably rent an apartment or villa. Any suggestions on where to base?
Also, if there are any guidebooks that you think would help me, I'd appreciate that information too.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hip Pocket Wifi
- 2 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 3 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 4 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 5 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 6 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 7 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 8 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 9 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 10 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 11 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 12 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 13 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 14 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 15 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 16 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 17 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 18 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 19 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Has Berlin Banned Vacation Rentals?
- 22 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 23 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 24 Barcelona to Malaga
- 25 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)