Base for Touring SW Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ( 4 adults) are visiting Ireland during late September and have plans for part of our stay which we can't change but have 7 days in which to see some of the South West. We will be driving from and back to Dublin and realise that 7 days is a very short time but that is all the time we have. We would like to see (but time may not allow) Waterford, Cobh, Kilkenny, Cashel, Beara Peninsular, Dingle, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Killarney Lakes. We will have a car and are trying to decide between B&B's and moving every couple of days or renting an apartment or cottage for the week and doing day trips - had thought about the Kilmallock area as a base. Advice based on other's experience would be greatly appreciated. Clara
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:46 AM

If you don't mind day-tripping: On the Old Cork Road about a half mile south of the Courtenay Lodge (N-21) in NewcastleWest (west Limerick) there's a place called Killeline Leisure Park. It has a 34-room lodge (opened in 2000), a fully equipped 'Spa' available at no additional charge to Lodge guests with a 20m heated indoor swimming pool, steam and sauna and much hi-tech workout equipment. Do a search on Killeline - they have a web site. The Lodge is generally fully booked during the Listowel (Kerry) 'Horse Meet' which is around the second week in September.
Adjacent is Mick McCoy's Restaurant and Sports pub and an 18-hole Parkland Golf Course. Former Dail member John McCoy owns the Restaurant and Pub and the Golf Course. It's about 20-min from Dromcolloher which is on the Limerick-Cork border. Just a thought ...
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 07:32 AM

Given what you'd like to see, I'm not sure that renting a place for a week near Kilmallock is your best bet. Looks like it would involve quite a bit of backtracking.
What if you visited Kilkenny and Cashel on your way west from Dublin. Then, base yourselves around Killarney for a few days and visit Beara, Dingle, and Killarney Natl. Park. If time allows, you could then head north to Clare to see the Cliffs and the Burren before heading back to Dublin.
Trying to fit in Cobh and Waterford would be tricky. (Although, frankly, I haven't tried because I'm a west coast lover.)
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mary, I think that's why we are having trouble deciding - tossing up whether the back tracking outweighs the advantages of having a self catered base. I was hoping that someone who had toured that area in a similar time-frame could advise on how best to do it. We'll keep working on it! Clara
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM

I see 9 places on your list, some of which are as much areas as specific locations. Many of them could easily take a day themselves, depending on what you enjoy doing.

I would see multiple bases as well. Maybe in order to optimize your time and minimize the moving, two or three bases? I don't have a specific recommendation for accommodations, but you may want to look at Lismore as a base for the southeast portion. Personally, we found Waterford not as enjoyable as other places. The factory tour was interesting but not the town as much. However, Lismore is a pleasant, gentile sort of small town with a castle (private) hovering over it and is centrally located to Kilkenny, Cashel, Cobh and Waterford. Catch what you can - Kilkenny most likely - on the way out of Dublin before setting up for the night.

Like Mary, I'd base another part of the trip somewhere around Killarney. Beara is quite a sight and feels a bit more off the beaten path as west coast areas go.

I like the idea of staying in one place and relaxing, but with a list like yours, I think you wouldn't save any travel time with a single base.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:12 AM

Check out http://www.irishvacationrental.com
There are self catering holiday homes in the South West to cater for all needs
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:58 PM

We had a cottage close to Dingle for one week and used it as a base for day trips in the southwest. We found that it was too much of backtracking and we would have done much better staying in B&Bs. We ended up in staying overnight in some areas although we had our cottage waiting for us! My recommendations for B&Bs would be Sallyport House in Kenmare, Heaton's Guesthouse in Dingle and the Fortview House near Goleen. I would skip Cobh and Waterford.
Have fun!
Karen
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Your advice has persuaded me that we would gain nothing by trying to day trip to the areas we would like to see from a single base. B&B's it is!
Clara