Base for Touring Provence, France

Aug 15th, 2005, 09:29 AM
sbg
Original Poster

Base for Touring Provence, France

I would appreciate any advice from former Provence travellers. I will be travelling to Provence with my husband and daughter in June 2006. I have been able to find reservations at two different hotels - both highly recommended according to my research. Does anyone have any pros or cons on either location.

First: St. Remy - Chateau des Alpilles
Second: Le Baux de Provence - Mas de l'Oulivie

We will use the hotel as a base for our 8 night stay and spoke out on day trips - much easier when travelling with a 7 yr. old.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Aug 15th, 2005, 09:35 AM

The Château des Alpilles is an elegant hotel in an excellent location--easy to go off in a variety of directions for sightseeing and other activities.

The hotel up at Les Baux would mean some driving up and down to go places, and there are only limited restaurants (some quite expensive) in the immediate area.

So I'd opt for the Château des Alpilles, which is quite near St-Rémy and the roads to Arles, the Pond du Gard, Nîmes, and Avignon.
Aug 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Near the PonT du Gard, too.
Aug 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Having stayed in St.Rémy as my base a couple of times my choice without any question is there. However, to take full advantage of the location I would prefer a place on or near the circular road that surrounds the town so one could spend a relaxing couple of evenings without using the car or worry about parking.There are lovely shops and a couple of good restaurants. Give me a couple of days so I can get to my archives.

Search this Thread