Base City For Four Days in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending 4 days in Switzerland in May, 2014. I'd rather stay in just one city/town, rather than move from place to place. Where would you suggest as a good base? I want to experience the Alps, and also love small towns, villages, etc. as well as cities which have charm and personality. I am a pretty typical tourist, so don't mind "touristy" places. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 04:40 PM
kja

You might want to consider options in the Bernese Oberland, although May could be a tad early for that area. If that area does interest you, you might consider Bern itself if you want mostly the city and town options, with easy access to the mountains; or Lauterbrunnen if you want mostly the Alps, with easy access to cities and towns; or Interlaken if you want both.

I got some GREAT info when I planned a 30-day trip to Switzerland that I took last May/June -- you might want to look at my planning threads. There were 2, and you can find them by clicking on my name.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM

I like Lucern as a central spot to stay. There is a gorgeous lake with steamers to charming villages nearby and you can take trams or cable cars to ascent nearby mountains (Pilatus, Rigi, Titlus) as well as all the sights in Lucern itself.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 08:54 PM

Both Luzern and Bern are good options - you have some city comforts and selections that smaller towns don't offer, and in May the in-between season can be awkward in alpine places where skiing has ceased and the summer season isn't ready (some passes still not open, late snowfalls possible etc.). From both Bern and Luzern you're quickly up on some nearby peaks, and on the lakes, and when the weather doesn't cooperate you have museums and shopping etc.

Another good one - the mild climate of the French-speaking Swiss Riviera, namely the region of Montreux and Vevey along the Lake Geneva (http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/t...ra-region.html).

Lots of great excursion targets for good days, a quick trip to Lausanne for the Olympic museum (www.olympic.org/museum) or such city pastimes when the sun doesn't shine (www.sbb.ch) , some boat trips (www.cgn.ch), a look at early wildflowers up on Les Rochers de Naye with stupendous views (http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/r...-montreux.html) and the historic Chillon castle nearby (www.chillon.ch/en/index.cfm), a day trip into France to Chamonix-Mont Blanc (http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/train..._6964_262.aspx) and more.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:50 AM

I second Lucerne. The mountains are closer than in Bern and you have the lake right there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:28 AM

All depends on the places you want to visit.
If you are looking for a inner alpine travel hub, you may check Brig.
Yourney times from Brig by public transport:

Riederalp (Aletsch Glacier): 1 hr
Belalp (Aletsch Glacier): 50 min
Simplon Pass: 45 min
Saas Fee: 1 hr
Zermatt: 1 hr 30 min
Kippel Loetschental: 35 min
Leukerbad (thermal spa): 1 hr
Gemmi Pass: 1 hr 30 min
Grimentz Val d'Anniviers: 1 hr 40 min
Evolene Val d'Herens: 1 hr 20 min
Crans-Montana: 1 hr
Montreux Lake Geneva: 1 hr 20 min
Spiez Lake Thun: 35 min
Stresa Lake Maggiore: 55 min
Kandersteg: 35 min
Interlaken: 1 hr
Beatus caves: 1 hr 40 min
Berne: 1 hr
Lucerne: 2 hrs 10 min
Milan: 1 hr 50 min
Google for these places if you are interested in
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM

If you pick Brig (a good idea) then I might add to the above list:

www.swisscastles.ch/Valais/valere/default_d.htm - the church and castle in nearby Sion/Sitten (the site is in French but it's mostly pictures and they are in English...) - about 40 minutes

Villars-sur-Ollon www.villars.ch/en/index.cfm just under 2 hours

The aforementioned Montreux (1:22 hr) and Les Rochers de Naye http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/r...-montreux.html

Verbier www.verbier.ch/en about 2 hrs

The top of the alps at Andermatt (about 2 hours) and St. Gotthard region - see http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/a...-gotthard.html
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 04:47 AM

Merci Michel! There would be so many places to add!
For example
Brigerbad, Breiten, Ovronnaz, Saillon and Lavey (thermal spas)
Z'Maggenen/Macugnaga and Zum Staeg/Ponte Formazza: unspoilt Walser villages with direct bus connections from Domodossola after the arrival of the Brig dp 8.44 train
Mund and it's Safran Museum
the highest vineyard of Europe at Visperterminen
the oldest playable organ of the world at Sion
the underground lake at St. Leonard
the roman theatre at Martigny
the reduit fortress of St- Maurice
the salt mines of Bex
the water channel museum (musee des bisses) at Botyre
Swiss Vapeur Park and Acquapark at Bouveret
the gold mines at Gondo
the earth pyramids at Euseigne
the sanctuaries of Sacromonte (Domodossola) and Re
the castle and the botanical gardens at Isola Bella
the botanical gardens at Isola Madre and Villa Taranto
the breathtaking panorama over Italian lakes and Alps (from Grand Paradiso up to Ortles) from Mottarone (cable car from Stresa)
the Island of San Giulio in Lake Orta
the Tropenhaus Frutigen
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:11 PM

...“There would be so many places to add!” Absolutely! How about just a few more:

~ Take the fast train through the Simplon tunnel and switch to the regional FART train on the scenic route through the Centovalli (“100 Valleys”) region from Domodossola to Locarno - see www.centovalli.ch (take your passport just in case, you’re passing through a stretch of Italy, although there are no regular border checks any longer)

~ Once you’re in Locarno, take the three-stage trip up to Cimetta via Orselina and Cardada - see http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/cime...ast-stage.html

~ In Locarno, climb up to the Madonna del Sasso church complex

~ Goms valley below the three alpine passes Furka, Nufenen and Grimsel - with a hotel: www.blinnenhorn.ch

~ Turtmanntal above Leuk - picturesque as can be, and not many tourists
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM

Turtmanntal: the bus from Oberems to Gruben/Meiden runs from June 14th until Sept 14th only.

I didn't mention Locarno because it's more than 2 hrs away from Brig.
The classical Lake Maggiore - Centovalli roundtrip would be:
Brig dp 8.44 - train - Stresa 9.38/10.00 - boat - Isola Bella 10.05/12.40 - boat - Intra 13.29/14.10 - bus - Brissago 14.55/15.40 - boat - Locarno 16.35/18.48 - Centovallil train - Domodossola 20.36/20.48 - train - Brig ar 21.16
or, without the Borromean Islands
Brig dp 7.44 - Simplon - Centovalli - Locarno ar 10.19, dp by boat 16.15 - Stresa 19.15/19.56 - train - Brig ar 21.16