Barri Gothic in Barcelona - safe?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:29 AM
martha

Barri Gothic in Barcelona - safe?

Hello! I am planning a trip to Spain this May and have been researching hotels in the Barri Gothic (Gothic quarter). Does anyone have any experience with any safety issues in this Quarter - is it safe at night to walk around?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:56 AM
JR

I stayed at a hotel on the Grand Via. Close to the Placa Catalunya, which was a block away from the Barri Gothic. It was nice. I felt safe but would take the usual precautions when traveling - keep your eyes open and your $ close to your heart

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Dali

We stayed above the Placa Cataluna in the Eixamplle area and felt very safe. We spent a lot of time in the Barri Gotic, sometimes late at night coming back from resturaunts, etc. Barri Gotic can be dangerous if you are not careful or aware at all times. Like JR said - keep you eyes open and money close to your heart. Beware of Gypsies that try to give you flowers or spill something on you and try to wipe it off. Don't stay away from the Barri Gotic - it is a wonderful area - just be aware of where you are.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Meg

Martha, I was there last November and yes it's safe and very much worth visiting. Just like any place you visit you should be aware of your surroundings (as the other posters have stated). I think tourists are often targets for petty crime because they are easily distracted by other things.

I would suggest you buy a good map of Barcelona when you arrive. I got one at a tobacco shop at the airport and found it invaluable because many little streets don't have names or aren't on other maps.

At night there were many, many people strolling around near our hotel. Spanish cities really come alive after 10 pm. Have a great time!!!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Capo

Hi Martha. The Barri Gotic is, IMO, quite safe. The one area that is *supposed* to be fairly seedy is the "southwest" portion, a triangular section west of La Rambla and somewhat south of Gaudi's Palau Guell, called the Barri Xines (I think). However, there are no tourist hotels or sights in that section that I'm aware of so you'd have no reason to go there.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:32 AM
frank

Stay away from the area Capo mentions - to the right of the ramblas as you walk down, nearer the bottom.Its crazy.You will be targetted in seconds.The other side is OK.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Jim

Follow this link: http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/...275/barna.html
It's a page somebody developed about Barcelona. Scroll down and follow the link about street scams in Barcelona. It gives detailed descriptions of the kind of petty crime you can encounter and if you read it, you'll be fully prepared for anything that happens.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Greg

Jim,
Thanks for posting the above website. It was very informative, especially the link about street scams. This should be required reading for all people travelling in any city. Plus, it's quite entertaining!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 01:02 PM
Lisa

We stayed at the Hotel Suizo, a modest but comfortable hotel adjacent to the cathedral. Request a room with parquet wood floors. Three years ago, it was about $50 a night, but the dollar is even stronger now and I bet it's a better deal. I was traveling with my husband, and we felt safe at all times. We were one block from the fantastic Museu Musica, the Picasso Museum, and three blocks from the ramblas.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Betty

I have just returned from a fabulous fve days in Barcelona. We stayed at the Hotel Colon, right on the cathedral square, and felt safer walking "home" at night from concerts or late dinners than we do here in the states.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 01:52 PM
michelle

We spent 3 days in Barcelona on July and felt quite safe. we stayed further out at the Hilton but spent our evenings in the Barri Gothic and La Rambla. We were told to watch out for gypsies and heard several stories about them dropping change in front of you as a ploy for you to reach over and pick it up while they picked your pocket. You may wish to stay in another area and visit the Barri Gothic during the day and early evening. Do not miss the city historical museum in the Barri Gothic--it is a gem if you enjoy ancient excavations of the Roman period.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Barbara

I have been to Spain many times. Listen to all posted advice so far PLUS watch metro exits especially if someone 'drops' something in front of you- others are coming from behind! Also, friends were mugged twice on las ramblas and my group (4 of us!!) was mugged in Madrid waiting to cross a busy street. Again, from behind. These guys were Arabs- not Spaniards.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:33 PM
xxxx

I was in Barcelona in December and loved it. My hotel was in the Eixample area which was a perfect choice for me.(safe,clean,safe) however, I spent a lot of time in the Barri Gotic eating, shopping, in the evenings. It is very very dark on many of the ancient winding streets and it sometimes feel a little"creepy." When other people are walking on the same street it feels fine, but when the streets become deserted it isn't a great"safe" feeling. a good idea is to spend a day or 2 during the day and become familiar with the area so that you have an idea where you are for the night time.People are out very late in Barcelona so there are always tons of people going to restaurants,clubs, and cafes at all hours. Barcelona is beautiful.S

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Annie

The url given by Jim is a very good page to read for anyone going to Barcelona. Tks Jim!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Lesley

I have stayed several times in the Barri Gotic and it's a lovely area, and parts of it are quite safe at night. The hotels can be a bit noisy, so if noise bothers you ask for a room at the back (ie not facing the street). I would not go into the area south of the Plaze Real at night. In fact, I'd think twice about going there in the daytime if no-one else is around. I find it quite threatening. And the area on the other side of the southern part of the Ramblas, the Barri Xino (Chinese Quarter) is the red light district. Take great care on the Rambla itself. It is totally safe there but a magnet for pick-pockets. Barcelonas stay up late at night. The general rule is that if there are people around, it's generally safe.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:16 AM
michele

All the advice you've received is excellent. I would advise you to be aware, but not so paranoid as to ruin your trip, at all times. My husband had his pocket picked in the suburbs outside Barcelona.